Best Media Box for KODI?

ExpatOilWorker

What is the best media box for watching TV using KODI and where best to buy it in Bangkok?

What RAM, memory, processor specs to look out for?

Do I understand it correct that I can just get the media box and relative easy install the addons myself to make it work?

I found this online (http://www.kodithailand.com/product-tag/android-tv-box), which might be a good starting point.

They say it has "FULLY LOADED Custom KODI", does that mean it is just plug in and ready to go?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MXQ is one of the cheaper Android boxes,I have one and it works OK

streaming with KODI, if you check out the LAZADA web site they are cheaper

than the site you looked at,and you can buy them C.O.D. so you dont pay

until you get it, KODI is easy to install,and the easiest is TVMC variation which

comes installed with more than enough apps to get you going, tvaddons.ag.

The most important thing is to have enough bandwidth for the streaming to

work,also it improves things if you connect box to router with RJ45 cable,

instead of using WiFi.

regards Worgeordie

You want the best ( Minix neo X8H plus) or do you want a good one? If its only for TV something like a Minix Neo X6 which is almost half price. I have used a M8S+ and had no problems.

Lazada have good middle range boxed from about 2000 baht which are decent enough ranging up to 5k for the Minix X8H. I would advise an air mouse as the remotes are awful!

The MXQ is one of the cheaper Android boxes,I have one and it works OK

streaming with KODI, if you check out the LAZADA web site they are cheaper

than the site you looked at,and you can buy them C.O.D. so you dont pay

until you get it, KODI is easy to install,and the easiest is TVMC variation which

comes installed with more than enough apps to get you going, tvaddons.ag.

The most important thing is to have enough bandwidth for the streaming to

work,also it improves things if you connect box to router with RJ45 cable,

instead of using WiFi.

regards Worgeordie

Lets say I get the M8 box from LAZADA (http://www.lazada.co.th/m8s-android-tv-box-quad-core-8gb-smart-fully-loaded-kodi-network-streamer-2264317.html).

Is there any difference between the media boxed from kodithailand.com and LAZADA?

Can I just plug it in a watch TV or do I have to install my own addons?

Fully loaded is just a nonsense. Most people will find that the majority of add-ons week not work in Thailand.

Just buy the box, install kodi and then add YouTube, istream, genesis, radio etc and you'll end up with a simple setup that works beautifully.

For UK expats, sky news streams live on YouTube in hd quality.

As previous posters have said MXQ is ok, minix is far, far better. But both work fine, just get a decent air mouse, mele f10 deluxe and minix a2 lite are both very good.

You want the best ( Minix neo X8H plus) or do you want a good one? If its only for TV something like a Minix Neo X6 which is almost half price. I have used a M8S+ and had no problems.

Lazada have good middle range boxed from about 2000 baht which are decent enough ranging up to 5k for the Minix X8H. I would advise an air mouse as the remotes are awful!

At 4,950 baht the MINIX Neo X8H with the airmouse seems like a good starting point (http://www.lazada.co.th/minix-neo-x8h-plus-android-44-os-kitkat-free-remote-air-mouse-a2-lite-and-hdmi-cable-1092235.html)

Is this plug and play or do I need to learn to install my own addons?

At 4,950 baht the MINIX Neo X8H with the airmouse seems like a good starting point (http://www.lazada.co.th/minix-neo-x8h-plus-android-44-os-kitkat-free-remote-air-mouse-a2-lite-and-hdmi-cable-1092235.html)

I have this box, they are excellent and come with a air mouse, they are ready to go with Jodi just learn to add the addons you need.

For sport just add ilikeHD apo from google play then pay as you need all the sport UKTV you want.

I have this box, they are excellent and come with a air mouse, they are ready to go with kodi just learn to add the addons you need.

For sport just add ilikeHD app from google play then pay as you need all the sport UKTV you want.

You can also buy the Minix at "Memory House" on the 2nd level of Fortune Tower (Rama-9 MRT) opposite the Samsung service Center. Just over B5000.

There are 4 or 5 dealers selling other brands of Android TV boxes scattered around 2nd and 3rd floors. "Digital Trends" for one.

You do not need a media box for watching TV using KODI..

This just depends on what you need..

I have Kodi on my PC with Windows 10 64bit, OK I have a 32" monitor + on a old Laptop running on XP, connected to bedroom TV, yes I do have a cheap 2.000 baht Android box on the main big TV. all work fine, just find it is easier to use [edit and add things ] on my PC..

https://www.tvaddons.ag/ just install the correct OS on what box/PC/stick you have.

