Police house search

watcharacters

I have no objections to the police entering my home to make inquiries, no problems with that because I don`t do anything wrong, not intentionally anyway. But what about if a policeman is particularly aggressive and starts ransacking the place or evidence is planted? If the police have to justify a home search by requesting a warrant a least there are third parties involved and not just the words of the police. Also if the police have such powers to enter private property at their discretion it then becomes a police state and that can leave as vulnerable to their mercies. Don`t think I like that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember 1997 or 1998.

The police need a warrant from the court to search a private residence or area.

The warrant must also be served by a RTP officer with at least 1 star.

Private also includes an office if only employees are are allowed in.

Now all bets are off if you invite them in. I have had 2 visits from the tax office in the past. I did not allow them in, my office is private and told them to go see my bookkeeper, they left and never came back.

If you allow them in they can look around and plant things talk to Thai employees (a no,no)

With a warrant the warrant will be specific what they are looking for.

Just my experience, but they will try hoping you don't know your rights. I have seen many Thai's get screwed by inviting the Police in for coffee or water.

Know your rights under Thai law, you do have them!

Looks like going into business here can be dangerous for your health. Rights under Thai law now that is a good one. It all depends on who is applying them. From what I have seen here they make things up as they go along. After my g/f told me what happened to her parents some 10 years ago for which they spent 9 years in jail I have come to the conclusion there is no law only corruption. PS a nicer older couple you could never meet.

Having been in a similar situtation, they need a search warrant, unless they can provide prior evidence of law breaking.

And as we know Thais in general can have loss of face, so it would not be beyond belief for evidence to be planted.

You are in your right to state how many can enter and to be present in each room and to film the search....sounds excessive? Not if you want to be in the clear!

Edited by Pdavies99

Picture this.

Your on you knees with your arms behind your back. Several Policeman are searching your home looking for drugs.

Are you really go to start mouthing off about your rights of search.

hey the best of luck with that, don't forget to pick your teeth off the floor, before setting your broken jaw.

in civilized countries such things do not happen. and for sure no search without a warrant

It angers me that a farang thinks he has any right to be involved in anything involving Thais. They are there to assist FARANGS in the event of trouble, but some of them think the uniform makes them into a real cop. I won't say what I really think of them, but you can guess, I'm sure.

The 2 old farang cops at Nai Harn , Phuket , actually do the opposite.

They help the Thai cops there shake down farangs.

The latest is to insist farangs must have Thai Licenses or International driving permits ( with the motorbike symbol stamped ) in order to ride scooters through that area.

If not a 400 baht fine ....

Other than they should not be doing the stopping, the checkpoint isn't unusual for LOS. They have them in Chiang Mai. I had to pay 200 baht at the cop shop 'cause the missus forgot to pay the registration.

I don't get your point though. If you don't have a Thai DL you have to have one from your own country and an IDP to drive in Thailand.

The cops would be minting it on the islands if they had check points there. Loads of stupid farang tourists rent bikes that never rode a m'bike before- can't get insurance either when they have an accident.

Police can enter and search any house without a warrant any time of the day. However after 6pm a warrant is needed.

Wrong. Warrant needed and search must be between sunrise and sunset.

you are correct with this....

as you know as well ....... thing are arranged in many many countries too.

just play the game and understand you are part of the game.

if possible never let cops onto you premises. if you do, just allow one and get a camera on them. sounds paranoid but i know what they do. call a lawyer if you can to be a witness.

Wake up call,,

this is not my birth country

i'm not a citizen,,, therefore,

i'm a guest in this country

but, i invest so much money here,,

thank you, now go away,,,

i have no where to go !

so behave yourself and close mouth

remember army in charge and they

have guns and bullets, they own this

country, do you want to argue?

Yes, just continue to lick that boot.

cops can do anything they want. they are above the law because they are the law. i have had some limited dealings with them over a work permit issue. i now pay a small monthly donation. not sure if it achieves anything but hope it means i wont be locked up in their cells again.

Too many Judge Dredd comics.

They enter your Wife's House ,you own FA here fortunately.[emoji379][emoji481]

Why could it not be his house ?

