Are the good days in Pattaya gone for good?

flyingsaucersarereal

I've only been here some 6 years. I've noticed huge changes. Massive development and massive traffic jams. Just seems to be getting worse and worse. I think traffic is 2-3 times worse than it was 6 years ago.

I basically don't go into Central Pattaya any more....

Traffic across the whole of Thailand is 2-3 times worse than it was 6 years ago. Eight years ago, I used to do the drive from Pattaya to Udon in under 7 hours. The latest non-stop took 9 hours. More traffic lights, more intersections and loads more vehicles.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been here some 6 years. I've noticed huge changes. Massive development and massive traffic jams. Just seems to be getting worse and worse. I think traffic is 2-3 times worse than it was 6 years ago.

Traffic across the whole of Thailand is 2-3 times worse than it was 6 years ago. Eight years ago, I used to do the drive from Pattaya to Udon in under 7 hours. The latest non-stop took 9 hours. More traffic lights, more intersections and loads more vehicles.

Yes, there are more vehicles on the road. It was part of yinglucks stimulus package. My gf at the time bought a little Nissan March because of it. I was very happy to see her in a car rather than riding a motorbike. She ended up rolling it, but was uninjured. Maybe being in a car saved her life. They are building a lot of new roads though. Hopefully getting more Thais into cars and off motorbikes and out of the back of pickups will help reduce the road toll.

A bit off subject but there are temple parties with very loud music on all this long weekend. Will we have a whinge tomorrow about these noisy Thai people having fun and keeping the farangs awake? I reckon.

Edited by Roomuck

A bit off subject but there are temple parties with very loud music on all this long weekend. Will we have a whinge tomorrow about these noisy Thai people having fun and keeping the farangs awake? I reckon.

It doesn't always go that way... I have a Thai neighbour that complains about me keeping her awake at night... has even complained to the police about me. All unfounded complaints, but it's their country - we are mainly unwelcome guests unless there's a direct link from our bank account to their pockets.

Seriously, your claims that Pattaya is a (very) great city, Thailand is a (very) great country and Thais can do no wrong sound a bit naive to me. I may have said that 10 years ago too, after I just arrived, but I've wisened up since then.

What is it you drink (or smoke) which keeps you so upbeat?biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

I live on 3rd Road Soi 18. When I moved here 6 years ago I could hear a pin drop. People would dump their trash in the overgrown fields where new buildings now stand. Across the street my female visitors would park their cars in the vacant lot, which now hosts a 7Eleven right next door to the Family Mart that was here before me. I could go out on the balcony with a female at night and see nothing but pitch dark and Pattaya Park Tower in the far off distance. Now I have to keep a towel over my window to keep the light out at night. The soi used to be paved silky smooth with nary another vehicle in your vicinity. Now the soi is bumpy with plenty of holes to damage your motorbike tires and there are actual traffic jams! Even with all of that, yesterday was a good old day, today was a good old day, and I am looking forward to tomorrow being a good old day. I will hold down the fort until you guys find that greener pasture.

Pattaya has changed markedly over the last decade or so.

It has morphed from a sleazy sex tourist destination for oil workers/ working class euros and assorted deviants to a mass tourism destination.

The building of Central Festival with the Hilton and other upmarket hotels started the trend which has rapidly changed the face of Pattaya/

Along with this mainstream Thais also sort of rediscovered Pattaya and many come for the weekend now and many have bought condos in the area.

Of course this has meant big changes with the infrastructure bursting under the stress of the increase amount of people and traffic.

Pattaya has in my opinion a much harder edge than before and a less sanuk vibe but of course that is what you would expect with the sort of changes that have happened over the last decade.

My gf at the time bought a little Nissan March because of it. I was very happy to see her in a car rather than riding a motorbike. She ended up rolling it, but was uninjured. Maybe being in a car saved her life.

Just how did she do that.

Careful, Safe, Considerate, Driving. ?

To people complaining about the traffic. Do you realize, that while a pain for the moment, it will be a big improvement for years to come. To people complaining about girl prices, that is inflation, bad luck. Good on them for getting more.

Thailand is the best city in the world, cheap public transport, great weather, cheap cold beer from the beach to the 2,500 beer bars to what are without a doubt the best gogos in the world, an array of fun nightclubs, great Thai pubs, Tomboy bars with girls who love girls, live music catering to all tastes, cheap tasty Thai food, cheap good quality food from an array of other countries, nice and compact where you can get pretty much anywhere in a car in about 15minutes outside of peak times, and if in a rush during peak times you can catch a cheap motorcycle, many world class golf courses near by. The party in pattaya goes 24/7/365

Go to the beach and the friendly locals will lay you out a chair, set up an umbrella, get you food and bring you icy beer, great shopping from an array of markets and more up market stuff also, cheap pool villas, beautiful pattaya bay, the long stretch of Jomtien Beach golden sands and the crystal clear waters of Koh Larn. Every single day the is someone having the best day of his life in Pattaya, whether he is a 20 year old, or a 80 year old, pattaya doesn't discriminate. Friendly happy people everywhere. I could go on.

No where on earth offers such a hedonistic lifestyle.

