Too much salt: Over 8 million Thais suffer from chronic kidney disease

webfact

Too much salt: Over 8 million Thais suffer from chronic kidney disease
By Coconuts Bangkok

streetfood.jpg
A street food stall in Thailand. Photo: Anne Roberts/ Flickr

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Public Health revealed this week that over 8 million Thais suffer from chronic kidney disease, with half of those also suffering from diabetes and high blood pressure.

In the run up to World Kidney Day next month, the ministry reveals Thailand ranks third in the Asean community for the number of citizens diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, just behind Malaysia and Singapore.

Asst. Prof. Dr. Surasak Kantachuwessiri, president of the steering committee of World Kidney Day 2016, blamed the kidney disease cases on the high levels of sodium in Thai diets, mentioning the popularity of barbecue among Thais as an example of their preference for salty food.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/19/too-much-salt-over-8-million-thais-suffer-chronic-kidney-disease

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-19

Salty food?

You can't be serious

If anything, thai food is seriously under-salted.

Rice is always coooked w/o salt

That's 50% of your average meal right there...

Only salted fish is very salty here...I don't see it being very popular...at least here in the deep south

Being expensive might be one reason

btw...try asking for salt in a thai restaurant...

Good luck with that

Agreed. You'd get a strange look and fish sauce.

But no mention of the massive amounts of sugar Thais eat, and even have on the table as a condiment along with the chilli and the fish sauce.

If I get re-incarnated, I want to come back as a Thai dentist.

Salty food?

You can't be serious

Only salted fish is very salty here...I don't see it being very popular...at least here in the deep south

Good luck with that

there is a magic elixir called fish sauce that to my knowledge is used occasionally in thai cooking.

last i heard that contained trace elements of sodium.

in fact 1 table spoon contains around 1200 mg salt.

thats around half the daily recommended in one serving

Most Thais I know dont drink enough water. They use fish sauce as a condiment. Also soy sauce and the seasoning packets they use are loaded with sodium. Then there is sticky rice as well....very hard on the kidneys. Due to the calcium.

Basically all Thai food contain excess amounts of salt thanks to the use of fish sauce. One of the staple feeds for Thais is som kind of Nam Prik, basically a chili paste that they eat with the rice and vegetables, egg and so on. For each portion of Nam Prik they make there is about 1 able spoon of fish sauce so by eating what most Thais see as a healthy food 3-4 times a day they get at least 1,5-2 times the amount of recommended sodium just from that. Then Thai people tell me not to eat a sandwich or donat with my morning coffee because it makes me fat... it's my <deleted> breakfast, I don't want to eat rice for all meals!

But just look at the fast food culture: When I see my students eating noodles I can see how they first they add 1 table spoon chili then 2-3 spoons of sugar and finish of with a spoon of vinegar or pickled chili. Compare that to the American fast food culture with burgers and fries that is way to much fat instead.

Salty food?

You can't be serious

Good luck with that

Sorry, but you know nothing about Thai food. True about rice , only.

Thai use Fish Sauce as salt and also MSG ( in everything ) which is also 80 % sodium. If you eat anything which has a sauce; it has MSG in it. Also all Potato chips and snack food have MSG. Even when they eat sour fruits, they dip sugar and salt mixture.

When first tipped up on these shores I was taken aback by the Thai propensity to hold a big pack of salt over whatever they happened to be cooking until half the box emptied. They'd then add a side dip of fish sauce and chilli. One of their oft heard complaints in restaurants is 'kem maak' too much salt.

I know many Thais suffering hbp, together with diabetes due to enormous sugar intake.

Edited by dageurreotype

I learnt long ago, how it's a waste of time pointing out to a Thai the problems with adding fish sauce to everything, or how heaping teaspoons of sugar on fresh ripe fruit like pineapple or even on noodles, is not a good idea. In reply you will be told it won't taste good without it, and that is all that matters. Any health consequences... there is always some medication to fix that...

OMG Saltiest food EVER!! Tom Yum, Tom Ka, all those curries and soups are LOADED with salt. I can eat a big bowl of Tom Yum Gung and the next day SEE the effects on my belly. It's worse than drinking 8 big Leo's. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious and worth it, but not surprised people have kidney probs here. They need to drink more water and not eat soup EVERY day.

Removed some off-topic post. The title of this topic is "Too much salt: Over 8 million Thais suffer from chronic kidney disease". Please discuss the myriad other possible causes of ill health in other topics.

Salty food?

You can't be serious

Good luck with that

You know salt comes in other forms than those white crystals that Americans cover their food in, right?

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-kidney-disease-basic-information?page=2

Doesn't mention salt.

Does mention high blood pressure but the salt to high blood pressure science isn't ironed out yet, low levels are also dangerous according to some studies.

Likely saturated fat related. The new breed is eating tons of meet and fried food, ice cream, snacks and pure garbage.

Salty food?

You can't be serious

Good luck with that

there is a magic elixir called fish sauce that to my knowledge is used occasionally in thai cooking.

last i heard that contained trace elements of sodium.

in fact 1 table spoon contains around 1200 mg salt.

thats around half the daily recommended in one serving

"trace elements" cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Salty food?

You can't be serious

Good luck with that

Most of the sauces here are very high in sodium, and the Thais love their sauces. (and so do I)

Up here in Isan Grilled Tilapia covered with salt is very popular, salted fish of other types are also popular, and sausages that contain high sodium levels.

The article seems to say bbq food is a major source of salt. Only if you buy it from a roadside stall surely. Do it at home and make your own marinate then it can be OK. The problem for Thais is they do love their sauces full of salt, sugar and MSG. British chefs on UK TV have been promoting Thai food as super healthy for years. Just shows a weeks trip filming a show gives the presenter a very false view of real everyday food here.