Unless its a Condo ferangs own nothing here apart from a disillusion they think they do by renting,or the 30 year lease cobblers.I buy 2 Houses here,and need permission from my Mrs to live in them, and to get a Visa Extension by Marriage, same for many here.NUFIN wrong in that.25 Years and not found my Cases on the Step YET.gigglem.gifcoffee1.gif

Allowed to live in a house that you bought in you your wife's name, for longer than it takes the paint to dry?

Surely that's not possible?

I'm sure I read that on the Internet somewhere........

cops can do anything they want. they are above the law because they are the law. i have had some limited dealings with them over a work permit issue. i now pay a small monthly donation. not sure if it achieves anything but hope it means i wont be locked up in their cells again.

Too many Judge Dredd comics.

they came with immigration on a friday afternoon. this means i was going to spend 3 nights in the cells sleeping on a concrete floor to get out monday morning. 3 nights i would have been willing to pay alot to get out. they seemed to be scared of my lawyer and i managed to post bail and get out by 2am sat morning. anyone thinking about starting a business in thailand i would suggest you think twice about it.

I have no objections to the police entering my home to make inquiries, no problems with that because I don`t do anything wrong, not intentionally anyway. But what about if a policeman is particularly aggressive and starts ransacking the place or evidence is planted? If the police have to justify a home search by requesting a warrant a least there are third parties involved and not just the words of the police. Also if the police have such powers to enter private property at their discretion it then becomes a police state and that can leave as vulnerable to their mercies. Don`t think I like that.

You are at their mercy.

Last I heard the Military was running this place. I believe that is called a Police State. They can and will do what they want.

PS: Police corruption happens everywhere. Even in the good old USA. On a daily basis I bet.

Edited by bkk6060

In any country .... if a house is considered a drug haven or suspected of manufacturing or possessing illegal substances the police will come knocking.

Can be Thailand or France or Australia.

In most normal countries, not without a search warrant. Otherwise their case will fall apart due to illegal entry.

and you don't think they will put together a search warrant a couple of days later ? all they need is a signature ....

In the normal countries? And if there were illegal items on the premises, do you suppose they would still be there when the police returned with the warrant?

You are at their mercy.

Last I heard the Military was running this place. I believe that is called a Police State. They can and will do what they want.

PS: Police corruption happens everywhere. Even in the good old USA. On a daily basis I bet.

A police state is what it implies. The Soviet Union under Stalin, Kruschev, Brezhnev, et al, was policed by the KBG: the secret police. In East Germany, it was the Stasi. Thailand policed by the BiB doesn't really qualify - thankfully.

the types of rights you are referring to don't exist as much in third world countries.

that's the big trade off, you have more freedom under the radar, but less when things get sticky.

in the countries of NATO and the Warsaw Pact necessarily present?

PS I hear Singapore a Third World country. Or Singapore is part of any military alliance?

biggrin.png

You are at their mercy.

A police state is what it implies. The Soviet Union under Stalin, Kruschev, Brezhnev, et al, was policed by the KBG: the secret police. In East Germany, it was the Stasi. Thailand policed by the BiB doesn't really qualify - thankfully.

KBG??cheesy.gif

Sorry

A police state where the police authorities on the law, or authorities is the law ,the court, the prosecutor and the lawyer in one person.

SO in Thailand nothing metter laws gust metter power authorities( police).

its not bed and not good.

its how is used.

In any country .... if a house is considered a drug haven or suspected of manufacturing or possessing illegal substances the police will come knocking.

Yes but Police will first need proper search warants in France or Australia...Pls think first before u start to write.

I do not want sound like an A---hole, but I really do think this is a case of nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Would I want jackboots marching over my house looking for non-existant evidence. .. . . Hell No

Am I going to resist ? Hell No

You aint in Kansas no more Dorothy.

Unwise to do in Kansas these days' as well. Actually, happy to be out of the U.S., too many reports of, "oops, sorry, wrong address".

You are at their mercy.

No logic to your reasoning. There is always going to be police corruption in all countries, but at least in America and in England a citizen can fight for justice against the police in the courts and use the media to discredit them if the police overstep the mark. Try doing that in Thailand and you`re probably end up beaten to a pulp and thrown in a cell to rot.

You are at their mercy.

