Two Thai girls seriously injured in horrific fairground accident

webfact

Two Girls Thrown from Carnival Ride, Seriously Injured
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14561151731456115362l.jpg
The Hurricane ride Sunday night at a fair at Wat Phra That Phanom.

NAKHON PHANOM — A carnival ride collapsed into its base and injured several riders at a temple fair on Sunday night.

Police and a rescue team arrived at Wat Phra That Phanom to find one arm of the Hurricane-style ride on the ground with two girls unconscious on the ground.

Other passengers were stuck up in the air in other cars before emergency personnel climbed up to rescue them.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456115173

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-22

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Other passengers were stuck up in the air"

Were they also Thai?

I only ask as the link to this story rather unnecessarily read

"two-thai-girls-seriosuly-injured-in-horrific-fairground-accident"

Perhaps it was to alleviate any concern that two farang girls were injured? I initially wondered in which country the mishap occurred judging by the headline.

"A carnival ride collapsed..."

I take it that there is no Thai version of: "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey".

The brakes failed.

------------------------------------------

I tried to teach them many, many times the uses of a torque wrench, as part of my job.

Example: Rebuilding a 6.2 liter truck diesel engine........USE a torque wrench.....Pffff Farang! No need!

The entire concept made them look at me like I had corn growing out of my ears.

Head gasket leaked = water in the combustion chamber = bent piston rod = starting all over again from scratch..... = "Please Sir, you are clever. Show me torque wrench?"

Try explaining a torque-resistant nut to them (it's tapered on one end as well as slightly oval shaped = it DOES NOT get loose with out extreme, deliberate effort)..... Nah, these nuts from Somchai's shop will be just fine.

I tell them, that yes, it will indeed work for a few months, and then it will fall apart.......I get more blank stares.

I gave up on trying, and I tried off & on for a decade. This was all with the RTA too..... that pillar of society.

Edited by jaywalker

No competent folks setting it up, I reckon. It's like those times when you return home and see some repairman in shower shoes and shorts repairing the lift in your 20 storey apartment building.

And why no officials tasked to check the equipment before it starts taking riders?

Jaywalker's account on Thai's using sub-standard or ill-fitting nuts & bolts is correct..I've seen it so many times.

The latest was on motorbike/sidecar mountings..the holes for the bolts were way to big..the nuts & bolts had course-threads, & not a washer in sight..it's the norm here..Ho-hum.

As a foot note I checked the video shown above..after the ride starts to go haywire it seems to take a long time to bring it to a halt..(sound familiar?) Never mind the condition of the brake mechanism (if fitted)..was there anyone supervising this ride..??

"A carnival ride collapsed..."

I take it that there is no Thai version of: "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey".

The brakes failed.

------------------------------------------

I tried to teach them many, many times the uses of a torque wrench, as part of my job.

Example: Rebuilding a 6.2 liter truck diesel engine........USE a torque wrench.....Pffff Farang! No need!

The entire concept made them look at me like I had corn growing out of my ears.

Head gasket leaked = water in the combustion chamber = bent piston rod = starting all over again from scratch..... = "Please Sir, you are clever. Show me torque wrench?"

Try explaining a torque-resistant nut to them (it's tapered on one end as well as slightly oval shaped = it DOES NOT get loose with out extreme, deliberate effort)..... Nah, these nuts from Somchai's shop will be just fine.

I tell them, that yes, it will indeed work for a few months, and then it will fall apart.......I get more blank stares.

I gave up on trying, and I tried off & on for a decade. This was all with the RTA too..... that pillar of society.

They NEVER learn and NEVER will in my opinion unless it costs them financially.

On top of that Ive always found a look of "surprise" when something like this happens as if totally unexpected.

Edited by kannot

I went to Dreamworld when it first opened. most of the rides were from old carny rides from my childhood. In other words Deathtraps. When I see these fly by night seasonal carnivals here I just shake my head.

No competent folks setting it up, I reckon. It's like those times when you return home and see some repairman in shower shoes and shorts repairing the lift in your 20 storey apartment building.

And why no officials tasked to check the equipment before it starts taking riders?

To Quote Abba....Money money money

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Surely, you jest. TIT

An accident occurs --------------cue the Thai bashing comment.

To read some of these comments one would believe such occurrences never occur in the West ------------------------

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/02/alton-towers-rollercoaster-accident-four-seriously-hurt-as-carriages-collide

Read the link and indulge in some "farang" bashing smile.png

Edited by sunnyjim5

... Brown envelope.... check good good, OK OK. All from under the shade of nearby umbrella and iced glass of Singha.

Jaywalker's account on Thai's using sub-standard or ill-fitting nuts & bolts is correct..I've seen it so many times.

The latest was on motorbike/sidecar mountings..the holes for the bolts were way to big..the nuts & bolts had course-threads, & not a washer in sight..it's the norm here..Ho-hum.

