FCCT responds to new media visa rule clamping down on freelance foreign journos

webfact

FCCT responds to new media visa rule clamping down on freelance foreign journos
By Coconuts Bangkok

foreign_journo.jpg
A foreign journalist asked a question to U.S. Ambassador to Thailand Glyn Davies at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand in November. Photo: FCCT

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT) yesterday addressed Thailand's new criteria for issuing a media visa, which fails to authorize freelance journalists.

The more restrictive guidelines for the M-visa or media visa issued yesterday by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs made it official that eligible applicants must work full-time and be employed by a recognised news agency.

The FCCT said it was “concerned by any official measures taken by the Thai government that may impede freedom of reporting.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/19/fcct-responds-new-media-visa-rule-clamping-down-freelance-foreign-journos

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-19

So does this apply to independent journalists. Like freelance and the like?? Or do they come under a different visa?

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT) yesterday addressed Thailand's new criteria for issuing a media visa, which fails to authorize freelance journalists.

This does not surprise me !

One only has to review the BBC's blatantly one sided reporting on Thai issues.

No attempt at "balanced reporting" something the BBC were, at one time, renowned for.

How is this anything to do with the BBC?

No attempt at "balanced reporting" something the BBC were, at one time, renowned for.

I used the BBC as an example of an "news" outlet that produces very poor, biased , unbalanced reports.

I should rephrase the question: are freelancers just currently using tourist visas or other visas?

The freelancers I know that were staying longer term used a media visa, but the difficulty of obtaining it, and the time it took to get accepted for it (several months apparently, and a physical interview in BKK is needed) meant that often those coming for short periods of time would just use tourist visas.

Edited by mjwhit

I used the BBC as an example of an "news" outlet that produces very poor, biased , unbalanced reports.

Unlike the Thai media? Good grief!!

the objective of the new guidelines was not to “restrict, forbid or limit the work of foreign media.

Read it for yourself.

#3 would seem to assure the authorities can control a reporter that might otherwise be beyond reach, ie., out of Thailand.

#4 and #5 are very ominous to open and free reporting. Taken a step further, if a reporter sent an undesirable report via the internet to a publisher outside of Thailand, ie., Reuters, he might be charge with a cyber crime.

post-233034-0-91956200-1455872480_thumb.

Nothing really Baboon , but if SunnyJim has a problem with BBC surely the answer would be for the widest possible array of jourrnos, both freelance and affiliated, to be allowed to report and to balance the problem Sunny Jim feels he has with one particular media member. Secondly if a wide ranging group of reporters are not allowed to report how will the world ever know what is happening in Thailand?

To give an example of how hard it is to get real news from The Thai media reported that 86 foreigners died in Thailand in the last 12 months. The Dept of Foreign Affairs, Australia, reported at the same time that 109 out of those 86 were Australians. So we can all see how we need more than just the official Thai source if we are to become informed.