Overstaying foreigners will face ban from re-entering Thailand

Is a ban logged into a computer database or just stamped in the passport?

If it's logged surely they have every foreign individual who's checked in here on a database and are able to see all those that have overstayed?

Does such a database exist?

Just curious.

• Like 2

( Overstayers Be Careful Before The Borders )

I went to get another Multiple Non O in Savannakhet about a month ago and talking to a guy in Mukdahan, he told me quite a few foreigners were caught by the police with overstay before they could get to the border, a sly move indeed by the BIB, so be on the lookout for checkpoints before the border, IF ya have overstay.

• Like 2

I have a 'Retirement Visa' I live in Thailand, I am 1 day late reporting at Immigration,what happens, I get arrested and deported ?

What do you mean reporting ?....a 90 day report ?...No that's not an overstay anyway....if you are talking about your visa expiring...go back and read the rules...what do you think will happen in terms of what is written ?

• Like 1

This is good and is about time. They should have been doing this years ago.

Ah! The duty goody two shoes rears his ugly head. What'd they do for a teacher's pet when you left school?

Strange people who get a kick out of others misery.

Misery? Is it so difficult to remain within the law?

Everyone knows the law- you can't say they are ignorant of the ramifications of Thai immigration law.

We live in a country under a military dictatorship- it's not all fluffy and lovely any more. That's reality.

So no it's not goody two shoes-the whole world has changed- just accept it.

• Like 1

I have a 'Retirement Visa' I live in Thailand, I am 1 day late reporting at Immigration,what happens, I get arrested and deported ?

What do you mean reporting ?....a 90 day report ?...No that's not an overstay anyway....if you are talking about your visa expiring...go back and read the rules...what do you think will happen in terms of what is written ?

Apologies, misunderstood the rules, overstay means overstaying when your visa expires ?

Now here is the question. Blacklists are not automatically lifted. They all have to go through an arduous appeal process. Appeals can only be lodge at thai border entry post and one has to wait 7 days to see if appeal will be allowed or not. Then have wait around six months for appeal to be heard.

All I can think now is thank god I sold my condo in Thailand and repatriated my funds last year before the military Junta heavy handed purge starts on all foreigners and we have now moved back to UK with the Mrs for the time being until we decide which Asian country to use and settle in as a base for spending time in Asia, the next it will be no repatriation of funds allowed out of Thailand and you will have to leave your money in Thailand forever.

...heavy handed purge starts on all foreigners.. All foreigners? Shameless lies. Are you insinuating that all foreigners in Thailand have overstayed their visas???? They want to crackdown on foreigners who have overstayed their visas and not ALL foreigners. I need to remind you this. What is bad in cracking down on people who don't want to obey the law? I know you hate Thailand, but hate it for a right reason and not a wrong reason please.

Apologies, misunderstood the rules, overstay means overstaying when your visa expires ?

Yes, yes yes and yes. I wonder why you don't know this.

All I can think now is thank god I sold my condo in Thailand and repatriated my funds last year before the military Junta heavy handed purge starts on all foreigners and we have now moved back to UK with the Mrs for the time being until we decide which Asian country to use and settle in as a base for spending time in Asia, the next it will be no repatriation of funds allowed out of Thailand and you will have to leave your money in Thailand forever.

5555 and how id wish that i could see my familys face when im gone and they came over to collect the winnings..... jackpot denied!

Overstay 88 days and surrender - no problem?

Overstay 2 days and get apprehended - 5 year ban?

????

That's what i think it's unfair and stupid.

I can understand that in the second case the punishment is heavier, but 1 day overstay (without surrendering) and 5 years ban is madness.

"That's what i think it's unfair and stupid."

Unfair? A popular refrain from children caught misbehaving.

Thailand has been very easy going about overstayers and as with most things, being generous & lenient has simply resulted in wholesale abuse. Rather than blame immigrations, why not refer to all those "unfair and stupid" farang who have gamed the system and brought about the need for harsher measures?

I suppose it's highly intelligent to enter a country without paying any attention to how long you're permitted to stay. If you're unavoidably going to be in country for a few extra days because of flight timings or whatever, you go to immigrations & apply for an extension. If you are not eligible for an extension, you'll still be given an extra 7 days to leave.

At some point even farang have to accept responsibility for what they are doing.

Out my way a bloke was given awarning to get his overstay fixed.He was in a bad situation money and family wise.They caught him again and now he is in Bangkok detention centre.Just can't help some people.

How about kids age 1-13 years old who have 30 days VUA but expired? are they exempted or include into this new rule?

