New contract

carbine1125

Some of the teachers at my school tried to point out things they disagreed with in the contract and all hell broke loose and we were all accused of disrespecting the school by not trusting them.

Some of the conditions included that if you leave during the academic year you have to pay a fine of 50,000-60,000 baht but the school reserves the right to cancel your contract at any time without reason and without compensation.

Edited by alex88

Some of the teachers at my school tried to point out things they disagreed with in the contract and all hell broke loose and we were all accused of disrespecting the school by not trusting them.

Some of the conditions included that if you leave during the academic year you have to pay a fine of 50,000-60,000 baht but the school reserves the right to cancel your contract at any time without reason and without compensation.

I haven't signed a new contract yet, but I'm sure it will be a pain in the but. My wife's always telling me what she hears from Thai news and these news aren't really good news.

A fine of 50, or 60 K sounds harsh. The contract does not overwrite the Thai labor act and they'll have to compensate you.

I believe that many of us are on sinking ships, but just don't know it yet. Filipinos are friendlier, call everybody Ajarn and do a good broom work.

" I haven't signed a new contract yet, but I'm sure it will be a pain in the but. My wife's always telling me what she hears from Thai news and these news aren't really good news."

So what is this bad news ?

Foreigners, or "Farang" are almost every day in the news doing criminal activities.

The German guy who just recently got caught in Chiang Mai, after stealing a phone from a shop is just the top of the iceberg.

Of course was he working as a teacher, shame on him.

Then the always in the middle of the city sitting "teachers" getting drunk, then fighting with somebody who disagrees over something, happens too often, sorry.

Begging foreigners in front of 7 Elevens and elsewhere have changed the " picture of a well educated foreign teacher" in many peoples' minds.

Many teachers who have/ had sex with their students, plus some pedophiles and drug addicts has changed a lot.

It doesn't look good for the "farang teachers anymore" IMO. ( Listening to what my wife's telling me, these were only a few points) wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

" I haven't signed a new contract yet, but I'm sure it will be a pain in the but. My wife's always telling me what she hears from Thai news and these news aren't really good news."

Foreigners, or "Farang" are almost every day in the news doing criminal activities.

The German guy who just recently got caught in Chiang Mai, after stealing a phone from a shop is just the top of the iceberg.

Then the always in the middle of the city sitting "teachers" getting drunk, then fighting with somebody who disagrees over something, happens too often, sorry.

Begging foreigners in front of 7 Elevens and elsewhere have changed the " picture of a well educated foreign teacher" in many peoples' minds.

Many teachers who have/ had sex with their students, plus some pedophiles and drug addicts has changed a lot.

It doesn't look good for the "farang teachers anymore" IMO. ( Listening to what my wife's telling me, these were only a few points) wai2.gif

You are aware that these mean two different things, their use is not interchangeable.

You are aware that these mean two different things, their use is not interchangeable.

Decided to delete the post.

Edited by lostinisaan

I haven't signed a new contract yet, but I'm sure it will be a pain in the but. My wife's always telling me what she hears from Thai news and these news aren't really good news.

A fine of 50, or 60 K sounds harsh. The contract does not overwrite the Thai labor act and they'll have to compensate you.

I believe that many of us are on sinking ships, but just don't know it yet. Filipinos are friendlier, call everybody Ajarn and do a good broom work.

There may be Thai labour laws but we are not really in the position to implement them. We get threatened with blacklisting if we make trouble.

There may be Thai labour laws but we are not really in the position to implement them. We get threatened with blacklisting if we make trouble.

Please forget the "blacklisting trick" bs. When i quit my job at my former school, I gave them a six week notice, but they still screwed me..

When an Aussie resigned two years later at the same school, the director was trying all to get him "blacklisted." that he wouldn't be able to find another job in the Kingdom of Why's.

But there's no way that a school can make it happen that you're blacklisted, it's just a tool to keep you guys "handy".

I was really polite and the coordinator told me that I could stay on the visa until i started my new job. But my wp and visa were cancelled on the same day and I had to leave the country immediately.

Don't let them screw you. Best of luck.

Now with ASEAN upon Asia the days of the NES are pretty much numbered. You will see more and more Filipinos coming to Thailand to teach at a much lower salary and schools will be more than happy to accept them over the foreigners who stay for a few weeks and then leave or come to work hung over. As lostinisaan has stated they are "friendlier",don't complain and actually do a very good job.

Lets not forget they at least make an effort to learn the language.

Edited by Rayk

Please forget the "blacklisting trick" bs. When i quit my job at my former school, I gave them a six week notice, but they still screwed me..

When an Aussie resigned two years later at the same school, the director was trying all to get him "blacklisted." that he wouldn't be able to find another job in the Kingdom of Why's.

But there's no way that a school can make it happen that you're blacklisted, it's just a tool to keep you guys "handy".

I was really polite and the coordinator told me that I could stay on the visa until i started my new job. But my wp and visa were cancelled on the same day and I had to leave the country immediately.

Yeah I don't really believe in the likelihood of the blacklisting threat either. It certainly appears to be a threat they use to try and keep the foreign teachers working under less than desirable conditions.