I would say God Bless Pattaya, but he already has.. I often wonder what I did to deserve him choosing me to live here. I often think I must have been Mother Thderesa in my last life. I am grateful for everyday in Paradise City.

The good days are not over, all days are good days in this great city.

You either work for TAT or your smoking some of that funny stuff.

Please get back on your medication.

To people complaining about the traffic. Do you realize, that while a pain for the moment, it will be a big improvement for years to come. To people complaining about girl prices, that is inflation, bad luck. Good on them for getting more.

Thailand is the best city in the world, cheap public transport, great weather, cheap cold beer from the beach to the 2,500 beer bars to what are without a doubt the best gogos in the world, an array of fun nightclubs, great Thai pubs, Tomboy bars with girls who love girls, live music catering to all tastes, cheap tasty Thai food, cheap good quality food from an array of other countries, nice and compact where you can get pretty much anywhere in a car in about 15minutes outside of peak times, and if in a rush during peak times you can catch a cheap motorcycle, many world class golf courses near by. The party in pattaya goes 24/7/365

Go to the beach and the friendly locals will lay you out a chair, set up an umbrella, get you food and bring you icy beer, great shopping from an array of markets and more up market stuff also, cheap pool villas, beautiful pattaya bay, the long stretch of Jomtien Beach golden sands and the crystal clear waters of Koh Larn. Every single day the is someone having the best day of his life in Pattaya, whether he is a 20 year old, or a 80 year old, pattaya doesn't discriminate. Friendly happy people everywhere. I could go on.

I would say God Bless Pattaya, but he already has.. I often wonder what I did to deserve him choosing me to live here. I often think I must have been Mother Thderesa in my last life. I am grateful for everyday in Paradise City.

Geez, both medicated and dedicated...good combo for the likes of Pattaya...????

You are seriously jaded. What part of that summary bothers you so much?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

My wife was in her village over the weekend. First time in 3-4 years. She was amazed at how many people now have cars. Years ago, there were only a few.

You are seriously jaded. What part of that summary bothers you so much?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The B/S that flows out of it.

It is amazing how some people can find disaster anywhere they go, and then yet another person in the same place walks around the corner and finds paradise...cheesy.gif

Agreed..... This is called different levels of consciousness.. People see what they want to see.

The Pattaya defendants on here need to re read the OP..

Yep the good old days are gone..... Does it mean you can't have a good time here, of course it does not...

As I read this thread I'm having a nice cup of coffee on my balcony. It's a sunny morning, there's a nice cool breeze, and I'm getting a leisurely start enjoying the view of the boats and all the activity on Pattaya Bay. Later, I will be doing many of the same things I did in the USA--just cheaper and with much nicer February weather. The good days of Pattaya aren't gone for me.

It is amazing how some people can find disaster anywhere they go, and then yet another person in the same place walks around the corner and finds paradise...cheesy.gif

Agreed..... This is called different levels of consciousness.. People see what they want to see.

Yep the good old days are gone..... Does it mean you can't have a good time here, of course it does not...

It might also have something to do with how much people drink (and smoke), whether or not they are single or married and what they want out of life. I can understand how some single, heavy drinkers on a low to moderate budgets could call Pattaya paradise.

Bugger all to do with drinking, smoking, age, budget or whatever convenient pigeonhole springs to mind. There are the perpetual glass half empty guys; an attitude that probably comes from a life (still) unfulfilled. Then there are those that don't regret their past choices and embrace the life yet un-lived.

It doesn't always go that way... I have a Thai neighbour that complains about me keeping her awake at night... has even complained to the police about me. All unfounded complaints, but it's their country - we are mainly unwelcome guests unless there's a direct link from our bank account to their pockets.

Seriously, your claims that Pattaya is a (very) great city, Thailand is a (very) great country and Thais can do no wrong sound a bit naive to me. I may have said that 10 years ago too, after I just arrived, but I've wisened up since then.

Just about to head out today to get me those rose colored glasses.

I never said that Thai people can do know wrong, but by reading thaivisa you would be lead to believe all the women are prostitutes, all Thai blokes go around clubbing tourists to death and rent jet skis.

And yes I am rather upbeat with my life/lifestyle especially as I go back to dreary Oz every year and see how they live, I imagine the USA would be no better, and England a lot worse.

I also find many comments about Thai people here degrading and rude. Mum has always said if you haven't got anything nice to say, then shut the flick up. I am also a big believer in "if you don't like it here just flick off."

And despite many people here knocking me, many others agree. Thank you to all my fans out there, most of who were also chosen by God to live in Pattaya, Thailand. The have seen the light and are also enlightened.

And for all the knockers, and there have been many, not a single one has been able to give me a better city in which to live. Not one. One did say Portugal, but didn't give a city.

And I am deadest fairdinkum mate, if there is a better place, I will move there. Why wouldn't I? Hedonism is my religion. There is no afterlife, heaven is now, and the Holy City is Pattaya with the Heavenly Angels. (but, I haven't found the Virgin Mary yet).