Children under the age of 15 are exempt from overstay fines but do get stamped for an overstay. Under the new banning rules children under the age of 18 will not be banned from re-entering the country.

Thanks, i asked this question because of one my friend, she went to immigration office here in Jomtien and they say her son is overstayed already and need to leave the country and come back before march 20 so that it will not get banned re entering Thailand.

"Leave the country and come back before March 20 so that it will not get banned re entering Thailand." What would happen if someone on overstay left before March 20th but tried to come back after March 20th? Would they be banned from re-entry? The immigration officer seems to think so.

How about kids age 1-13 years old who have 30 days VUA but expired? are they exempted or include into this new rule?

Children under the age of 15 are exempt from overstay fines but do get stamped for an overstay. Under the new banning rules children under the age of 18 will not be banned from re-entering the country.

Thanks, i asked this question because of one my friend, she went to immigration office here in Jomtien and they say her son is overstayed already and need to leave the country and come back before march 20 so that it will not get banned re entering Thailand.

"Leave the country and come back before March 20 so that it will not get banned re entering Thailand." What would happen if someone on overstay left before March 20th but tried to come back after March 20th? Would they be banned from re-entry? The immigration officer seems to think so.

Once the overstay is cleared prior to March 20 that is the end of any banning. There would be no ban on entering the country after that. I think it was misunderstanding of what the officer said or meant.

...heavy handed purge starts on all foreigners.. All foreigners? Shameless lies. Are you insinuating that all foreigners in Thailand have overstayed their visas???? They want to crackdown on foreigners who have overstayed their visas and not ALL foreigners. I need to remind you this. What is bad in cracking down on people who don't want to obey the law? I know you hate Thailand, but hate it for a right reason and not a wrong reason please.

I wonder if Jim and his wife are enjoying the UK winter as we have to tough it out with 30 degrees every day.

What if you got banned for overstay then when back in your own country you change your name to something else by deed poll then got a new passport under that name could you cheat the ban?

Would taking such an extreme step be worth the effort ?

Changing a name involves a lot more than just obtaining a new passport.

Some countries would also place a note in the new passport stating that the holder had previously travel under a different name

• Like 1

Everyone who enters another country does so ( or should be ) aware of the conditions of entry. Refusing recognition of excuses by virtue of bad memory or incapacity to read are not punitive. Recognition of valid unavoidable reason for overstay would likely be argueable. Verified incapacity to travel for medical reasons is and has been historically accepted if proir notification verified by Hospital or Medical has been given. I would guess imprisonment would be another .

My home country has no lesser penalty for overstaying. And there any attempt to "pay a way out" would be a very very big mistake.

Play a straight game and get a straight outcome. I have come across many weeping crocodile tears because they have overstayed by choice but when finally forced to exit and expecting penalty also expect sympathy by way of cash donation.I have one answer only to that request !

• Like 2

So what happens if your on a retirement or marriage visa say and you are too ill to leave the country and/or renew your visa. Is that an overstay?

I,m crook now but plenty of time to get well. Got me wondering.

You can get extensions for medical treatment if a doctor states your are to sick or unable to travel.

If you are due a one year extension the letter stating you are sick would allow somebody else to do the extension for you.

An Agent can also do it fo you. At cost of course.

So what's the difference with last month's annoucement?

Doesn't appear to be any difference, it just looks like a progressive warning on the run-down to the 20th March.

At least it seems they are taking some steps to make this coming change known to more people.

I could almost guarantee however, there will be quite a few people in an overstay situation who still aren't aware about what is being proposed.

No stones cast from here though, sometimes the smelly stuff hits the fan for no apparent reason at precisely the wrong time and events can be rapidly over-run.

Of course there are others who knowingly let it happen; these people will be taking a much bigger chance after 20th March and need to seriously start thinking not only for themselves,

but also for anyone who they have formed current relationships with before and during their overstay period as these are the ones likely to be most hurt from a ban.

• Like 1

I have yet to note any "purge". I have noted a move to tighten up and introduce penalties in line with many other countries global as part of a wider shift towards base administrative infrastructure minus corruption. Immigration policy has not really altered so much in substance except for the application of it .

Moves to prevent movement of funds would be unlikely because it would immediately halt international investment. No greater restrictions could be implemented than that being imposed on outgoing funds from places such as the UK.

Sad to note that some who who have found personal negatives enough to compell them to leave Thailand and yet are reminescent enough to come on TVF and do so with negative speculative comment about what is (not).

• Like 1