Looking to buy a Quadcopter/Drone from China

nailbrains8

Thanks, they only ship DHL and said I would have to deal with customs but what is the import duty on electronic devices such as a drone? I've heard Thailand zero rates electronics I've also heard there is a standard 5%, the information is not clear.

I don't think they give electronic a zero tax rate or everyone would just order everything from abroad

I've heard of people getting heavily taxed on laptops etc in the past

Ask the seller what Customs Tariff Code they will use, if they don't know find a another seller. The biggest problem with Thai customs is when they are left to their own devices in determining what they can get away with.

Check the duty rates here http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp to avoid nasty surprises.

Thanks, they only ship DHL and said I would have to deal with customs but what is the import duty on electronic devices such as a drone? I've heard Thailand zero rates electronics I've also heard there is a standard 5%, the information is not clear.

I don't think they give electronic a zero tax rate or everyone would just order everything from abroad

I've heard of people getting heavily taxed on laptops etc in the past

Do you have any specific examples please? I've got my last three new laptops in with Fedex with no import fees at all, just the 7% VAT as listed on the Fedex web site.

Over the years I have bought quite a few model airplanes from Hobbyking in HK and also accessories.

Only once have I NOT beeen charged customs duty on the larger parcels! I mostly used EMS postage.

Smaller packages that can be delivered by the postman are not usually charged for.

The last 2 purchases from the same company were a parcel containing 3 Li-po batteries and a parcel containing a model heli.

These last 2 parcels I used the Fed-ex postage and they were delivered to my door instead of me having to collect from the PO.

Neither of these incurred any customs duty but the Fed-ex postage is up to twice the cost of EMS.

I've said this before though, the customs don't seem to have any hard and fast rules. You might be lucky and you might not!

I know people who have argued the cost and got it reduced but most cases, if you don't pay you lose everything!

Also if it helps, using Fed-ex the parcels arrive within about 2 days as opposed to my last one from somewhere in Mainland China which took 3 weks to even leave the country!

I am in no way connected to Fed-ex !!