And to the people who say I am only a newbie, I first came to the great city as an eight year boy in 1978, stayed at the newly opened Royal Cliff, came back as a kid and a young adult countless times. Lived here for seven years and can HONESTLY say I love Thailand and the Thais more every year.

My gf at the time bought a little Nissan March because of it. I was very happy to see her in a car rather than riding a motorbike. She ended up rolling it, but was uninjured. Maybe being in a car saved her life.

Just how did she do that.

Careful, Safe, Considerate, Driving. ?

No, her mother got cancer and nearly died. Chemo etc etc. so every weekend she drove from Bowin where she worked to Lampang and back. I think she may have been sleepy which caused the accident.

SO true, been that way since forever. In fairness to the disaffected, though, Pattaya does treat them differently--but for a benevolent purpose.

Pattaya Reality Distortion Field - Pattaya detects your continuously puckered sphincter and figures you just ain't gonna fit in here, never gon' be a hansum man, and so you really need to go, esp. as you don't have that much money anyway. It then warps the local reality surrounding you personally to make you as miserable as possible to help you reach ASAP the terminal "last nail in the coffin" and "killed the goose" gibbering stage.

The idea is for you to take the sphincter, shut up and bugger off to find happiness in, say, the paradise of Cambodia where you're wanted. Can't be to another town in Thailand: you'll not get over your OCD and just have to keep bashing Pattaya from there. Then you can complain about that country! Here for example is obviously a Pattaya refugee who emigrated to the paradise of Portugal:

Why are chops as thin as paper here? And where is the Fish n Chips? I have not yet found a fish that I can fry. After all the water has drained, it falls to pieces as they become so thin. All the congelado fish are 50% water that you pay for.

--Ukkram Male, Sooooo disappointed

After all, that would be best for you and spare the rest of us. It's the only way, as reasoning is utterly futile.

Obviously, now, the beach has biases against certain people and so it treats them differently. If an old doomsayer walks near, it will immediately send a turd floating by to be the subject of a later indignant TV forum rant against The Great Satan: City Hall. City Hall is always wasting and stealing their flyspeck of tax paid.

Just about to head out today to get me those rose colored glasses.

I never said that Thai people can do know wrong, but by reading thaivisa you would be lead to believe all the women are prostitutes, all Thai blokes go around clubbing tourists to death and rent jet skis.

And yes I am rather upbeat with my life/lifestyle especially as I go back to dreary Oz every year and see how they live, I imagine the USA would be no better, and England a lot worse.

I also find many comments about Thai people here degrading and rude. Mum has always said if you haven't got anything nice to say, then shut the flick up. I am also a big believer in "if you don't like it here just flick off."

And despite many people here knocking me, many others agree. Thank you to all my fans out there, most of who were also chosen by God to live in Pattaya, Thailand. The have seen the light and are also enlightened.

And for all the knockers, and there have been many, not a single one has been able to give me a better city in which to live. Not one. One did say Portugal, but didn't give a city.

And I am deadest fairdinkum mate, if there is a better place, I will move there. Why wouldn't I? Hedonism is my religion. There is no afterlife, heaven is now, and the Holy City is Pattaya with the Heavenly Angels. (but, I haven't found the Virgin Mary yet).

And to the people who say I am only a newbie, I first came to the great city as an eight year boy in 1978, stayed at the newly opened Royal Cliff, came back as a kid and a young adult countless times. Lived here for seven years and can HONESTLY say I love Thailand and the Thais more every year.

I am here because of work, but to be fair i like it here. once you get over the negatives it is ok. Is the best place on earth? Is it "heaven" as you describe it, err, no.

It all depends what you want out of life and also how much money you have got. Lets be very honest, if money was not an issue Pattaya would not be number 1 choice on where to live.

There are many, many places I would rather live if i could. however, I prefer Hong Kong to Pattaya for sure, better food, better standards but property is pricey to rent and buy.

I love the algarve in Portugal, Santorini in the Cyclades even Lindos in Rhodes, all are prettier, more laid back and have amazing seafood. Plus people are friendly and love to live life and are open to foreigners.

I have travelled to many more places that are better then Pattaya, if you really want to know where I recommend you move to next then let me know..

in the meantime, glad you are happy, enjoy yourself. As much as i might not agree with you it's good to hear someone that has a positive attitude about their life.

Have a great day,,

It might also have something to do with how much people drink (and smoke), whether or not they are single or married and what they want out of life. I can understand how some single, heavy drinkers on a low to moderate budgets could call Pattaya paradise.

I here the moaning about how much ciggies and booze have gone up in 10 years, but uk hasnt??? lol.Not many say how cheap gas, electric, bin collecting, thai food, baht bus, insurance, both house and vehicle, houses, do i need to carry on????

I here the moaning about how much ciggies and booze have gone up in 10 years, but uk hasnt??? lol.Not many say how cheap gas, electric, bin collecting, thai food, baht bus, insurance, both house and vehicle, houses, do i need to carry on????

Cheaper does not mean better. i think the comment is right, a lot of people who call Pattaya paradise are low earners who can now afford simple things like cigarettes, restaurants, booze, reasonable accommodation, and hookers (my personal hate) etc,, but it does not make it paradise.