Two men killed in early morning Phuket crashes

webfact

Two men killed in early morning Phuket crashes
Eakkapop Thongtub

1455854658_1-org.jpg
The driver of the minivan died when rescue workers were taking him to Thalang Hospital.

PHUKET: -- Two men were killed less than two hour apart on Phuket roads early this morning (Feb 19) when they crashed their vehicles north of Heroines Monument.

In the first incident, Col Sanit Nookong from Thalang Police Lt was notified that a minivan had crashed into the back of the 18-wheeler truck on Thepkassattri Rd northbound at 3:20am. The accident happened about 200 metres from the Saladang junction in Srisoothorn.

Kusoldharm rescue workers, who were already at the scene, reported that they were trying to remove the driver who was trapped inside.

Police arrived to find a wrecked Toyota minivan in the middle of the road with rescue workers administering CPR to the driver as they tried to remove him from the wreckage.

It took rescue workers 40 minutes to free the man, named as Nate Sangpayap 35,from Chalong.

Mr Nate was eventually removed from the vehicle and taken to Thalang Hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

“About 100 metres from the wreckage was an 18-wheeler truck parked at the side of the road its hazard lights still on. There was damage to the rear of the vehicle,” said Lt Col Sanit.

The truck driver, Supamit Chunseng, 48, was at the scene.

Lt Col Sanit added, “Witnesses said that the minivan was heading to make a pick up at the airport. It was travelling at high speed and being driven recklessly from left to right as it passed the Thalang junction and then slammed into the back of the 18-wheeler truck.

“We assume the driver fell asleep and this is why the accident happened. However, we still have to question the truck driver and gather more information before we can conclude our investigation,” he said.

Both vehicles involved in the accident were towed to Thalang Police Station.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-men-killed-in-early-morning-phuket-crashes-56283.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-19

Lt Col Sanit added, “Witnesses said that the minivan was heading to make a pick up at the airport. It was travelling at high speed and being driven recklessly from left to right as it passed the Thalang junction and then slammed into the back of the 18-wheeler truck.

This is very typical behaviour from the Heroines monument to the Airport and back. The vans and other 'professional' drivers often come all the way to the left side, when overtaking other vehicles. Not a fun place to ride a scooter.

I seriously doubt he fell asleep while weaving back and forth. If asleep, van would either go left, right, or straight ahead, unless he was dreaming he was driving a van to the airport.

I was thinking the same, does not sound like he fell asleep.

Do people never learn anything from the mistakes of others? We came upon a really bad wreck like that when I was about perhaps 10 years old and to this day I remember that. Everyone in both cars were dead and I knew it. It had been a direct head-on crash on a two lane country road. It's always had an effect on my driving and motorcycle riding.

They just keep committing suicide on Thai highways...

I think it is more likely that the deceased driver of the pickup in the second accident fell asleep. (read the link)

He was heading south at 4.00am with a cargo of shrimp, when he missed a bend and hit a pylon. Who knows how far he had travelled to get there.