Metered taxi from Phuket Airport to Patong?

Nayet

7-800 Bht

The cheapest means is via the bus or use a shared van service.

Up to 800 Baht? And that's with the meter on? Wow. Looks like I will be taking a bus.

I'm relatively certain the taxis will refuse to turn on the meters in Phuket - no matter where you are or want to go. You'll get a fixed price quote and "take it or leave it."

This is from a frequent traveler forum and is in reference to a recent trip to Phuket:

"We rented a car from Thai Rent a Car. One of the smartest moves I'd say - we could travel anywhere we wanted and whenever we wanted not depending on local taxi mafia. After getting quotes like 1500THB return transfer from the airport, 300THB one way to Kamala (5 min ride), 1500THB for car/driver hire for 6 hours - you will see why renting car would make so much sense."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1748516-summary-after-three-days-phuket-khao-lak.html

7-800 Bht

Up to 800 Baht? And that's with the meter on? Wow. Looks like I will be taking a bus.

I'm relatively certain the taxis will refuse to turn on the meters in Phuket - no matter where you are or want to go. You'll get a fixed price quote and "take it or leave it."

This is from a frequent traveler forum and is in reference to a recent trip to Phuket:

"We rented a car from Thai Rent a Car. One of the smartest moves I'd say - we could travel anywhere we wanted and whenever we wanted not depending on local taxi mafia. After getting quotes like 1500THB return transfer from the airport, 300THB one way to Kamala (5 min ride), 1500THB for car/driver hire for 6 hours - you will see why renting car would make so much sense."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1748516-summary-after-three-days-phuket-khao-lak.html

There are meter taxis and yes they use the meters. There is also the Airport Limo Service, no meter and maybe slightly more than the meter taxi, unless the meter taxi gets stuck in traffic... But both are quite a bit more than Bangkok taxis.

7-800 Bht

Total hogwash mate.

Monday night friend and I jumped in a metered cab, meter went on, he got dropped in Chalong, myself later in Rawai, we each had to pay 100thb airport fee, all-in-all total on the meter was 800thb, so the two of us basically got to our destinations for 500thb each. Fair enough, or should I say fare enough?

40km for £16 or $US 22 ?

If that seems expensive are you sure you should be coming to Phuket ?

It looked more like 25 km on the map, but you are right, for a 40 km trip it's not really that bad. I guess I'm just comparing to taxi fares in Bangkok.

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

I'm going to backtrack a bit on my last post as billythehat, might indeed have something there (I haven't actually been in a Patong guesthouse in a long time).

In looking at C&N Hotel Patong (this used to be my haunt in the 90's when I was a robust youthful Patong partier) they offer complimentary (free!) airport service for 3 nights stay.

So although BTH's approach was a bit rough, he does have a point that it's worth looking into if you are coming in as a tourist.

I'm going to backtrack a bit on my last post as billythehat, might indeed have something there (I haven't actually been in a Patong guesthouse in a long time).

In looking at C&N Hotel Patong (this used to be my haunt in the 90's when I was a robust youthful Patong partier) they offer complimentary (free!) airport service for 3 nights stay.

So although BTH's approach was a bit rough, he does have a point that it's worth looking into if you are coming in as a tourist.

cheers and a point indeed although a robust point of view is not always welcome here...hee hee...

But now since your OP got nuked people might be a bit lost.

People - BTH and I had a disagreement over his method of lining up transportation from the airport with your guesthouse choice. He said thats the way he handles it I said for sure they pad that fare, whats the point (?).

Then in researching, he's right and has a point that it is worthwhile to see what your hotel/guesthouse can provide as the place I used to stay does it complimentary.

May the Farce Be With You.

post-92090-0-65298200-1456392527_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Does the meter taxi stand at Phuket Airport shown in the Airport Guide Website still exist? 

taxi stand.jpg 

Public Taxi Service

A metered taxi stand is located outside of the Phuket airport main terminal building of the far right as you exit the terminal.

The average fares from Phuket airport are; Phuket Town 400 baht, Patong 550 baht, Kata/Karon 600 baht plus a 100 baht airport surcharge. The trip will usually take approximately 30 minutes to Phuket, 40 minutes to Patong Beach, and around one hour to Kata/Karon.

On 2/24/2016 at 10:36 AM, grumpyoldman said:

Total hogwash mate.

Monday night friend and I jumped in a metered cab, meter went on, he got dropped in Chalong, myself later in Rawai, we each had to pay 100thb airport fee, all-in-all total on the meter was 800thb, so the two of us basically got to our destinations for 500thb each. Fair enough, or should I say fare enough?

Sounds like he got you for an extra 100 baht.  It is 100 baht airport surcharge per vehicle, not per person.

I use the 'meter taxi' at the stand on the right as you walk out of terminal around 4 times per month.

The vehicles and the drivers are ok I suppose (relatively speaking to the general state of vehicles and drivers in general in Thailand). I've never had a bad experience yet. 

They ALWAYS use the meter. It's the fare plus 100 (airport surcharge), so about 400 to Chergntalay area all up for a 20 minute ride. I guess that's not cheap, but it's as cheap as it's going to get.

My local 'driver' who, admittedly, uses an SUV, charges 600-700 for the same journey. We only use him if we've loads of luggage.

FC

I came out of the Airport today. The metered taxi stand was no longer there at the southern part of the airport. There was one man who claimed to be the metered taxi person. 

When I asked him, where is the metered taxi stand, he pointed to the north. I did not follow the lead as I had my scooter parked on the other direction. However I didn't notice any metered taxi point, while I rode past the arrival areal. Maybe it's still there, somewhere?

57 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I came out of the Airport today. The metered taxi stand was no longer there at the southern part of the airport. There was one man who claimed to be the metered taxi person. 

When I asked him, where is the metered taxi stand, he pointed to the north. I did not follow the lead as I had my scooter parked on the other direction. However I didn't notice any metered taxi point, while I rode past the arrival areal. Maybe it's still there, somewhere?

Should be under the on ramp to departures, right side about 50m as exit arrivals.

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

Should be under the on ramp to departures, right side about 50m as exit arrivals.

I'm not sure what you describe. There was no longer a taxi stand at the southern part of the lover part of the airport, the arrival area. 

Archived