What's your favoroite 3 in 1 instant coffee in Thailand?

JacksSmirkingRevenge

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like most instants and definitely want to control my own sugar level so I use the Vietnamese pot for single servings of "real" coffee and love it.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.43.11 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.45.46 AM.png

Makes great coffee and very cheap to buy the apparatus. However, some people are simply looking for the path of least resistance--the cheaper and more convenient, the better.

While I was in Thailand I got some packs called "Ali" It was robust, strong and just perfect. I could not find it after that. My wife just got back from Thailand and brought 10 various packages which is also OK for me.

We also get it from the Pacific Ocean Asian food store in Denver. Still keeping my eyes open for Ali coffee. It was the best for me.

stuffs too sweet for me but i keep some moconna gold on hand for emergencies

Also way too sweet for me. I use 2 in 1 if I can find it. The convenience of having these small packs is good esp if you're on move and away from home, and trying to save on weight. I have not seen 2 in 1 anywhere in Chiang Mai

So I wait until I'm in KL or Australia, and buy 2 - in - 1, which is just coffee and creamer and not 50% sugar. Thais seem to have an extraordinary sweet tooth.

French press for sure. Those 3in1 mixes have non-dairy creamers in them. Not healthy in any way............

Even if they had real milkpowder in them i wouldn't drink it.

In Europe the chinese do EVERYTHING to get real good milkpowder. They ship it to china because they don't trust ANY company there for it. Even when Nestle (or Nutricia?) opened a milkpowder factory in China they wouldn't buy it, they need it from Europe ONLY.

Thailand is the same as China regarding quality control.....but if the instant 3 in 1 coffee doesn't even have diary creamer then maybe that's the best.

Myself i only drink homemade coffee with fresh milk from Meiji.

When I am touring on my bike, I always carry a few sachets of Moccona Gold and one of those pigs tail water heaters you put in a cup to boil water.

I've tried most of the others. They are all too sweet for my taste, but the Moccona Gold is the least sweat, and doesn't taste too bad.

The powered dairy cream in those packets is extremely unhealthy and loaded with toxic chemicals .In the '50's Coffee Mate, for ex. was really dehydrated cream and sugar. That changed long ago.Take 30 packets of that poison pour it a bowl along with 30 packets of sugar and see what you're ingesting every thirty days .Not good.

Also spending 14Baht per cup that came to 420Baht per month and putting alot of garbage in my system.. So what I did was,, bought a big bag of Nescafe packets at Tesco. A new electric coffee /tea kettle for 325Baht at some little mom and pop store . Have skim milk in the refrigerator and forgo the sugar. Saved money and I feel better.And have had that kettle for five months and it still works fine.

I don't like most instants and definitely want to control my own sugar level so I use the Vietnamese pot for single servings of "real" coffee and love it.

After my return from Vietnam I startet to make my own coffe. The same as you do.

Very Very tasty. Easy when you by your self.

I have one question csabo?

My Vietnam coffe is empty now. Does anyone knows som coffeshop (Chiangmai) to buy coffe? In that case - what kind of coffe do you recommend?

They are all garbage and part of the reason why so many Thai's are diabetic. Do yourself a favor and buy a drip machine. You can get a decent one for under 1000B.

Right, the only day I drank 3 in1 coffee was when a pretty girl in a supermaket was promoting it, but it's horrible, so much sugar, very dangerous for the health ; I make my coffee with a coffe maker, not expensive and I buy " boncafé " for it

Agree, treat all of these 3 in 1 'coffee' products with caution, they are sugar (typically 40-50%) and creamer (30-40%) laden. Good for emergencies only.

Ingredients listed in order by most volume:

Sugar - 58%

Creamer - 27%

Coffee - 15%

facepalm.gif

they should now call it sugar milk with a hint of coffee flavor?

If you want instant, it is better to just buy the coffee and mix with less sugar

wai2.gif

Why does the moderator let someone write a post like this. Next it will be what is your favorite color ? What do you like better, Coke or Pepsi ?

The guy has 23 posts. He is just wasting our time !

Set up your own personal forum and then you can choose the topics you want to discuss. In the meantime either just don't read what doesn't interest you...or....get a life.

After my return from Vietnam I startet to make my own coffe. The same as you do.

Very Very tasty. Easy when you by your self.

I have one question csabo?

My Vietnam coffe is empty now. Does anyone knows som coffeshop (Chiangmai) to buy coffe? In that case - what kind of coffe do you recommend?

I know of a shop here in Bangkok that sells Vietnamese coffee, albeit at more than double the price I pay in Vietnam. I'm sure there'll be other places importing it. Cambodian coffee can be pretty good too

3 in 1 is for emergencies only, when I can't get to a coffee shop. Starbucks and Tom'n'Toms are excluded.

All types of 3 in 1 are mixes of instant coffee, sodium caseinate, and sugar. As coffee is the most expensive ingredient, it's probably fair to say the bean counters have worked hard at achieving the minimum coffee content possible. Think one would have to be a professional coffee taster to detect any difference in the brands.

Even if they had real milkpowder in them i wouldn't drink it.

In Europe the chinese do EVERYTHING to get real good milkpowder. They ship it to china because they don't trust ANY company there for it. Even when Nestle (or Nutricia?) opened a milkpowder factory in China they wouldn't buy it, they need it from Europe ONLY.

Thailand is the same as China regarding quality control.....but if the instant 3 in 1 coffee doesn't even have diary creamer then maybe that's the best.

Myself i only drink homemade coffee with fresh milk from Meiji.

The Chinese are paranoid about powdered milk because it was discovered in 2012? that a local producer had been adulterating infant milk powder with melamine to cut costs. Causes massive kidney damage. Can't remember how many babies died, think it was in the hundreds. Ever since, local products are widely distrusted.

There's a cohort of Chinese in Australia who are making big money by purchasing infant formula from local supermarkets and shipping it to China in container loads, where it's sold for 10 times the Australian price. Producers can't keep up with demand.

Edited by bazza40

Makes great coffee and very cheap to buy the apparatus. However, some people are simply looking for the path of least resistance--the cheaper and more convenient, the better.

Anything packaged in individual serving like the 3in1 tubes is not cheap compared to a single jar of a similar product. You pay for all that extra packaging. My coffee pot cost 99 baht. You may beat me on conveinience but you definitely beat me on generating waste in a country that needs much less of that.

Edited by csabo

I prefer brewed or drip coffee and only drink it black.

My friend went to Chumphon and bought some local 3 in 1 coffee back. It wasn't too bad. Not sweet and sickly like most 3 in 1s.

I haven't seen that brand in Bangkok though.

Edited by petedk