How does suspended passport affect me ?

Im canadian expat in thailand.

My passport expires 2024

got a letter from cdn agency saying my pp will me suspended in march due to child support reasons.i do not owe money and will get all this sorted out but not soon enough i think

How soon will/ can this affect me ?

- affect me when renew visa

- Affect me if fly

- Affect me right away somehow

Also if pp suspended, is it basically just in a datatbase where the suspension is lifted when i get support issues fixed ? or will i actually need to get a new pp ???

ugh ugh ugh

Did the letter tell you to return your passport to them.

From: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/security/refusal.asp

Suspension of passport

A person who fails to pay child support or alimony can be subject to the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistant Act. Under this Act, the Minister of CIC must refuse passport services to individuals subject to that Act and suspend any current passports. For more detailed information about the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistant Act, please see: Part III, Licence Denial.

If a passport is suspended under the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistant Act, it must be returned to the Passport Program. If the passport is not returned, it will be cancelled. Once a passport has been cancelled, it cannot be used for travel or reactivated. However, if the suspension ends before the passport is expired, it is returned to the bearer.

Yes you must do tax return even if only CPP and or OAS as I do each year with a refund because of the low pension amount.Not filing the tax return can also affect what other things you have with the Canadian government such as passport. Must contact the CRA and have them mail the forms to file as it can not be done on the internet. With pension filing you have until June 30th, if I remember correctly to file before penalties if any to be applied. Best to file as a Non resident but they will help you on the phone to decide which category to use.

You could take proof of child support payments to the embassy and MAYBE that would work. Otherwise you will have to shell-out a few thousand dollars for a lawyer and court appearance to prove you are current in child support. It's a lawyer thing ... good for business.

You could take proof of child support payments to the embassy and MAYBE that would work. Otherwise you will have to shell-out a few thousand dollars for a lawyer and court appearance to prove you are current in child support. It's a lawyer thing ... good for business.

I stopped paying in august of 2014 as that is when child support payments for previous yesrs income stops and the cs based on next year income should begin.

My income dropped to a low CPP amount that is too low for cp

FRO is family responsibilty office

So the problem is because my family didnt put a stamp on envelope i had sent to canada to mail, the agency never got my updated income statements... tax assesement ect

The only proof ill have is that my income was and is too low to pay after the august 2014 date based on previous tax return

I stopped paying in august of 2014 as that is when child support payments for previous yesrs income stops and the cs based on next year income should begin.

My income dropped to a low CPP amount that is too low for cp

FRO is family responsibilty office

So the problem is because my family didnt put a stamp on envelope i had sent to canada to mail, the agency never got my updated income statements... tax assesement ect

The only proof ill have is that my income was and is too low to pay after the august 2014 date based on previous tax return

It never ends with ex's does it?

His ex has nothing to do with it. His family being irresponsible has everything to do with it. I understand your income is low by legal standards for CPP but don't you feel some responsibility to take care of your kids ?

• Like 1

Without starting a new thread. Would the Embassy notify Thai Immigration authorities if a US Passport holder has his or her passport revoked because of the new IRS authority. Or would they wait for the person to show up at the embassy for some type of business? Just curious.

Without starting a new thread. Would the Embassy notify Thai Immigration authorities if a US Passport holder has his or her passport revoked because of the new IRS authority. Or would they wait for the person to show up at the embassy for some type of business? Just curious.

The US does nothing until you try to get a new passport or to do some business at the embassy.

Interpol has a list of stolen or lost (i.e. cancelled) passports - which probably does not include suspended.... so until you use it in Canada (or the US) you are not likely to have problems (guess).

BUT, there may be other legal issues in play since the passport is Canadian property - so technically by not giving it back to the Canadian government (and continuing to use it which records a history that you still have it) as required - you could probably be charged for something like theft..... (just thinking outside the box). If they ever decide to throw the kitchen sink at you legally, this could affect future applications where criminal checks are required.

Return of a passport (request from the Passport Program)

Canadian passports are the property of the Government of Canada. If a person is requested to return a passport, the passport must be provided to the Passport Program without delay or by the date indicated. If not returned by the stated date, the passport will be cancelled, and law enforcement partners, such as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and border control agencies, will be informed. In such circumstances, the passport bearer may be subject to investigation and prosecution under the Criminal Code by the police for theft and illegal possession of Government of Canada property.

Please note that a cancelled passport cannot be used for travel or reactivated.

Neither the Passport Program nor any representative of the Government of Canada can be held responsible for problems encountered by people attempting to use a cancelled passport at border crossings.

If your passport is suspended while you are travelling

If you are abroad when your passport is suspended, you have two choices:

• make arrangements to pay your support debt with the Maintenance Enforcement Program that asked for the suspension; or

ask the closest Canadian government office, such as a Canadian embassy or consulate, to give you an emergency travel document. This document will let you return to Canada but it will not allow you to travel anywhere else. For more information, contact Passport Canada.

Interpol has a list of stolen or lost (i.e. cancelled) passports - which probably does not include suspended.... so until you use it in Canada (or the US) you are not likely to have problems (guess).

BUT, there may be other legal issues in play since the passport is Canadian property - so technically by not giving it back to the Canadian government (and continuing to use it which records a history that you still have it) as required - you could probably be charged for something like theft..... (just thinking outside the box). If they ever decide to throw the kitchen sink at you legally, this could affect future applications where criminal checks are required.

Yes they dont play nice.... just got this sent from my relative via messenger pic...i need to start getting my mail sent here...

Yes they dont play nice.... just got this sent from my relative via messenger pic...i need to start getting my mail sent here...

When it comes to making sure the family/children are properly supported and taken care of.... everything is fair game when it comes to making sure people don't run out on their obligations. If you truly do not owe back-support and it is an honest mistake, then it was unfortunate that you have been caught by accident....

• Like 1

If the OP believes that this is a clerical mistake, his best option would be to go to Canada and sort it all out if he is unable to do so from here. As others have said, leaving this kind of thing hanging, by ignoring official notifications and demands, can cause small problems to multiply very quickly into Kafkaesque legal nightmares.

In this age of technology, trying to ignore the fact that a passport is now invalid all sounds rather daft and may lead to arrest at borders, charges of illegal entry, or whatever else the local or Canadian authorities can think of.

Edited by dbrenn