The comeback: Tiger population finally increasing in Thailand

webfact

The comeback: Tiger population finally increasing in Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

tiger_camera_trap_i.jpg
A tiger caught on camera during the study. Photo: Wildlife Conservation Society

BANGKOK: -- The tiger population in Thailand is finally increasing after enhanced protection measures, a study has revealed.

The team of Thai and international scientists said that Thailand was the only place in Southeast Asia where tigers are confirmed to be increasing in population, and believe even better days lay ahead for the beautiful animals.

“The protection effort is paying off as the years have progressed, as indicated by the increase in recruitment, and we expect the tiger population to increase even more rapidly in the years to come,” said Somphot Duangchantrasiri, the lead author of the study.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/18/comeback-tiger-population-finally-increasing-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-18

Thailand needs a big island where elephants, tigers and other wildlife can live free. Tourists will come to see them in their own habitat.

No more painting elephants or tame templetigers ,just a huge national park where we can see them from out of a 4wd vehicle.

Thailand needs a big island where elephants, tigers and other wildlife can live free. Tourists will come to see them in their own habitat.

No more painting elephants or tame templetigers ,just a huge national park where we can see them from out of a 4wd vehicle.

Thailand's habitat for tigers (dense jungle)

The logistics of travel in areas with no vehicle access and no roads

The density of tigers

The range of tigers (largely or possibly only now seen in the Western complex)

would stymie your idea which I think is based on the wildlife safari tours in Southern and Eastern Africa. These areas are a completely different habitat (savannah) with animals that behave very differently.

However, there is good news. What you suggest is already available and has been for many years. Khao Yai conduct animal spotting using search lights from pick-ups where you can view a range of mammals including elephants.

Perhaps Sri Racha tiger farm zoo could have a tiger drivethrough experience similar to what is now available in China.

Good idea, why not give Phuket back to the animals, NOT the human kind.

Are these extra Tigers the ones just released from the temple one wonders???

If they are they won't survive long in the wild since they have been dependent on humans for their entire lives.

They would still be able to eat anything else they encounter

Might be even more dangerous than a wildcat since they would have no natural fear of humans when they get hungry

I've a better idea. Put all the humans on an island and allow access to them, preferably the ones with big teeth, sharp claws, and tusks.

I'm sceptical. If they're now using "up to date methodologies" to locate the tigers - of course they will find more than in previous surveys. The positive spin in this article is naive.

The poachers will also be using technology, and they are out there every night. If you've ever spend a night in the forest, you can hear the shots.

Can't see wild tigers being much use in the countryside.

Specially if you live in a village and one eats your kid.

Some large predators are better off dead, or only alive in captivity.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

The eight-year-study from 2005 to 2012, the first-ever long-term study of tiger population dynamics in Southeast Asia, identified 90 individual tigers and an improvement in tiger survival.

The gene pool with only 90 animals is too small.
Sooner or later the immune system of the animals is weakened by inbreeding.

Maybe release some in Chiang Mai near the bike trails.. then you can really train and it will be survival of the fittest cheesy.gif

"Some large predators are better off dead, or only alive in captivity."

post-9891-0-49950100-1455798881_thumb.jppost-9891-0-67341800-1455798796_thumb.jppost-9891-0-96031100-1455798768_thumb.jp

Brady Wright, Nilsen

The British have a large collection of just such predators. All safely in custody or dead.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-35-serial-killers-who-377101

As for the tigers, they prefer dense jungle as opposed to places like Chonburi and Kanchanaburi.

Edited by ratcatcher

I think the conservation of this beautiful creature and other species is vitally important for so long man has denigrated the planet raping it of its minerals plundering the oceans of its fish killing animals for show or meat in some cases we do need to take stock.

One asteroid hit or X50 class solar event and Gaia will be all cured.

Must be a wind-up. You can't possibly believe this

I nearly bit but decided to not feed the troll.

Must be a wind-up. You can't possibly believe this

I guess lions and tigers and bears are necessary, but I don't want to live around them.

Actually, my house in Florida has many bears that visit.

They are a pain in the ass at night, getting into everything edible (dog food/cow food/horse food plus they attack the garbage can)

Would you like your kids to live in Lion country?

I once saw a video of an Amazonian Indian lady where her 2 year old kid got taken by an anaconda snake.

I have seen some traumatizing videos before, and that is the only one I wish I could un-watch.

The kid was there one minute, being a kid and the next, he was a victim of a large snake and gone forever, destined for a snake's intestine.

I don't like that.

Edited by jaywalker

That's "drugged" temple tigers.

Are these extra Tigers the ones just released from the temple one wonders???

If they are they won't survive long in the wild since they have been dependent on humans for their entire lives.

They would still be able to eat anything else they encounter

Might be even more dangerous than a wildcat since they would have no natural fear of humans when they get hungry

Precisely.