Living offgrid with small solar system(s)

George Harmony

accidental quote..I wanted to like!

I'm at the same latitude in Hawaii, but I saw this on the coastline in a friend's store..

It was a small free standing air conditioning unit with a fat hose running outside underneath some outside clothing racks. To exhaust the hot, humid air. Now because of You Guys, I think that the dehumidification, is the natural result of cooling.. I think.

That was also a fan to blow at the clerk, right above the unit.

Pic will follow as soon as I go down the mountain to Kona town.

This is what I do for fun..

just because you think that hot humid air was "exhausted" does not make it a fact. because nothing was exhausted but the hot (not necessarily humid) air was the flow of ambient air which was used to cool the condenser and therefore heated up.

you are right that dehumdification is a natural result of cooling but only if the condensate is removed.

irrelevant concerning climatic conditions is the latitude on this planet. Rome, Italy is on the same latitude like New York but Romans never experience a blizzard with a foot or more of snow and minimum temps of -25ºC.

any part of Thailand and most parts of Indonesia are closer to the equator than the east cost of Saudi Arabia where maximum temperatures of 50ºC (122ºF) are experienced every summer.

BUT as Naam basically says, evap is useless given the wrong conditions. If you're desperate in the heat like I've been, wet you head well and get near a fan. Give it a go. Is Naam bald? Just thinking. :-)

no, i am not, au contraire! tongue.pngpost-35218-0-89299200-1462840248_thumb.j

• Like 2

BUT as Naam basically says, evap is useless given the wrong conditions. If you're desperate in the heat like I've been, wet you head well and get near a fan. Give it a go. Is Naam bald? Just thinking. :-)

no, i am not, au contraire! tongue.pngattachicon.gifbald.JPG

Great confirmation thanks Naam and thanks also for also for your tech wisdom. My Thai wife cuts my hair and tries to remove the grey sideburns near my ears because I look "old".

I humbly reassure her it is "wisdom" not age. So guys does this explain all Naam's wisdom? If that's really you, its much more friendly, gentlemanly that your avatar. How bout a change Naam? :-)

Back on topic; was thinking of the practicality of wetting the hair, get near a fan and if it feels cool, that's "cool".

The measuring instruments can take a break for this practical test?? Any thoughts from the team?

Todays Aus news. The state of South Australia closed down its last coal fired power station. Here is their latest clever combination of several things. Water cooled solar panels, rotates to gain maximum tracking, shades the water for reduced evaporation and I'm not sure of what else. Go solar and wind go.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2015/australias-first-floating-solar-plant-opened-in-south-australia-42322

• Like 1

chicken farmers in thailand use large gabion walls filled with coconut husk which is soaked in water and then either sucked or blown onto the chooks using large fans.

Thanks Splitlid. So evaporation works somewhere in Thailand, at some times of the year. This would be an encouraging guide for George in particular before he gets too involved?

If necessity is really the mother of invention, then keeping cool at the moment in LOS is high on the list apparently.

Temps in Oz are set to drop drastically in about 12 days from balmy 30s to minus 2 and snow.

Last week; turn on fans to extract winter sun heating the house, next week log fires and back to the drawing board for slab heating project.

AND covering the fans over.

Edited by Jing Joe

Todays Aus news. The state of South Australia closed down its last coal fired power station. Here is their latest clever combination of several things. Water cooled solar panels, rotates to gain maximum tracking, shades the water for reduced evaporation and I'm not sure of what else. Go solar and wind go.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2015/australias-first-floating-solar-plant-opened-in-south-australia-42322

Now that I like. The idea of water cooling the PV panels has been in the back of my mind as a to do item for some time. Floating them on water is another big plus. Keeping them turned towards the sun on a frictionless bearing and adjusting the angle of inclination gives it that wow factor for me. Also the added benefit of location in a place that doesn't upset too many neighbors is good. It seems that the dual purpose of producing electricity and shading the water from evaporation is a win win situation for all. I will be having a look at the anticipated longevity of the panels under water cooling conditions.

Thanks for that one Jingle Joe

Edited by Muhendis
  • Like 1

Old news from HOlland,the solaroad. Obvious is the importance of solar power for the near future.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6147094

new news from Holland concerning the flopparoad solaroad:

Nevertheless, SolaRoad’s generating efficiency (or lack thereof) is actually a minor reason why it’s pointless as anything beyond a cool demonstration. The major reason is cost. As of last November, the cost was $3.7 million. At the going rate for standard solar of $2/watt installed – that’s what IKEA charges for installations in the Netherlands – $3.7 million could have bought 1.8 megawatts of solar, which over the past six months would likely have produced around 520,000 kWh of electricity in Amsterdam.

http://breakingenergy.com/2015/05/13/solaroad-performs-better-than-expected-remains-pointless/

Electric Fuel Stoves Water researched and discovered in 2003, and has registered patents in the DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND HUMAN RIGHTS R. I

(Directorate General of Intellectual Property Rights) Center. Electric Water Fuel Stove is suitable for all levels and fuel: 10 Litre Water 1 Liter oil cooking needs of the country could be used more or less a month.

Water Fuel Stove is never published 10 national television and published in national newspapers and media WBC London.

Until now we still need investors who know will interest people in addition to business interests.

