Pheu Thai party charges charter draft of intending to 'bonsai' the party

webfact

Pheu Thai party charges charter draft of intending to 'bonsai' the party

251959e32ec02552f54da8657a5dce25-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai party has charged that the constitution draft crafted by Meechai Ruchupan’s Constitution Drafting Committee was designed to “bonsai” the party and to allow the military junta to stay on in power for a long period of time.

In a statement issued by the party to voice its opposition to this draft, the Pheu Thai party charged that the draft would put in place a four-step plan to blunt the party’s political advance.

The first step is to make sure that the Pheu Thai party will not win the majority in the parliament. The second step is that if the party manages to win the majority vote in the parliament, then the party will have a weak government to pave the way for an outsider to head the government. The next step is that the government can be ousted by the Constitutional Court with the need of a coup. And, finally, the country will be governed by a mechanism of the minority.

Pheu Thai acting secretary-general Chavalit Wichayasut said that the party could not trust any promise from the junta that it has no intention whatsoever to prolong its stay in power, citing a remark made by Dr Bovornsak Uwanno, the former CDC chairman, that the NCPO wants to stay on in power after the next election.

Mr Chaturon Chaisaeng, a core member of the Pheu Thai party, meanwhile, charged that the charter draft was crafted in a way to allow the junta to stay on up to 20 years, citing the junta’s proposal to the CDC to amend the draft to make sure that the constitution will be enforced for a certain period of time after which there is a break for the charter’s enforcement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151768

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-22

love it, so the people are not going to vote in an election lol

These people need to realise that they can no longer represent themselves and their pockets, they are voted into office to represent the people - perhaps a new concept in Thailand, welcome to true democracy were you don't get it all your own way, the opposition and minorities will actually have some input that you need to listen too and include them ........ funny stuff this

To be fair, the draft Charter is designed to undercut any major political party, as it is based on the principle of "Politicians Bad Bad Bad".

I'm still looking for an English translated version. No luck. Maybe the Junta is controlling that as well. There are certainly few news articles on the subject other than NNT drivel, and the occasional PTP remarks.

Attitude adjustment must be working. I am feeling happier already.

To be fair, the draft Charter is designed to undercut any major political party, as it is based on the principle of "Politicians Bad Bad Bad".

I'm still looking for an English translated version. No luck. Maybe the Junta is controlling that as well. There are certainly few news articles on the subject other than NNT drivel, and the occasional PTP remarks.

I honestly think that it is a good thing that no one single party holds all the cards and ultimately all the power, it is a good thing that the smaller parties will have a bigger say in what goes on and can only be good for the people in general, I can also see why PTP and Thaksin wouldn't like that as he stated in a recent statement, it's quite ironic that a man who was convicted in court and did a runner - has many more charges pending feels he is in a position to criticise anything

Edited by smedly

PTP is in trouble, how they can cheat money from taxpayer with the new constitution

You are correct. Cheating will now be reserved for the elite and the military. PTP has been pushed aside.

maybe you could explain your reasoning as I don't see it....please enlighten us all

The first step is to make sure that the Pheu Thai party will not win the majority in the parliament. The second step is that if the party manages to win the majority vote in the parliament, then the party will have a weak government to pave the way for an outsider to head the government. The next step is that the government can be ousted by the Constitutional Court with the need of a coup. And, finally, the country will be governed by a mechanism of the minority.

So, according to Pheu Thai the new constitution will look something like this:

1. This country name is Thailand

2. Pheu Thai party cannot have majority in parliament.

3. If Pheu Thai have majority in parliament (which cannot have, see #2!), then a farang will become leader of government.

4. The Constitutional Court can coup the government.

5. A minor mechanism (like a lever, or switch) is used to govern the country.

The PTP as well as other Thais have legitimate reasons to suspect that the Meechai draft charter intends to hold a PTP elected government essentially hostage to legal intervention by the military.

But he appears to be misleading in his cite that Bovornsak stated that "the NCPO wants to stay on in power after the next election."

CDC Affirms It's Not Extending Power of Current Legislature, 2015-03-09:

"The Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) has denied claims that a provision in the new constitution to establish a council to oversee national reform is a way of extending the power of the current legislature beyond its initial timeframe."

" the establishment of the new council was not meant to extend the powers of the NLA and NRC."

No mention of the NCPO per se, albeit the NLA and NRC were creations of the NCPO.

Chavalit could have been more correct to cite a statement by Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva who "blasted the Constitution Drafting Committee for crafting a draft constitution which would pave the way for the creation of new parliamentary dictatorship." April 28, 2015

PTP is in trouble, how they can cheat money from taxpayer with the new constitution

You are correct. Cheating will now be reserved for the elite and the military. PTP has been pushed aside.

Exactly. The only thing they want the new charter to do is assure the old guard's place at the trough. And to excuse limitations of personal freedoms and setting up lame duck governments they invoke the name of the ultimate bogeyman.....and some people actually buy this charade. Mind boggling!!