I bought my Android box from a place on the 5th floor of Pantip 2 [Nonthaburi] she loaded Kodi + many other things Free, have long since updated to the latest Kodi. she sold boxes from 1,400 - 6,500 baht. mine was 2,100 baht over 1 year ago.

Another option and totally free in SD but you have to pay for HD www.filmon.com

no need for even Kodi

You do not need a media box for watching TV using KODI..

This just depends on what you need..

I have Kodi on my PC with Windows 10 64bit, OK I have a 32" monitor + on a old Laptop running on XP, connected to bedroom TV, yes I do have a cheap 2.000 baht Android box on the main big TV. all work fine, just find it is easier to use [edit and add things ] on my PC..

https://www.tvaddons.ag/ just install the correct OS on what box/PC/stick you have.

I bought my Android box from a place on the 5th floor of Pantip 2 [Nonthaburi] she loaded Kodi + many other things Free, have long since updated to the latest Kodi. she sold boxes from 1,400 - 6,500 baht. mine was 2,100 baht over 1 year ago.

Another option and totally free in SD but you have to pay for HD www.filmon.com

no need for even Kodi

Very good post.

There is apparently an even better one from Minix called the Neo U1 running Lollipop, only recently released and available from Lazada for 5000 baht.

There is apparently an even better one from Minix called the Neo U1 running Lollipop, only recently released and available from Lazada for 5000 baht.

Must be this little cutie at 5,190 baht: http://www.lazada.co.th/minix-neo-u1-4k-uhd-android-smart-box-quadcore-coretex-a53-free-hdmi-cable-1mremote-air-mouse-a2-liteservice-firmware-3777891.html

I'm never sure which is more important, the box, the internet connection/ISP or the set-up. I have this inexpensive generic Android Box sold under many names and model numbers: KR42, CS918, RK3188, MK888 and probably a few more. Various dealers on Lazada sell this for anywhere from B2000 up to B6000...same device. I bought mine on Ebay, Hong Kong for US$42 (free shipping, no duty)

http://www.lazada.co.th/kr-42-android-tv-box-set-top-box-tv-box-android-4216571.html

I've struggled to understand KODI and all the terminology but after looking at many YouTube videos and reading some excellent posts on this forum, I've got it working...sort of. Some days it's great and I can watch HD versions of current films (The Reverent, Bridge of Spies) without buffering, clear as a DVD...some days I can't get a single thing; nada. I have True 10mb ADSL which itself is notoriously unstable. I'd kill for fiber.

If I was convinced that a "better" box such as the highly recommended Minix would make a significant difference, I'd buy one in a minute, but from all I read, it seems to be more the connection and the source and sometimes, the time of day.

Same here with Kodi and other non Thai services, sometimes great, sometimes nothing. I can only put this down to connecting to the internet outside of Thailand where the servers are probably based unless anyone else can give an explanation?

The internet speeds within Thailand are fine in my case and I have Fibre recording up to 50mb/s Buriram - Bangkok.

I'm never sure which is more important, the box, the internet connection/ISP or the set-up. I have this inexpensive generic Android Box sold under many names and model numbers: KR42, CS918, RK3188, MK888 and probably a few more. Various dealers on Lazada sell this for anywhere from B2000 up to B6000...same device. I bought mine on Ebay, Hong Kong for US$42 (free shipping, no duty)

http://www.lazada.co.th/kr-42-android-tv-box-set-top-box-tv-box-android-4216571.html

I've struggled to understand KODI and all the terminology but after looking at many YouTube videos and reading some excellent posts on this forum, I've got it working...sort of. Some days it's great and I can watch HD versions of current films (The Reverent, Bridge of Spies) without buffering, clear as a DVD...some days I can't get a single thing; nada. I have True 10mb ADSL which itself is notoriously unstable. I'd kill for fiber.

If I was convinced that a "better" box such as the highly recommended Minix would make a significant difference, I'd buy one in a minute, but from all I read, it seems to be more the connection and the source and sometimes, the time of day.

Not at all sure about a better box....... myself mostly always fine on my cheap Android Himedia box and True 10mb ADSL, but the odd times there is lots of buffeting or lose of picture, I check it on my big PC [far far bigger CPU many more time the amount of Ram] and yes works fine

but even the better Android box is not 16 gig of Ram, and has less the half the CPU size of my PC, my new graphics card R7 is also far far better than any box. the old graphics card was a GTX 9 series so also big. but the difference in price of a Android box even a high end one to a bigger higher end PC is also huge.

