Urgent donations needed for medical bills of a British expat in Samui

webfact

I might be inclined to donate if I knew the actual story. However, a picture of a very well tanned guy, supposedly in a hospital in Samui, together with a story about having his toe removed and metal left in his foot, is hardly adequate to open purse strings - in this land of scams..

Does he live in Samui ? What hospital is he in ? What is his diagnosis ? What hospital removed the toe ? Why was the toe removed ? - -motorcy accident? shot in the foot ? failure to take diabetes meds ? speedboat/jetski accident ?

In other words, how real is the need ? How worthy is the recipient ?

Well folks insurance when you are past 65 is prohibitive. I have been lucky all of my life with my health, but just cannot afford medical insurance.

Then recently I had to have an operation on my knee. Living in Samui, I guess this guy went to Nathon Hospital as any of the other hospitals

would have been astronomical. But I had to pay B180,000 for the Op, plus every test and X Ray prior to the operation. I still cannot afford

Insurance, so if I have anything further happen I'll be asking you guys for support (ha, ha only joking).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I don't believe in God either

Whether my financial struggles are relevant or not, it';s about choices you make, God (providing there is one) doesn't make them for you, you yourself are responsible for these choices and the consequences they have,

You're a piece of work.

Bunch of Thaivisa tightwads, at least donate $5 each, or it may be you next that nobody helps. It's shameful less than 100 people have offered any help so far.

Better still... those that do not bother with insurance should cough up $100 each, never know it could be them next time.

Whilst you're at it, can you deposit some money into my bank account as well, as I'm struggling to pay for the health care premium of me and my family.

Nice perspective..

So you think it's ok for all those people that visit and live in Thailand to have no health insurance? If they want to save money on that, why don't they deal with the fall out as a consequence?

For me it's a indeed a struggle to pay the insurance premium every three months, at the moment. I still consider this to be important though and keep paying these bills and keep taking out the insurance each year, to not be in a situation as this person and plenty of people before him. Sorry for not feeling sorry if I don't feel compassionate for people who think they can get a free ride here.

I rather not have to ask my family to bail me out. It's a choice I made, a very long time ago, when I decided to come and live in Thailand.

Personally I haven't got any health insurance, but I know if anything serious happens to me the good folk on Thai Visa will pay my bills, if I ask nicely.

Of course we will, as long as the bills don't go over BHT1,000.

You can't have the cake and eat it too. You want to save money by not having an insurance? Then don't complain when you get in trouble. Might as well start a fundraiser because you were thinking of the right lottery numbers but didn't buy a ticket.

And no, people are in fact allowed to voice opinions that contradict you Goody Two-shoes on a discussion forum.

While I feel sorry for him, once again someone without travel insurance.. Which cost nothing compared to airline ticks and so on.. Go fund me seems to be popular these days.. Thinking so should travel insurance !

He wasn't travelling. He lives and works on Samui.

I might be inclined to donate if I knew the actual story. However, a picture of a very well tanned guy, supposedly in a hospital in Samui, together with a story about having his toe removed and metal left in his foot, is hardly adequate to open purse strings - in this land of scams..

Does he live in Samui ? What hospital is he in ? What is his diagnosis ? What hospital removed the toe ? Why was the toe removed ? - -motorcy accident? shot in the foot ? failure to take diabetes meds ? speedboat/jetski accident ?

have to agree with you TM,but what good is thai medical insurance here in thailand?

you need very very costly policy cover,for the cost of hospital stay in icu,a couple of hundred thousand bht.wont cover these leaches.just have a look at your first class motor cover to see what you get for hospital cover,it only just about covers b+b.

have to agree with you TM,but what good is thai medical insurance here in thailand?

you need very very costly policy cover,for the cost of hospital stay in icu,a couple of hundred thousand bht.wont cover these leaches.just have a look at your first class motor cover to see what you get for hospital cover,it only just about covers b+b.

The best insurance that BUPA offer is not too bad . the Platinum care plan should be enough for most people.

BUPA Platinum Plan

Let's get this straight the gentleman had an operation in a hospital in Thailand , the hospital left some form of metal in his foot but for some reason will not take responsibility for there errors. Or have I mis understood the article !!

Now, lets think about this! This healthy looking man had his toe removed. After the toes is removed, the doctor planted some

metal in the area where the toe was removed. Right? Something is not right here! I think a possibility of a scam, but not sure.

Lets have the RTP send a team to investigate. After the group photos, the RTP will release their findings! God, I Love Thailand.

Don't You?

I read recently they are hoping to introduce the compulsory insurance next year. The reason being was hospitals and embasys are increasingly bearing the expense. If this is the case he has no worries, if not it's more lies to excuse further milking as many of the 30 odd million tourists.

I hate to ask the obvious, but why is an infected toe a good reason not to fly back to the UK and get it looked at by proper healthcare professionals?

If as it seems you have just come in on this matter, i suggest that you scroll back to page one and see the photos..........DUH ! facepalm.gif

Some , especially older folk, can be forced out of the health insurance market by ever increasing premiums as they become older.

The costs rise even in the absence of any claim(s)

Same with funeral insurance, after paying in for 15 years mine has become too expensive, just had to walk away from it.

Let's get this straight the gentleman had an operation in a hospital in Thailand , the hospital left some form of metal in his foot but for some reason will not take responsibility for there errors. Or have I mis understood the article !!

Now, lets think about this! This healthy looking man had his toe removed. After the toes is removed, the doctor planted some

metal in the area where the toe was removed. Right? Something is not right here! I think a possibility of a scam, but not sure.

Lets have the RTP send a team to investigate. After the group photos, the RTP will release their findings! God, I Love Thailand.

Don't You?

Where does it say that the doctor/surgeon planted metal into the area. rolleyes.gif

Message from family:

"Just an update on John's condition. there is no change as yet he is still on the ventilator and the medical bill is rising fast. if this bill cant be paid then the treatment will stop for him . Joseph would like to thank everyone who has donated so far but now the donations have seemed to stop. please please keep donating as he has a long way to go to get enough to cover this Medical Bill for his dad thankyou"

I read recently they are hoping to introduce the compulsory insurance next year. The reason being was hospitals and embasys are increasingly bearing the expense. If this is the case he has no worries, if not it's more lies to excuse further milking as many of the 30 odd million tourists.

What country do you come from, Embassy paying for medical expenses??

Message from family:

"Just an update on John's condition. there is no change as yet he is still on the ventilator and the medical bill is rising fast. if this bill cant be paid then the treatment will stop for him . Joseph would like to thank everyone who has donated so far but now the donations have seemed to stop. please please keep donating as he has a long way to go to get enough to cover this Medical Bill for his dad thankyou"

The treatment will NOT stop but the bill will increase as long as treatment is required.

Message from family:

The treatment will NOT stop but the bill will increase as long as treatment is required.

Either way money's still needed.

Looks like malpractise in which case the hospital should be covering the complications incurred by the metal left inside. The intial medical cost for the surgery,care needed to stabilize his condition enough to withstand travel and travel cost is still a substantial amount.

He is travelling down the road to where he lives,not half way across the world.What about 400k baht for marriage visa,that's what it is there for.What does he live on,fresh air,must have money in a bank,somewhere.

Archived