Monk protest leader to face charges of defying public gathering law

webfact

Monk protest leader to face charges of defying public gathering law

1502004-1-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Phra Metheethammacharn who led a rally by monks at Phutthamonthon Buddhist Park in Nakhon Pathom on Monday will be summoned to face charges of violating public gathering.

Pol Col Krisana Patthanacharoen, deputy spokesman of the National Police Office, said today (Wednesday) that the decision to summon the monk, assistant abbot of Wat Mahathat and secretary-general of Buddhism Protection Centre of Thailand, was agreed upon at a meeting of police inquiry officers and police investigators to discuss the monks’ gathering on Monday.

The police colonel said the meeting was of the opinion that Phra Metheethammacharn had defied the public gathering law B.E. 2558 and should be summoned to face the charges.

He added that police would consider whether any other monks who were involved in the illegal assembly would face charges.

He maintained that police would strictly enforce the law no matter the alleged offenders are monks or lay people.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151333

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-18

If the police said they would enforce the public gathering law no matter who the offenders are then why were their not any arrests at the 300 or so people gathered to YLs trial the other day?

I think the police and gov are taking on more than they can chew by going after the monks. Religion in Thailand is a lot stronger than the gov.

If the police said they would enforce the public gathering law no matter who the offenders are then why were their not any arrests at the 300 or so people gathered to YLs trial the other day?

I think the police and gov are taking on more than they can chew by going after the monks. Religion in Thailand is a lot stronger than the gov.

Oh yes this could be quite a time bomb they've armed if they actually go ahead with this.

As for strictly enforcing the ban the protest at the US Embassy wasn't considered a problem so as is usual here enforcement will be highly selective.

BANGKOK: -- Phra Metheethammacharn who led a rally by monks at Phutthamonthon Buddhist Park in Nakhon Pathom on Monday will be summoned to face charges of violating public gathering.

So Buddhist monks can't gather in a Buddhist park? Hmm!!

Yes they can gather but they can't manhandle officials doing their jobs (restricting vehicle access). Also I'm pretty sure Phuttamonthon was built on public land and as such is considered a public park!

what about the 200 yellowist's outside the US Embassy?

The answer to that question is painfully obvious to everyone except the "but brigade".

(But as in "but, but, but..Thaksin!", not a person's rear end.)

Edited by MZurf

The answer to that question is painfully obvious to everyone except the "but brigade".

but but but but the yellow shirts..... Kinda works both ways!

Sure it does, but for the junta supporters this has become a severely disingenuous mantra, to be used in any topic, and to excuse everything the junta does.

For those of us (and dare I say we seem to constitute a clear majority of TV posters?) who are opposed to the military takeover, not so much - in fact, not even close.

you can't have it both ways either the law will be 'enforced' as the junta claimed (i.e. fairly) or it won't (i.e. the reality)

Accept it used by you and Lanna in pretty much ANY post even a Non political one as this. Pot kettle black me thinks. If people ACTUALLY stopped all this red shirt/ yellow shirt nonsense then Thailand would have a chance.

"... even a Non political one as this"

What do you mean non-political? Allowing your supporters to break the law with indemnity while prosecuting your opponents for the same crime is not political????

you can't have it both ways either the law will be 'enforced' as the junta claimed (i.e. fairly) or it won't (i.e. the reality)

What do you mean, you can't have it both ways?

In Thailand, that is the only way you can have it.

Hahahaha. How long have you been in Thailand, 2 seconds? You know the law here is NEVER enforced fairly! Under ANY Prime Minister including the party that has had the most years in power in the past 20 years!

Sure it does, but for the junta supporters this has become a severely disingenuous mantra, to be used in any topic, and to excuse everything the junta does.

For those of us (and dare I say we seem to constitute a clear majority of TV posters?) who are opposed to the military takeover, not so much - in fact, not even close.