No logic to your reasoning. There is always going to be police corruption in all countries, but at least in America and in England a citizen can fight for justice against the police in the courts and use the media to discredit them if the police overstep the mark. Try doing that in Thailand and you`re probably end up beaten to a pulp and thrown in a cell to rot.

Actually, you verified my logic and reasoning.

Yes but Police will first need proper search warants in France or Australia...Pls think first before u start to write.

If police think a residence is harboring a convicted criminal or is suspected of high level crime they will enter with guns blazing, they will not diddy daddy around waiting for paper work.... I know as I have been there done that. Pls think b4 u start to write.

If police think a residence is harboring a convicted criminal or is suspected of high level crime they will enter with guns blazing, they will not diddy daddy around waiting for paper work.... I know as I have been there done that. Pls think b4 u start to write.

But they need to have a valid reason for their selection of a particular residence, such as a getaway car parked in the driveway, the window in the front door broken but no glass on the outside of the door, etc. They cannot just walk down a street and bust into all houses hoping that one of them houses the target.

Yes please do think before you start writing and use proper English, one assumes your not a "gangsta" with your trousers hanging half way down your ass and a bandanna

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/crime-and-police/being-arrested-and-police-custody/being-searched/

http://www.mintpressnews.com/supreme-court-rules-police-do-not-need-a-warrant-to-search-your-home/206199/

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/11/24/france-new-emergency-powers-threaten-rights

But they need to have a valid reason for their selection of a particular residence, such as a getaway car parked in the driveway, the window in the front door broken but no glass on the outside of the door, etc. They cannot just walk down a street and bust into all houses hoping that one of them houses the target.

yes you are correct, they don't just bust someone's door in on a possible suspect residence or occupant, normally there is top level investigation before even getting the nod from the senior Sergent and above. They will not just go on a tip off, normally we did a quick surveillance to gather further evidence to support a bust, and if all is good then it's on, usually within a day or two max.

yes you are correct, they don't just bust someone's door in on a possible suspect residence or occupant, normally there is top level investigation before even getting the nod from the senior Sergent and above. They will not just go on a tip off, normally we did a quick surveillance to gather further evidence to support a bust, and if all is good then it's on, usually within a day or two max.

Yes, if it has been an ongoing investigation.

But, if the cops do a " buy/bust" they may be going to the residence based upon infomation from a CI or UC. They don't need a warrant to buy dope. Based on the circumstances, they may enter the residence at this point looking for additional suspects and making sure evidence is not destroyed. During this process, anything within "plane sight" is fair game. They may get a warrant after for additional seizures.

A " buy/bust" is quite common. No warrant necessary.

That's exactly what happened in Boston. They went door to door searching everywhere.

Sure I read somewhere that the Farlang police have no powers of arrest and it must always be the Thai police that make the arrests. If there are no Thai police at a scene and a Farlang police volunteer sees a crime going on, he still cannot apprehend or arrest. That`s what I read, true or not? Don`t know.

They are NOT cops and have no right to be involved in any POLICE activity. Supposed just to help farangs with problems.

I have seen a farang tell a wanabee everything in Engish,then wanabee tells Bib everything in English.Why bother.I tell everything to wanabee in English just to pass the time,then when wanabee starts his act i take over in Thai.Cops are impressed.Wanabee asks the obvios question and i give the typical Thai response,"you didn't ask".

That's exactly what happened in Boston. They went door to door searching everywhere.

Illegally - or rather, they intimidated residents into searching everywhere.

For that the pigs should in prison themselves.

Illegally - or rather, they intimidated residents into searching everywhere.

For that the pigs should in prison themselves.

Pigs?

Oh wow man!

I think I am having one of those acid flash back trips they promised me back in the 60s!

Groovy man,

Right on!

The 4th amendment to the US Constitution forbids illegal searches; police searches without court approval, a warrant. Additionally, anything found during an illegal search is not admissible in court.

However, there are exceptions. For example, an arrest made inside a residence allows the police a safety sweep to look for weapons. If the contraband is in plain sight, it may be confiscated and argued in court to be legally obtained. If an immediate search is needed to protect the public--but the public danger would have to be proven in court before any evidence found could be admissible.