I thought that all parties were dissolved? The junta should do everything in its power to make sure the PTP does not take majority control over anything political.

how very democratic of you.

If you had not noticed, this is exactly what the junta is doing.

Exactly. The only thing they want the new charter to do is assure the old guard's place at the trough. And to excuse limitations of personal freedoms and setting up lame duck governments they invoke the name of the ultimate bogeyman.....and some people actually buy this charade. Mind boggling!!

And do you accept the only thing PTP want is to regain their place at, and if possible control of, the trough?

love it, so the people are not going to vote in an election lol

These people need to realise that they can no longer represent themselves and their pockets, they are voted into office to represent the people - perhaps a new concept in Thailand, welcome to true democracy were you don't get it all your own way, the opposition and minorities will actually have some input that you need to listen too and include them ........ funny stuff this

Ah my dear smedly some input or complete control in disguise that is the question. He who writes the rules rules the day. Its really hard to see if there is a benefactor or a Benedict Arnold in all of this.

I honestly think that it is a good thing that no one single party holds all the cards and ultimately all the power, it is a good thing that the smaller parties will have a bigger say in what goes on and can only be good for the people in general, I can also see why PTP and Thaksin wouldn't like that as he stated in a recent statement, it's quite ironic that a man who was convicted in court and did a runner - has many more charges pending feels he is in a position to criticise anything

Oh Smedly. Don't you know, Thaksin is totally innocent, never done anything wrong in his life, never ever. Even said so on CNN.

All charges and conviction are politically motivated. Did he sign so his ex could by the land, sure. But enforcing the law was "politically motivated". He's not the only crooked cheat in politics you know, but the others don't get prosecuted. Krungthai Bank Fraud, where he's number 1 defendant, others have been convicted and jailed? He'll wait statute of limitations on that serious one, then say it was only politically motivated.

All just big misunderstandings. If everyone just believed his lies none of this would've happened. Pastry box anyone?

I thought that all parties were dissolved? The junta should do everything in its power to make sure the PTP does not take majority control over anything political.

Another graduate of Democracy 101. Are you a member of the Iluminati perchance or the Skull and Bones. Hmm and yes the Junta is doing everything in their power and then some. Democracy here sadly will not come in one fell swoop but brick by brick with a little red attached.

Edited by elgordo38

Yes your right fore shame they should never have implemented the 30 baht card for the people. What were they thinking of? What a great opportunity that was to "cheat" the people. Instead they should have bought military toys like subs tanks new guns and other playthings for the military to occupy their time with. With the present government buying all this military hardware there surely must be a grievous threat to the country from someone now the question begging an answer is who? Do you get the idea that you have seen this movie before? I am.

Edited by elgordo38

And do you accept the only thing PTP want is to regain their place at, and if possible control of, the trough?

Of course. That's why I'm not very optimistic about the near future of Thailand. I just don't see how the persons who actually put the nation's interests before their group/clan (and there are a few) can get into power. What I'm 100 % certain of is that this will not happen as long as the old guard cling to power come hell or high water. The only way Thailand can evolve is to have a flawed democracy that hopefully over time can morph into something better.

Of course. That's why I'm not very optimistic about the near future of Thailand. I just don't see how the persons who actually put the nation's interests before their group/clan (and there are a few) can get into power. What I'm 100 % certain of is that this will not happen as long as the old guard cling to power come hell or high water. The only way Thailand can evolve is to have a flawed democracy that hopefully over time can morph into something better.

You want Thai democracy to "morph into something better" but are hyper-critical of any attempt to change it? You want altruistic persons to run the country, but oppose attempts to limit the powers of the criminals elected in the recent past?

Edited by halloween

You want Thai democracy to "morph into something better" but are hyper-critical of any attempt to change it? You want altruistic persons to run the country, but oppose attempts to limit the powers of the criminals elected in the recent past?

"You want Thai democracy to "morph into something better" but are hyper-critical of any attempt to change it? "

What attempt to change it?? Is there no end to your naivety?

"You want altruistic persons to run the country, but oppose attempts to limit the powers of the criminals elected in the recent past?"

See above comments.

"You want Thai democracy to "morph into something better" but are hyper-critical of any attempt to change it? "

"You want altruistic persons to run the country, but oppose attempts to limit the powers of the criminals elected in the recent past?"

See above comments.

Oh right. And here was I thinking this thread was about PTP complaining about proposed changes.

See above comments.

Oh right. And here was I thinking this thread was about PTP complaining about proposed changes.

Wow. That was a lame reply even by your standards.

Aiming to become a mod, are we?

Let's hope this is the sword that cuts the head off this loathsome snake.

There again, "this loathsome snake" has won every election since 2001, and very likely remains the choice of the electorate when it comes to selecting a government. That they are not in power now, following a democratic electoral process, is because a minority movement benignly watched by the military (perhaps with their consent?) prevented that election, and allowed the military to justify imposing a junta government.

But hey, who cares what the people want... You certainly seem not to.

Edited by JAG