OFFERED TO INVESTORS TO, BUY PROPERTY RIGHTS / Coop PRODUCTION / PRODUCTION CONTRACT. CONTACT U.S. AT :

Email: [email protected]

yewtoob upload in 2011 to lure investors with potential overunity syndrom. unfortunately no investors found. therefore snake oil / water mixture fuel wet dream abandoned.

research compiled by

D.I.S. Dainful

A guy here claims that when he sprinkle his zinc metal roof like as per attached pict with cooler ground water 2 hours continiously before the sun goes down his house is then much more cooler in the evenings then when he does not make his roof wet no matter how hot it is at time of sprinkling. The ambient temp here is usually cooler in the evenings but sometimes also around 30c. He claims that cause he sprinkle his roof its always cooler in the evenings and never reach above 27c.

Another fiction or true????

post-177483-0-53693700-1462944228_thumb.

motorcycle engine running using water as fuel

Did no typing mean "no comment" Naam? Somehow I dont believe this one. Was it trying to show he was producing HHO gas in the chamber but then it would have needed electrolysis to do this.

No one has commented? What do you say Naam? I know;;; you are just waiting to be asked. :-)

cooling any medium with a cooler medium is neither fiction nor reinvention of the wheel coffee1.gif

So perhaps this is an alternative for me to reach few degree less heat in my room.

I dont know wether this is an advertisement of someone:

So why isn't attic ventilation more effective? According to the FSEC study, heat transfer from an attic to the interior of a residential building is dominated by radiant heat gain from the hot roof decking, not from hot air in the attic. Consequently, controlling attic heat gain through measures other than attic ventilation is preferable and more cost effective.

The FSEC study noted that increasing attic insulation, adding a reflective radiant barrier to the underside of roof trusses or installing a light-colored roofing material is more effective a than increasing attic ventilation.

Art Krenzel, a professional engineer with Phoenix Technologies in Battle Ground, also believes that keeping the roof cool is an important factor. He offers another suggestion.

"I use a sprinkler system on my roof during hot days. I have found that if you can keep the bulk roof temperature at 85 degrees or less using evaporating water, you will drive less heat into the living space from the top," he said.

"As far as attic ventilation is concerned, the better the ceiling insulation, the less effective attic ventilation is at reducing cooling load," Krenzel continued. "However, because heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperature between the attic and the rooms below, any measures that remove the high-temperature attic air will help."

Krenzel's use of evaporative roof cooling may cost less and prove more effective than investing in a solar attic fan.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1906698

On a sunny hot day for example at noon 37c outside the water will evaporate although you live in a humid area. Right or not?? Edited by George Harmony

Sooner or later this gas had to appear in this forum. At least 30 years ago I used one to weld aluminium. No flux needed. The demo was great. I have the plans for the gas producing chamber using concentric rings of stainless steel like scone cutters of different sizes. Except for other projects I would have made this for my home gas but LPG was simpler and my LPG usage is so little. More likely to make one for the workshop for the cleanness of the flame. Steam is the obvious residue. Only one hose for the combined gas.

The guys that made the demo used to fill a basket ball with the gas and insert a spark plug to ignite and first there was a slight expansion then a collapse with the implosion. They stressed the need for flash arrestors after some implosions in the quite lengthy copper pipe from the gas generator to the workshop. Cutting steel was a breeze. Yul Brown was a pioneer I remember about 1967 and the world called it Browns gas. He lived in fear of his life apparently, not from the gas but big time opposition to it. Could have been the acetylene companies. Not sure. Haven't heard much lately but there were units you could buy to run from your arc welder as the power supply. Wonder how old this video clip is? New guy on the scene I reckon? i would/will use my 48V battery and only have about 500mm gas at any one time.

Then there are the car units that supplement the petrol vapour with HHO on the inward side of the carbie butterfly. Then there are the over-one nuts that claim to make the gas from the alternator and so run the car just from water#$%^&*

Way back there was an IDIOT state leader in Queensland in Oz who got sucked into some inventors supposed over one hydrogen car. The back boot was locked away from prying eyes but seems like he had hydrogen bottles there. I forget much of the detail and glad to forget the idiot politician.

Edited by Jing Joe

Did no typing mean "no comment" Naam? Somehow I dont believe this one. Was it trying to show he was producing HHO gas in the chamber but then it would have needed electrolysis to do this.

No one has commented? What do you say Naam? I know;;; you are just waiting to be asked. :-)

no comment means that i have reached a limit wasting my time on rubbish uploaded on yewtoob.

moreover, i am busy reprogramming the super-capacitors of my trilithium-generator which feeds blackhole antimatter into the suction lines of my aircon compressors reducing the inner friction to zero thus enhancing cooling capacity by factor 17.5^99 which triggers my electric meter running backwards.

please don't tell Crossy! i'm afraid he considers this as illegal activity not conforming with forum rules and bans me for life. then i'm back to reading the daily newspaper cartoons for light entertainment.

cooling any medium with a cooler medium is neither fiction nor reinvention of the wheel coffee1.gif

And it thoroughly pee's off many people who see it as a waste of water.

it is indeed a waste of water and completely inefficient if the ceilings of the rooms under the attic are insulated and the attic itself is properly exhausted.

extremely efficient however is misting the condenser units of the aircons with water which can increase cooling capacity easily to 50% and more depending on water/ambient temp delta t.

no comment means that i have reached a limit wasting my time on rubbish uploaded on yewtoob.

moreover, i am busy reprogramming the super-capacitors of my trilithium-generator which feeds blackhole antimatter into the suction lines of my aircon compressors reducing the inner friction to zero thus enhancing cooling capacity by factor 17.5^99 which triggers my electric meter running backwards.

please don't tell Crossy! i'm afraid he considers this as illegal activity not conforming with forum rules and bans me for life. then i'm back to reading the daily newspaper cartoons for light entertainment.

Ok Naam I wont tell Crossy. But your text above is as good as the daily comics. :-) You have untapped talent as a sci fi author. Yes there's time wasting garbage out there.