Urgent donations needed for medical bills of a British expat in Samui

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand. Apparently the doctors left a piece of metal in the man's foot and then want to get paid for their mistake.

Please help me on that one.

I can help you.

There might have been reasons to let the metal in...

in medicine no treatment is without risk and no treatment is with 100 % healing guarantee

Most of the time it is biology or chance and you cannot blame the doctors - who most of the time do the best they can

(not saying this case cannot be the doctor's fault)

From the ITV website:

He is lying seriously ill in a hospital in Thailand, where he lives with his second wife, after picking up an infection after a simple operation on his toe went wrong.

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/story/2016-02-17/appeal-by-family-of-seriously-ill-man-in-thai-hospital/

stream_img.jpg

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2016-02-17/boy-from-rotherham-launches-campaign-to-fly-home-dad-taken-critically-ill-in-thai-hospital/

There is a British John Law from Yorkshire on Linked in, previously worked for SATORP Saudi Aramco Refining Petrolchemical & Co., currently at Samui Exclusive Designs. Is this the same man?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-law-48155921

I reckon thats him.

From the John Law FB page is this pic. Tattoos match and his FB mentions oil rig drilling and mining stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/john.law.7543

post-186594-0-64234300-1456137315_thumb.

It is understood that John had complications after having a toe removed in Thailand, some metal was left in his foot after the operation and that caused a very serious infection.

I may be wrong but should not the hospital in fact be held responsible for this tragic matter?

It would seem as if there was and still is gross neglect so it becomes malpractice on the side of the hospital and its medical team.

Gross negligence this is Thailand nobody takes resposibility for anything. They blame the Burmese.

"nobody takes resposibility for anything"

Including the responsibility to insure themselves. Sorry for his plight, but there are many people whose lives are miserable through no fault of their own. The fact that he's a British expat doesn't mean he goes to the head of the queue.

It is understood that John had complications after having a toe removed in Thailand, some metal was left in his foot after the operation and that caused a very serious infection. Joe says he needs funds to pay the hospital for his Dad, who was not insured, or he may never see his Dad alive again

How heartbreaking the sentence is. What surprises me is that he's under an oxygen mask, but nothing about a coma?

So was the photo taken right before, or right after the operation?

I'm dealing with patients in similar circumstances on weekly basis and I'm just wondering if anybody would give a flying one if Somchai would have an accident and no money for an urgently needed operation.

Once daddy's okay again, will he really go to the UK, thought it's an expat? And if he's got another accident, will they ask for donations again?

The guy's obviously old enough to understand why people pay horrendous amounts for an insurance that they don't have to be a burden for others.

Thai hospitals are pretty cool regarding foreigners in emergency situations and they do not let him die because he doesn't have money.

And while Somchai's fighting with his life, there're plenty of people who think they change the world when donating money for the guy.

I'd rather like to help Somchai, to be honest.

If it was a due to malpractice i believe rather his family should get a good lawyer and sue the bloody hospital and ensure they pay for all the expenses. But im sure in Thailand they will never admit their mistakes or faults.

Heard many stories where the families have to take out a personal loan to pay for these types of situations. Perhaps the family investigate this path before asking for help or like others have commented. Give a full story about what, where, why and how he got in this situation. If he was a victim then there will be much more compassion, if this was self inflicted in some way then I dont like his chances.

If it was a due to malpractice i believe rather his family should get a good lawyer and sue the bloody hospital and ensure they pay for all the expenses. But im sure in Thailand they will never admit their mistakes or faults.

Malpractice is a civil matter, it could easily take 10 years for a malpractice case to get to court.

And in practice, claimants don't win these sorts of cases in Thailand, at best all they do is get to rack up large legal fees and then withdraw..

Heard many stories where the families have to take out a personal loan to pay for these types of situations. Perhaps the family investigate this path before asking for help or like others have commented. Give a full story about what, where, why and how he got in this situation. If he was a victim then there will be much more compassion, if this was self inflicted in some way then I dont like his chances.

I beleive the toe was removed due to health issues.

It is understood that John had complications after having a toe removed in Thailand, some metal was left in his foot after the operation and that caused a very serious infection.

I may be wrong but should not the hospital in fact be held responsible for this tragic matter?

It would seem as if there was and still is gross neglect so it becomes malpractice on the side of the hospital and its medical team.

Gross negligence this is Thailand nobody takes resposibility for anything. They blame the Burmese.

A falang trying to sue someone or an institution in Thailand ? Unfortunately that just doesn't work. To the authorities falang are just second-class visitors, they don't matter. Court proceedings get draw out over years, you either lose, or give up. You always have to find an alternative.

What surprises me is that he's under an oxygen mask, but nothing about a coma?

I'm dealing with patients in similar circumstances on weekly basis

The mask is assisting the mans breathing via a clearly visible machine, either using CPAP or SMIV but you would know all about that as you deal with these matters on a weekly basis.

Which ITU do you work in and what as ?

If it was a female, this thread would be overloaded with people asking where to donate.
But as he is a male, he and his family get 3 pages of crap.
Not only rejecting to donate a penny, but also the compulsory crap from the ThaiVisa experts.

I only have 1 word for it.

Disgusting.

If you don't want to donate anything.
Fine.
Don't donate and go to read the next thread and stop your crap.

Where are the Mod's when you need them?

A questionable generalization I know of a hip operation which was redone completely free of any charge recently.

I also had a battery failure and had a new one put in.

When the car still didn't start and it seemed to be the solenoid the first thing the proprietor said......even after labeling all visible sides of the battery with a permanent marker......was would I like him to put the old battery back in.

I thought it was above and beyond good behaviour.

Archived