BUT... in this case it was lana guy who started with the reference to other occurrences instead of keeping to the topic so he opened it up and you start blaming the people who support the junta.. seems you are a bit selective as well. If you had said this in a topic where Thaksin was mention to defend something, sure.. but now your doing the same your accusing others of cheesy.gif

BUT... in this case it was lana guy who started with the reference to other occurrences instead of keeping to the topic so he opened it up and you start blaming the people who support the junta.. seems you are a bit selective as well. If you had said this in a topic where Thaksin was mention to defend something, sure.. but now your doing the same your accusing others of cheesy.gif

You mean pointing out the obvious fact that the demonstrators who support the junta are not prosecuted while those who are opposed are is off topic??

wow what an imagination you have!!! the yellowists demo was MONK led, the very MONK who was stopped from attending this 'gathering' in the topic title how is THAT not on topic? also, the obvious, the junta you so adore will prosecute THESE monks but not the one who was bleating outside the US Embassy - fair eh?

wow what an imagination you have!!! the yellowists demo was MONK led, the very MONK who was stopped from attending this 'gathering' in the topic title how is THAT not on topic? also, the obvious, the junta you so adore will prosecute THESE monks but not the one who was bleating outside the US Embassy - fair eh?

Where does it say that the "yellowist monk" was stopped from attending? I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't attend this gathering in support of nominating a Patriarch that is openly in favour of Monk's gathering wealth and favour! PS: I detest Monk Issara but telling untruths about him is below par.

And people don't have to "adore" the Junta to recognize that they ARE the current legal government of Thailand!

Well said, so this means the end of big ceremonies where hundreds if not thousands of monks gather each year, could have opened a big tin of worms here, picking on the media the public, policemen found hanged for criticisim and now the hammer comes dowm on the monks which will cause a fair bit of anger I would have thought. wai2.gif

Where does it say that the "yellowist monk" was stopped from attending? I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't attend this gathering in support of nominating a Patriarch that is openly in favour of Monk's gathering wealth and favour! PS: I detest Monk Issara but telling untruths about him is below par.

And people don't have to "adore" the Junta to recognize that they ARE the current legal government of Thailand!

I read it in an article but I don't have time to research it. Issara was due to go to the rally to 'confront' and was told not to do so. There is no 'untruth' in what I reported as it happened sorry to piss on your parade. As for 'current legal government' who voted them in? you mean they took over by force, changed the rules and gave themselves amnesty and YOU are a disgrace wrapped up in a hypocrisy.

I read it in an article but I don't have time to research it. Issara was due to go to the rally to 'confront' and was told not to do so. There is no 'untruth' in what I reported as it happened sorry to piss on your parade. As for 'current legal government' who voted them in? you mean they took over by force, changed the rules and gave themselves amnesty and YOU are a disgrace wrapped up in a hypocrisy.

You can call me names BUT that doesn't stop the current government BEING the legal government of Thailand. I'm talking about Thai law NOT hyperbole! It is untruth until supported, that's how things work!

If TRUE then he was told NOT to do so. Well at least someone is doing as they are told!

Ps: your original statement suggested that he was going in support!

You can call me names BUT that doesn't stop the current government BEING the legal government of Thailand. I'm talking about Thai law NOT hyperbole! It is untruth until supported, that's how things work!

If TRUE then he was told NOT to do so. Well at least someone is doing as they are told!

Ps: your original statement suggested that he was going in support!

no I never suggested he was going in support that was your assumption he is dead against the nominated Patriarch etc.

You mean pointing out the obvious fact that the demonstrators who support the junta are not prosecuted while those who are opposed are is off topic??

You know what I mean.. and your trying to deny it.. funny. I am not saying its off topic. But you cry when people say what about Thaksin when it OT and now you do the same what about the yellowshirts. Its just funny.. something about a pot and a kettle and black.

Maybe its better you don't make that remark in the future as your as guilty as others, or just accept it from others as your doing the same.

You know what I mean.. and your trying to deny it.. funny. I am not saying its off topic. But you cry when people say what about Thaksin when it OT and now you do the same what about the yellowshirts. Its just funny.. something about a pot and a kettle and black.

Maybe its better you don't make that remark in the future as your as guilty as others, or just accept it from others as your doing the same.

"Maybe its better you don't make that remark in the future as your as guilty as others,"

Thanks for the advice, but I disagree. Again: