King cobra killed after raiding camp

webfact

King cobra killed after raiding camp
Phuket Gazette

kc1.jpeg
Rescue workers hold up a dead three-meter-long king cobra, which was beaten to death when it raided a workers' camp. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- A three-meter-long king cobra was killed after attempting to sneak into a workers' camp in Paklok yesterday afternoon.

Snake catchers from the Kusoldharm Rescue Foundation rushed to the camp after receiving a report about the deadly reptile, but by the time they arrived on the scene, the camp's occupants had already dealt with the snake their own way.

“By the time we arrived, locals had already beaten the snake to death,” said Thanachote Rotpon.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/King-cobra-killed-raiding-camp/63229?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-23

Yeah my housekeeper found one in my kitchen one morning; had to give her a raise. My friend in the next village was chopping bamboo shoots in the hills outside his village and got bit by one; he chopped the head off with the machete, roped off his arm, jumped on his motorscooter,raced home, honking his horn threw it to his wife, made it to the hospital, was treated, went home and... ate the snake.

I just love the "attempting to sneak into the camp". Too funny for words. Maybe it should read, "Rare King Cobra brutally beaten to a pulp by a bunch of macho Thai's, while going about it's business."

And the twice-used word "raided" is hardly appropriate either.

A King Cobra eats only other snakes ,mostly other Cobras, In and around a camp rats and other small animals attracted by the camps garbage attract these snakes .If a King Cobra is in the camp then other and potentially dangerous snakes are there also.

3 metres pretty big for a cobra - wish it could have been caught and released as probably not that many here that size - but as it was killed let the campers cook it and eat it

The King Cobra can grow up to 20 feet long. Most snakes always continually grows through it's life time..Thats is why it sheds it's skin.

Pathetic. sad.png

The workers actions? And you would have done what, precisely?

Call the foundation to come and pick it up. We are encroaching on their habitat, not the other way around. I do have a son and a wife. If one was in the garden, run, lock the bloody door and call for help.

Does everything have to be killed in this country?

A King Cobra eats only other snakes ,mostly other Cobras, In and around a camp rats and other small animals attracted by the camps garbage attract these snakes .If a King Cobra is in the camp then other and potentially dangerous snakes are there also.

If I went into the bathroom at 230am to take a piss and ran into this snake, I am certain I would come completely out of my skin.

I'd do my very best to leave it alone as it would most likely be on it's way. If I happened to step on it on the way to the toilet, I would be in a world of hurt and pain.

Tough call on this, but what you say is true, the other cobras are probably the bigger problem.

What next.....Deadly Spider Threatens All Visitors to National Park. Over the long weekend thousands of people were perhaps the closest they have ever been to death. If not for the spider being stepped on.

Would they have killed it if it had walked up to the gate and introduced itself rather than "Sneaking" into the camp? "Hi, I am Charles, a King Cobra, just visiting an old friend if it is OK with you, yes, here is my I.D, you are most welcome to make a photocopy"

..here's my 'entry' permit...fangs a lot...don't coil me I'll coil you. smile.png

Edited by rodcourt49

Thai reaction to a large snake is always MUST KILL IT. no matter what it is. I once saw a king cobra over 5 mts beaten to death with police standing by with automatic weapons in case it got away!