UK referendum will be on 23rd of June

rooster59

UK referendum will be on 23rd of June

post-247607-0-73648500-1456005006_thumb.

The UK will hold a referendum on membership of the European Union on Thursday 23rd of June this year.

Prime Minister David Cameron made the announcement outside Downing Street.

Cabinet ministers had met to hear details of the renegotiation terms Cameron had agreed with EU leaders in Brussels late on Friday evening.

He told reporters the government would be recommending the UK remains in a reformed EU.

Cameron described it as “one of the biggest decisions UK voters will face in their lifetime.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-21

I'm pretty sure this will be an almost certain loss for the government. I think Cameron knows this, he's not stupid.

European countries have a history of running these referendums more than once until they get the 'right result'.

When they lose in June there will be a lot more leverage to work with for a second referendum. This is the only thing that makes sense, I suspect Cameron knows for sure that he will lose first time around which will give him a much increased negotiating advantage for a second referendum.

If nothing comes of this then I predict that the UK will exit Europe.

Bookies are offering around 4/11, 2/7 even, on the UK remaining in the EU. Bookies didn't get rich by being wrong.

The "out" supporters would have had a much better chance if the question were "Do you think the EU should leave the UK" rather than "Do you think the UK should leave the EU."

As a general rule the establishment wouldn't even hold the referendum if they weren't pretty sure of the outcome.

To be honest Cameron only really offered a referendum because he wanted the UKIP vote,the conservatives were not expected to win remember,bet he is kicking himself now