Now with ASEAN upon Asia the days of the NES are pretty much numbered. You will see more and more Filipinos coming to Thailand to teach at a much lower salary and schools will be more than happy to accept them over the foreigners who stay for a few weeks and then leave or come to work hung over. As lostinisaan has stated they are "friendlier",don't complain and actually do a very good job.

Two things, ASEAN started in 1967, so it certainly is not a new thing, maybe you meant The AEC ? Also, The AEC does not make the ASEAN member states borderless, there is a very restrictive list of professions that can move freely here - and teacher is not one of them.

Two years after you left the school and you still knew what the director was doing ?

Visas are not cancelled.

I don't think Thais really care all that much or pay attention to many of the things you mention. Or they forget about em when their boss tells em they need to hire a foreign teacher. I think the bad news is more likely efforts to improve the skills (mostly English language ones) of Thai teachers, and decrease the need for foreign ones.

Btw, what you mentioned earlier about Filipinos is absolutely true and is probably in Thailand's best interest. They're cheaper and seem to get on better with the Thai students and faculty.

Two things, ASEAN started in 1967, so it certainly is not a new thing, maybe you meant The AEC ? Also, The AEC does not make the ASEAN member states borderless, there is a very restrictive list of professions that can move freely here - and teacher is not one of them.

. ASEAN is an acronym and stands for the Association of South East Asian Nations, right?

BTW, ASEAN didn't start in 1967, it was established on 8 August 1967 in Bangkok by the five original member countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand.

So it's certainly a new thing with more countries joining in, don't you agree?

I don't think Thais really care all that much or pay attention to many of the things you mention. Or they forget about em when their boss tells em they need to hire a foreign teacher. I think the bad news is more likely efforts to improve the skills (mostly English language ones) of Thai teachers, and decrease the need for foreign ones.

Btw, what you mentioned earlier about Filipinos is absolutely true and is probably in Thailand's best interest. They're cheaper and seem to get on better with the Thai students and faculty.

Don't really agree with your last two sentences. Yes, they're cheaper, but I've heard that too often coming for a Filipino that they're only waiting for their pay check. Do they really do all for Thai kids? Not in my experience. I've had grade six students with a better English than our Filipino teachers' language skills.

They're in for the money only and that's the majority. Of course are all the Thai teachers happy when they call all of them Ajarn and they only broom well when somebody's watching them.

Strange is that not even one teacher, or school director in the town where I'm working is coming up with a positive attitude towards Filipinos.

They don't really want them as English teachers once they understood the difference between a well English speaking guy from an English speaking country and the mumbletypeg language that sometimes can be heard, of course if they don't speak Tagalog.

No Filipino bashing,. please, but I've met quite a lot from the islands. What really bugs me is that they do not seem to check Filipino degrees properly and most of them are holding a Thai teachers license.

Even when they had a TOEIC score of 399 before they received the license. Something;s not right here.

Don't really agree with your last two sentences. Yes, they're cheaper, but I've heard that too often coming for a Filipino that they're only waiting for their pay check. Do they really do all for Thai kids? Not in my experience. I've had grade six students with a better English than our Filipino teachers' language skills.

They're in for the money only and that's the majority. Of course are all the Thai teachers happy when they call all of them Ajarn and they only broom well when somebody's watching them.

Strange is that not even one teacher, or school director in the town where I'm working is coming up with a positive attitude towards Filipinos.

They don't really want them as English teachers once they understood the difference between a well English speaking guy from an English speaking country and the mumbletypeg language that sometimes can be heard, of course if they don't speak Tagalog.

No Filipino bashing,. please, but I've met quite a lot from the islands. What really bugs me is that they do not seem to check Filipino degrees properly and most of them are holding a Thai teachers license.

Even when they had a TOEIC score of 399 before they received the license. Something;s not right here.

Most of the foreigners Ive met at gov schools are also waiting for their paycheck and do as little as possible to earn it.

Strange is that you know all the teachers and school directors in your town.

You are commenting as a Non-NES yourself, remember ? The schools would do better to hire someone who can string together a correct sentence.

Very true and already happening. At our school they started off with one, then two and next year one more will arrive. As is said, they are more friendly and accommodating than many farangs and often do the job better.

I notice that at another school they used to have farangs only - now it's Filipinos only.

The AEC paved the way for the free flow of skilled labour in only eight professions comprising doctors, dentists, nurses, engineers, architects, accountants, surveyors and the tourism industry.

Very true and already happening. At our school they started off with one, then two and next year one more will arrive. As is said, they are more friendly and accommodating than many farangs and often do the job better.

I notice that at another school they used to have farangs only - now it's Filipinos only.

It's all about the money......education is big business in this country. Most schools have increased their non-native proportion slowly, hoping parents wouldn't notice / adapt to the situation. I'm sure when I leave, it will be a cheap non-native to replace me. As long as school keep bums on seats, they will pay as little as possible to the lowest bidder.

Are you people seriously worried about Filipinos taking your jobs? I see more jobs than ever on ajarn for 40k++ jobs.

Time to pull it up.

In a race to the bottom, no one wins.

If your school is offering peanuts and you take the money, don't look for sympathy, move on.

IMO school has no blowback on contracts. I'm sure all six yrs were one year contracts so no compensation.

If it's all so shitty, why you there? Loads of jobs out there already.

Edited by Mencken