As a foot note I checked the video shown above..after the ride starts to go haywire it seems to take a long time to bring it to a halt..(sound familiar?) Never mind the condition of the brake mechanism (if fitted)..was there anyone supervising this ride..??

Yes, Somchai was manning the state of the art, non-skid, anti-lock super safe brake mechanism I'm sure.

He was highly qualified and being paid 300 baht per day. The man had his game face on and was stomping the tar out of the brake pedal, but....... The brakes failed.

-----------------------------

Back to the injured, and back to seriousness, I'm glad my daughter wasn't on that 'ride'.

I hope they all heal up well and soon.

I hate to hear about folks, especially kids getting hurt. I can always picture my daughter getting hurt when I read about such as this and it makes me feel very strange in a not very good way.

I'd lose my mind if my daughter got hurt.

I was at a fairground with some close Thai friends... I saw the ferris wheel looking very dilapidated. I took a couple of photo's of rusted bolts and areas where the bolts were missing and showed them to my friend when his son wanted to go on the ride.

I also showed them to his son, who after looking at the photos was smart enough not to want to go on the ride anymore.

Needless to say, nothing happened that evening... but its a good example of why I'll never let my Child go on any of those fairground rides in Thailand.

Due to completely carelessness a lack of responsibility and culpability these rides are an accident waiting to happen... it really is a shame, however, its also fortunate that there aren't more accidents.

... Brown envelope.... check good good, OK OK. All from under the shade of nearby umbrella and iced glass of Singha.

Nah, they'd be sipping Johnny Walker from inside an air conditioned office and never get within 10 miles of what they supposed to inspect.

To read some of these comments one would believe such occurrences never occur in the West ------------------------

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/02/alton-towers-rollercoaster-accident-four-seriously-hurt-as-carriages-collide

This is a slightly illogical argument.

The question is not whether such occurrences occur in the West or not, but what is the relative frequency at which they happen? No sane person would argue such accidents don't happen in the West, just as no sane person would declare that it doesn't rain in Los Angeles.

But it would be perfectly true to call Los Angeles "sunny" and London "rainy" without intending to suggest that London never has a sunny day, nor LA a wet one...

I was at a fairground with some close Thai friends... I saw the ferris wheel looking very dilapidated. I took a couple of photo's of rusted bolts and areas where the bolts were missing and showed them to my friend when his son wanted to go on the ride.

I also showed them to his son, who after looking at the photos was smart enough not to want to go on the ride anymore.

Needless to say, nothing happened that evening... but its a good example of why I'll never let my Child go on any of those fairground rides in Thailand.

Due to completely carelessness a lack of responsibility and culpability these rides are an accident waiting to happen... it really is a shame, however, its also fortunate that there aren't more accidents.

Off topic here a bit, but not much....

Walking Street a few years back, down near the far south end, which was somewhat quiet back then, there was an electric pole with something seriously wrong.

It was making LOUD electrical popping noises (wires hanging by the bazillion all over it - of course), and had a bright blue arc every 3 or 4 seconds.

I made my way up to the North end of Walking Street & told the cops sitting in the middle of the road at their desk.

One guy spoke perfect American English & said "Yeah. It does that all the time. Don't worry about it".

Why not check the quantity of each countries accident rate first before accusing of Thai bashing?

Ah, I was wondering when the Knights would ride to the rescue.

Thank you for confirming my thinking.

Sigh.

This is a Thai forum last time I checked, so we talk about what Thai people do.

Yes the 'Carnies' as we call the people who work at carnivals in the USA are one STRANGE bunch of people, and the rides aren't much safer, but this is a Thai forum, so we tend to discuss our experiences with Thai people.

It's not Thai bashing.

I've met a few decent mechanics in Thailand, but never met one who wasn't willing to take a shortcut when I had my back turned.

One must admit, it IS a different culture in more ways than one, and I have been in the trenches working with Thai mechanics.

They hired me to show them how to do something, and ignored what I told them and showed them in the technical manuals...for 10 years I tried this.

About 5% would get it. 95% just wanted to do it their own way.

I have sat in meetings with generals in the RTA telling them their brake 60 % of the calipers were leaking when they wanted to send the trucks to Sudan.

They just grinned at me, put new tires & reupholstered the seats, and put a UN paint job on 20 year old truck with leaves and garbage in the brake system.

Steering linkage falling apart etc, etc etc

Deathtraps headed for a combat zone.

It looked good outside, so that was all that mattered.

Edited by jaywalker

Why not check the quantity of each countries accident rate first before accusing of Thai bashing?

Why don't you provide the figures if you wish to make a point ?

Or even the same looking guys fumbling around with the lifts in your 30 story office building in the central business district...

Can't trust anything.

Why don't you express your thoughts of working with Thai mechanics for a decade?

Youre the one making the assumption matey not me, YOU provide the figures