OK to sum up here's my experience:

1.buy the best box you can afford(I bought the minix top of range and it's perfect)

2. Ensure you have the fastest possible internet connection cable obviously the best

3. Don't buy any preconfigured Kodi set ups as it's so easy to do yourself!

4. Google "Ares Wizard" and find out how to load it, loadd of instructions on the web.

5.Google "Spinztv", "Blackbox" and "Chris B" wizards and load one of them into a fresh start of Kodi, ( Fresh start means with no other wizards/addons loaded)

6.Once you've got this working and you are familiar with Kodi's strange ways of doing things you can download a second version of Kodi, i.e. TVMC and load a different wizard on that. I currently have Spinztv on Kodi and Blackbox on TVMC as they both approach the final solution of good TV in a different way.

7 Don't worry about the remote or Airmouse, better to but a Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Burl Ives

OK to sum up here's my experience:

1.buy the best box you can afford(I bought the minix top of range and it's perfect)

2. Ensure you have the fastest possible internet connection cable obviously the best

3. Don't buy any preconfigured Kodi set ups as it's so easy to do yourself!

4. Google "Ares Wizard" and find out how to load it, loadd of instructions on the web.

5.Google "Spinztv", "Blackbox" and "Chris B" wizards and load one of them into a fresh start of Kodi, ( Fresh start means with no other wizards/addons loaded)

6.Once you've got this working and you are familiar with Kodi's strange ways of doing things you can download a second version of Kodi, i.e. TVMC and load a different wizard on that. I currently have Spinztv on Kodi and Blackbox on TVMC as they both approach the final solution of good TV in a different way.

7 Don't worry about the remote or Airmouse, better to but a Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Burl Ives

Anything helps, especially for a KODI newbi. I wouldn't say it is easy to set up KODI by yourself, there are lots of dead ends and tricks to be learned. I am starting to think that all the high rise jumpers we have in Thailand are frustrated KODI box owners!!!

If it wasn't for a very helpful fellow member on this site, I wouldn't have got very far setting it up myself.

It is possible to watch BBC News, CNN and CNBC on the KODI box?

Must be this little cutie at 5,190 baht: http://www.lazada.co.th/minix-neo-u1-4k-uhd-android-smart-box-quadcore-coretex-a53-free-hdmi-cable-1mremote-air-mouse-a2-liteservice-firmware-3777891.html

I now have the Minix Neo U1 as I needed to upgrade the Neo X7 mini that crashes if you fly in and out of multiple apps. First impressions were not good as it felt buggy and unresponsive and then I noticed all the dodgy apps side loaded by the Lazada reseller from their own probably "infected" laptop/USB, why do they do that? No need to answer, I thought a factory reset was probably the best course of action and sure enough everything now seems OK and is comparable to the Neo X8 H-plus. It runs Lollipop which means the launcher is not ideal for me using it on the TV but I remedied that by using Nova Launcher instead. I have it hooked up by Ethernet cable but I noticed 270mb/s when testing the WiFi which is pretty impressive although we will never get those speeds in Thailand. Also has a setting that will turn on the device when you plug in the wall socket.

Just to add as this thread is after all about the best media players for Kodi that a Minix version of Kodi (xbmc) is pre-installed although you can still download Kodi 16.0 if you want from the Google Play Store. Also iLikeHD and Thai Expat TV work flawlessly on the U1 as with the Minix Neo X8 H-Plus.

Any PC will do, much better than any box that has limited functions.

Personally I don't like air mouse, I never been able to find one that works to my liking. I eventually found in Mongkok this handheld combo keyboard/trackpad that works perfectly for Kodi and other application.

post-207807-0-37412100-1456620468_thumb.

post-207807-0-13300000-1456620406_thumb.

Edited : At the bottom left of the TV you can see the ZOTAC mini PC I use for KODI

Kodi looks difficult at first….but if an idiot like me can make it run flawlessly, then anyone can.

It takes time and patience though….there is great help and tutorials on the various Kodi forums and youtube that walk you through it.

I would recommend buying a new box and installing Kodi and the add ons you need yourself.

The Kodi custom builds are useless (andy's, spinztv etc)…sooner or later they all throw up some problem…usually to do with live tv….since they are stealing iptv which then gets locked….and so they create a workaround and that gets blocked….endless cycle.

Better to subscribe to a good iptv service and be done with it.

Archived