Police house search

watcharacters

They enter your Wife's House ,you own FA here fortunately.[emoji379][emoji481]

Why could it not be his house ?

Unless its a Condo ferangs own nothing here apart from a disillusion they think they do by renting,or the 30 year lease cobblers.I buy 2 Houses here,and need permission from my Mrs to live in them, and to get a Visa Extension by Marriage, same for many here.NUFIN wrong in that.25 Years and not found my Cases on the Step YET.gigglem.gifcoffee1.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It angers me that a farang thinks he has any right to be involved in anything involving Thais. They are there to assist FARANGS in the event of trouble, but some of them think the uniform makes them into a real cop. I won't say what I really think of them, but you can guess, I'm sure.

The 2 old farang cops at Nai Harn , Phuket , actually do the opposite.

They help the Thai cops there shake down farangs.

The latest is to insist farangs must have Thai Licenses or International driving permits ( with the motorbike symbol stamped ) in order to ride scooters through that area.

If not a 400 baht fine ....

When you move to Thailand from a western country.....

Your "rights" do not fit into your suitcase.

You can't bring them with you.

Some people think that human rights are Universal. That really is the point isn't it?

let us be realistic about this, having rights and being able to use them are two different things,here and in many parts of the world.

I do not want sound like an A---hole, but I really do think this is a case of nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Would I want jackboots marching over my house looking for non-existant evidence. .. . . Hell No

Am I going to resist ? Hell No

You aint in Kansas no more Dorothy.

I would be worried that they come into the house to plant illegal stuff. Then ask for money to make it go away.

It angers me that a farang thinks he has any right to be involved in anything involving Thais. They are there to assist FARANGS in the event of trouble, but some of them think the uniform makes them into a real cop. I won't say what I really think of them, but you can guess, I'm sure.

The 2 old farang cops at Nai Harn , Phuket , actually do the opposite.

They help the Thai cops there shake down farangs.

The latest is to insist farangs must have Thai Licenses or International driving permits ( with the motorbike symbol stamped ) in order to ride scooters through that area.

If not a 400 baht fine ....

I used to do work as a volunteer for the tourist police, believe it or not we were there to help the farang. The reason the tourist police should interview a suspect before the police (it is your right) is to make sure that the police can't add anything or force other statements from you, you make a signed statement in English with the tourist police which is translated to Thai and then is filed away for further use before court if needed. Some farang are just right idiots who cause unnecessary work, we even had a Canadian who walked in and wanted to make a statement about his 10 Baht lighter being stolen in a bar, the tourist police were very patient and filed the report with my help,he insisted that they go to the bar and take statements, i lost my temper with him stood up and gave him 10 Baht and told him to piss off.

If I remember 1997 or 1998.

The police need a warrant from the court to search a private residence or area.

The warrant must also be served by a RTP officer with at least 1 star.

Private also includes an office if only employees are are allowed in.

Now all bets are off if you invite them in. I have had 2 visits from the tax office in the past. I did not allow them in, my office is private and told them to go see my bookkeeper, they left and never came back.

If you allow them in they can look around and plant things talk to Thai employees (a no,no)

With a warrant the warrant will be specific what they are looking for.

Just my experience, but they will try hoping you don't know your rights. I have seen many Thai's get screwed by inviting the Police in for coffee or water.

Know your rights under Thai law, you do have them!

I do not want sound like an A---hole, but I really do think this is a case of nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Would I want jackboots marching over my house looking for non-existant evidence. .. . . Hell No

I tend to agree, until they plant something in your home and attempt to extort you over it.

I think the OP was not reacting to the fact that there was a search of a house without search warrant. What appears shocking also to me is that from what I understood, Everyone in the mooban was forced out of their houses and told to kneel on the ground. This hardly a standard or approved way of conducting police business in any country.

When you move to Thailand from a western country.....

Your "rights" do not fit into your suitcase.

You can't bring them with you.

Some people think that human rights are Universal. That really is the point isn't it?

People can think whatever they want...but that is not the real world.

In any country .... if a house is considered a drug haven or suspected of manufacturing or possessing illegal substances the police will come knocking.

Can be Thailand or France or Australia.

Agreed, but they need a warrant which is based on probable cause

About 12 years ago in Phuket I was subject to a warrant and search of my property.

They showed me a warrant which I could not read, took my handphone and made me sit down while 6 police searched my house...and were mostly interested in my computers.

I knew I had nothing to fear, but there is always that thought about what they might "find" that wasn't there before they arrived.

After they searched for about an hour and found nothing, and made a mess, they turned their attention to my cars, and one of them did not have the blue book because I was changing some province details. I was allowed to call my staff and they had copies of all documents, but they were pretty keen on that car.

They helped themselves to drinks and ask me a few questions about what I did there, checked passports, visa, work permits etc and everything was in order. Made me sign a document that they had put everything back the way it was and nothing was found.

