Irish Man Badly Hurt As He Hit By Speeding Motorbike On Pattaya Second Road

britmaveric

Irish man badly hurt as he hit by speeding motorbike on Pattaya Second Road

23_10_5.jpg

Police and rescue workers along with an ambulance from the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital rushed to Pattaya Second Road in front of the entrance to Soi 13 in the early hours of Monday Morning after receiving reports of a foreign man who had been knocked down and badly injured by a speeding motorbike.

At the scene, the victim an Irish National was being treated by medical staff for a badly broken right leg and a serious head injury. According to witnesses he had been hit, as he crossed the road, by a fast approaching motorbike driven by a Thai man who did not give us his name. The Irish man was treated at the scene and later taken to Hospital where is now recovering from his injuries.

We urge you to take care when you cross roads here in Pattaya as cars and motorbikes can often come from nowhere. As you cross the road, keep looking for approaching vehicles and cross the road as quick as you can.

-Pattaya City News

Monday 23rd October 2006

No doubt if the Irish man was driving a car carefully and the Thai speedy motor cycle crashed into him, no fault of the Irish man, he would have been locked up, possible charged and having to pay some serious money. The Irish man that is….

I find that if I wait for the traffic lights to change at Pattaya Thai I can get across 2nd Road no problem. It is a very dangerous road to cross and motor cycles are the worst offenders, especially tatooed, singlet wearing, pudding basin helmeted strap hanging loose, farangs who are not averse to giving out a mouthful of the worst language to old biddies carefully trying to cross.

Crossing Second Road in the daytime is certainly risky to say the least due to the volume of traffic, particularly with motorbikes weaving in and out.

But in the early hours of Monday morning, one would expect the traffic to be relatively light enabling a pedestrian to readily see approaching vehicles.

A rotten thing to happen to the injured man, but one has to wonder how he failed to spot the motorbike, speeding or not... :o

Crossing Second Road in the daytime is certainly risky to say the least due to the volume of traffic, particularly with motorbikes weaving in and out.

But in the early hours of Monday morning, one would expect the traffic to be relatively light enabling a pedestrian to readily see approaching vehicles.

A rotten thing to happen to the injured man, but one has to wonder how he failed to spot the motorbike, speeding or not... :o

Maybe (just maybe) he had been imbibing and his faculties were a tad impaired. It does happen. :D

Maybe (just maybe) he had been imbibing and his faculties were a tad impaired. It does happen. :D

Perhaps the City Fathers should erect some safe overpasses instead of the monstrosity they are goiing to build in the name of beautification, and spend the money saving lives...

I lived in Fun Town for 8 years and this problem has existed as long as I can remember..

In Pattaya there are many what we would call Zebra crossings, they appear just to be a waste of white paint…

And give tourists a false sense of security, if they are Crossing points what are the rules and if drivers must give way to pedestrians then why are the police not earning tea money?

BB

:D-->

QUOTE(Basil B @ 2006-10-25 12:59:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crossing points what are the rules and if drivers must give way to pedestrians then why are the police not earning tea money?

BB

Crossing points - normally indicate drivers to speed up!!! :o Do admit its like playing dodge-em crossing the road, can get quite interesting. I normally hope others are crossing and let them get in the way of on coming traffic, or hope a baht bus stops and blocks the street.

No doubt if the Irish man was driving a car carefully and the Thai speedy motor cycle crashed into him, no fault of the Irish man, he would have been locked up, possible charged and having to pay some serious money. The Irish man that is….

That's not true. First of all you must have insurance when driving a car in Thailand, and first class insurance carries a bail bond.

Most of the police are pretty fare when it comes to accidents. If some one is injured you must go to the police station, and if someone is killed, no matter whose fault compansation mustbe made.

Barry

I always cross the road with MrsBoJangles nearest to the oncoming traffic. :o:D

Sadly I do the same. :D:D

:D

Doesn't 'mrbojangles' mind...? :D

Nah, it's her native country, so she knows how to cross better than me :D In the UK, i am always nearest to oncoming traffic. Not too bad of an exchange, considering cars actually stop at crossings in the UK :D:D

Sadly I do the same. :D:D

Doesn't 'mrbojangles' mind...? :D

Nah, it's her native country, so she knows how to cross better than me :D In the UK, i am always nearest to oncoming traffic. Not too bad of an exchange, considering cars actually stop at crossings in the UK :D:D

Errmm, I was referring to britmaveric doing the same with mrsbojangles... :D

I always try to cross with a group of Thais (girls preferably) drivers have a tendency to allow larger numbers of Thais to cross,

If i can't cross with Thais a group of Chineese tourists under a pick-up will slow it down a bit before it gets to me :D:D

Seriously though, I would like to see pedestrian islands at least

Edited by Tufty

Sadly I do the same. :D

Doesn't 'mrbojangles' mind...?

Errmm, I was referring to britmaveric doing the same with mrsbojangles... :D

Sorry Noel, i missed that, went straight over my head :D:D

That's not true. First of all you must have insurance when driving a car in Thailand, and first class insurance carries a bail bond.

Most of the police are pretty fare when it comes to accidents. If some one is injured you must go to the police station, and if someone is killed, no matter whose fault compansation mustbe made.

Barry

I can’t believe you disagree with my post and then agree with every point ive made.

If some one is injured you must go to the police station, , he would have been locked up

no matter whose fault compensation must be made. , possible charged and having to pay some serious money, no fault of the Irish man.

I am aware of a horror story where the farang involved with the accident says at the scene he has insurance and will pay. Note that this was a car with a thai motor cycle crashing into the side. Apart from some cuts and broses and no more than 10,000bht worth of damage to the bike The thai whiteness on scene saying wasn’t farangs fault, farang agrees, later police come and take him to the station, when he gets to court he changes his story from THAI FAULT to FARANG FAULT, then the court gave him a deportation order as the judge said that the farang lied to the police earlier. The farang change the plea only to bring the matter to a quick conclusion.

This particular farang, British guy had to pay ½ million bht to all the people involved to be able to stay in the country.

Too bad something similar didnt' happen when a farang hit my husband as he was turning into our driveway, with his indicators on. The farang came speeding up behind him, decided that my husband's blinking turning signal indicated that he should pass and he drove straight into our truck, damaging the door.

The farang lied to the police and they let him off with having to pay half the cost of the damage.

So, it isn't always the farang's fault, even when it is the farang's fault. Depends on the policeman.

As for trying to cross the street, day or night, speeding motorcycles are a menace no matter where in thailand you are or what time of day you are trying to cross the road.

Too bad something similar didnt' happen when a farang hit my husband as he was turning into our driveway, with his indicators on. The farang came speeding up behind him, decided that my husband's blinking turning signal indicated that he should pass and he drove straight into our truck, damaging the door.

The farang lied to the police and they let him off with having to pay half the cost of the damage.

So, it isn't always the farang's fault, even when it is the farang's fault. Depends on the policeman.

As for trying to cross the street, day or night, speeding motorcycles are a menace no matter where in thailand you are or what time of day you are trying to cross the road.

I've always though that the person who is turning his car - overtaking or turning in any way is always at fault even though he has indicator on. He should make sure that it is absolutely safe to do any maneouvre.

Crossing the roads here in Pattaya is a nightmare, particularly when half drunk. When I awake sometimes I don't remember walking home, so surely crossing the roads in this state is hazardous?

The first thing to go out the window when drinking is judgement.

So sometimes I charter baht buses to take me directly home for 100 baht, and shall do so more often after reading stories like these.