I saw a wild local (Thai) bear?

peeba7

Out in the woods of course, not huge but big enough to be scary though he/she was more afraid of me. Google calls them Asian bears or sun bears. Anyone else seen a wild bear in Thailand or was my mind playing tricks on me? Other possibilities: very big monkey, very small elephant, pig or hog though, I distinctly recall seeing very large feet along with a fat wobbly body crawling around on fours. My first thought: BEAR

You would need to be in a legally protected conservation area that was sufficiently large and has had continuous protection from hunting and deforestation for years.

Examples :

It is possible to see or hear wild bears in the Western Complex and Kaeng Krajan (all down the National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries along the Burmese border).

Dong Phaya Yen Mountain Range including Khao Yai, Thap Lan, etc.

Phu Soi Dao in Uttaradit still has bears on the Laos border.

Not possible :

A small piece of woodland or a city park.

One of the rangers in Phu Phan National Park, Sakon Nakhon told me the last bear was shot in that National Park a couple of decades ago, in living memory.

Must be at least 35 years ago but I well remember a group trip I made to Khao Yai National Park, there were about 25 of us and we had rented one of the large Dormitory buildings behind the Park Headquarters. As we got out of the cars we heard a lot of crashing and banging coming from the Dormitory kitchen area; several of us went upstairs to investigate and found a Sun Bear searching for food. On all fours he looked to be about the size of a German Shepherd dog so we all thought it was pretty safe and gently herded him downstairs. Once in the car park area he disappeared behind one of the cars, then reared up on his hind legs, front paws on the car roof, to get a closer look at us.

In that stance he was head and shoulders higher than the car, nowhere near as small as he had looked on all fours, so not quite as safe as we had assumed - although he was probably more scared of us!

It was quite funny to see the mad stampede of those of the group who had stayed downstairs in the car park!

Patrick

You would need to be in a legally protected conservation area that was sufficiently large and has had continuous protection from hunting and deforestation for years.

Examples :

It is possible to see or hear wild bears in the Western Complex and Kaeng Krajan (all down the National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries along the Burmese border).

Not possible :

One of the rangers in Phu Phan National Park, Sakon Nakhon told me the last bear was shot in that National Park a couple of decades ago, in living memory.

Brights, does Phu Phan National Park have any wildlife?

Examples :

Not possible :

Brights, does Phu Phan National Park have any wildlife?

There is still a large area of forest there. I am confident the larger mammals have been hunted out. There are probably barking deer. Any would be difficult to see due to the nocturnal nature of many animals and the prevalence of hunting in Isaan as a popular pastime or activity.

The variety of birds up near the high point on the road from Kalasin is quite good.

• 1 month later...

Yes, it is a well protected area and i have seen wild life like no where else. A pigmy deer ran by me so quickly once it took my breath away. I am pretty sure what i saw was a bear but I still can not believe it. It looked smallish for a bear and not the dark black as in the pics more lighter perhaps brown. Seen many monitor lizards, the first one was huge, at least 2 meters long, they are incredibly fast creatures. I still can not get over the bear however. I also wonder about the wild chickens, are they really wild or they escape from captivity? What was the most impressive thing you have seen in the wilderness here? I started to notice insects more. Of course monkeys interesting to watch but i think best to keep distance.

Whilst out on my MTB around 5 0 am just further on then Soi Khaotalo in the dark side of Pattaya I came across a Feral black boar, he didn't look too wild though and did grunt a greeting unlike most of the Farang bikers who seem to be somewhat socially dysfunctional in this part of the world

There was a young sun bear at a resort I stayed at in Kantharalak a couple of years ago. It was about the size of a Koala and the staff took it for a daily walk on a dog leash.

Apparently the mother had been shot by poachers who abandoned the baby.

• 2 months later...

The wild boar in Khao Talo is one of the since generations kept domesticated boars. They are alway roaming between Khao Talo and Khao Noi down to the open area right after the arch of the Wat Boonsampan.

Recently they popped up with a group of 8 yougsters ripping the garbage bags at the roadside apart.

My Auntie has herself 2 of these little f****ers. Some days, they are not in the best mood and its better to get out of their sight if you are not able to pump some .38 bullets into them.

Not much bigger than my bang kaew dogs, they still were able to mix the two brothers proper up.

Even my dogs have now respect and if possible changing their way through the garden as soon they spot them.

...and we are talking about bang kaew dogs as they are usually not backing off.