The funniest part was when my staff asked to see the warrant and saw that it was for the wrong house number....so the senior police simply scribbled out the incorrect number and put my house number on it.

Reason for the search was that someone has told the police that I was using my computers to obtain funds illegally - it's called a bank transfer...

Based on my experience, they needed a warrant...even though it was incorrect...

..considering the reported cases of drugs or other contraband being 'planted'.....

...having practically no rights....no support system...no impartial witnesses....no way to communicate or explain or defend oneself....

...I object....

...but like many have said here...nothing you can do...

The following matches what I was assuming (I am not a jurist nor can I rate the credibility of the source).

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law-library/legal_library/warrant_of_arrest_in_thailand.php

Police may conduct searches and seizures without a warrant when he has reasonable grounds to believe that the suspect has in his possession:

1. Articles that may be used to commit a crime;
  2. The fruits of a crime;
  3. Illegal items (like illegal substances).

AND: also in countries with rule of law there is a situation of "imminent danger" where police can search without a warrant.

If you come down from Laos or Myanmar and think they may not search your car/belongings then you are plain naive.

As a further point - the country is currently under military rule that is operating under Article 44 of the military's handcrafted Provisional Constitution. Article 44 allows the authorities to waive personal liberties and rights on a whim. The RTP are under military command and has the authority of Article 44 by extension. That means NO PROBABLE CAUSE is necessary to conduct searches and arrests.

The military/RTP can kidnap a person, move to a secret "safehouse" at any time of day and interrogate the person without benefit of counsel or witnesses. Additionally under the PC, the military and RTP as a subordinate of the military have immunity for any of their actions, ie., abuse of power.

Rubbish......

I thought the same trans, I mean who the hell is Dorothy?

Picture this.

Your on you knees with your arms behind your back. Several Policeman are searching your home looking for drugs.

Are you really go to start mouthing off about your rights of search.

hey the best of luck with that, don't forget to pick your teeth off the floor, before setting your broken jaw.

I would not let them in my house without a search warrant. I would also demand to be present or someone else I trusted while they searched as I do not totally trust the police and planting drugs is not unheard of when making a shakedown. They MUST have a search warrant. I believe that the only time where one is not required is when they actually see an offence being committed in front of them, such as a man smoking weed or shooting up in plain sight, selling counterfeit goods, etc.

Wake up call,,

this is not my birth country

i'm not a citizen,,, therefore,

i'm a guest in this country

but, i invest so much money here,,

thank you, now go away,,,

i have no where to go !

so behave yourself and close mouth

remember army in charge and they

have guns and bullets, they own this

country, do you want to argue?

the types of rights you are referring to don't exist as much in third world countries.

that's the big trade off, you have more freedom under the radar, but less when things get sticky.

does not make nay difference what country you are.

the only thing that counts is the evidence and that will be covered with the right warrant.

Even recent war are started this way, as we all know about how the USA did arrange a few things in for example in the middle east

There is no change just be smart and understand the game.

Police can enter and search any house without a warrant any time of the day. However after 6pm a warrant is needed.

Wrong. Warrant needed and search must be between sunrise and sunset.

you are correct with this....

as you know as well ....... thing are arranged in many many countries too.

just play the game and understand you are part of the game.

the types of rights you are referring to don't exist as much in third world countries.

that's the big trade off, you have more freedom under the radar, but less when things get sticky.

This is another case of one set of rules for the rich and another set for the poor.

I have read in multiple news stories concerning the homes of Pu Yai's or other connected individuals, who have flatly refused entry to police that were not in position of a valid search warrant.

In most cases the police were turned away.

TiT

And the OP would be able to tell the difference between an official Thai search warrant and (for example) a letter approving overtime pay for the cop? Both will have dates he can't read and lots of official signatures and impressive stamps.

If the OP really needs the definitive answer on this, he can always call his Embassy.

Maybe, but some people do make the effort to integrate and learn the language.

You stated "I do not want sound like an A---hole, but I really do think this is a case of nothing to hide, nothing to fear."

Well,..I do remember a case in Thailand some years ago,...When the Thaksin Shinawatra regime had it's war on drugs....!!!

In a small community a young couple just bought a new car, did some extensive work on there house and visibly spend a lot of money....

The neighbours and Pu Yai Baan were getting jealous of all that money spending...and informed the police that the young couple were probably involved with drugs...The police came in force and shot the young couple...couldn't find any drugs (so the planted them)...

Later it was discovered that the young couple had won a substantial sum on the lottery and wanted to keep it quiet.....nothing to hide nothing to fear eh ?!?!?!?

regards.

In any country .... if a house is considered a drug haven or suspected of manufacturing or possessing illegal substances the police will come knocking.

Can be Thailand or France or Australia.

In most normal countries, not without a search warrant. Otherwise their case will fall apart due to illegal entry.

The part that bothers me is that your on your knees in front of your house and they are inside doing or planting what?