First time extension at Chachoengsao

Overall, a good experience yesterday at Chachoengsao immigration. Got there around 9 and there was no queue. I had followed a checklist I found on these forums for all the docs required to apply for an extension based on marriage. The lady on reception immediately asked why don't I apply based on retirement instead of marriage (I'm over 55 and had more than 800K in the bank)? Because I might want to get a work permit. In that case there was a problem with my docs: she wouldn't accept a print out from google maps - a hand drawn map would be OK; my photos were too small - I'd printed them as 4" x 6", one per sheet of A4; at least 1 photo had to show us with the front door or gate with the house number. So looked like we'd need to go back home to Prachinburi to sort out the photos and come back the next day - but then my bank letter would be 8 days old and unacceptable. My local branch of Bangkok Bank took 5 days to issue the letter, we didn't have time to get another one before my entry visa expired end of the month. The receptionist pointed out there was a branch of BBL just up the road that would issue the "bay rap roong" on the spot. And they did, and while we were waiting at the bank we decided to apply based on retirement for this first year and then next year we can come back better prepared and apply based on marriage. So back to Immigration, still no queue, and all done within half an hour. A nice friendly atmosphere, staff and customers exchanging jokes. And now I can put my feet up and relax for the next 12 months, officially retired.

• Like 1

Pleased to hear it went well; I never look forward to my annual trip down the immigration, what should be a mundane visit just to apply with updated documents always seems to become stressful with a hoop or two to jump through.

A question to all:

"...for all the docs required to apply for an extension based on marriage. The lady on reception immediately asked why don't I apply based on retirement instead of marriage (I'm over 55 and had more than 800K in the bank)?"

I'm just wondering why immigration suggested Retirement extension (800k in the bank) compared to Marriage extension (400k in the bank)? Am I missing some perceived benifit retirement extension gives over marriage extension?

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Pleased to hear it went well; I never look forward to my annual trip down the immigration, what should be a mundane visit just to apply with updated documents always seems to become stressful with a hoop or two to jump through.

A question to all:

"...for all the docs required to apply for an extension based on marriage. The lady on reception immediately asked why don't I apply based on retirement instead of marriage (I'm over 55 and had more than 800K in the bank)?"

I'm just wondering why immigration suggested Retirement extension (800k in the bank) compared to Marriage extension (400k in the bank)? Am I missing some perceived benifit retirement extension gives over marriage extension?

I did this last week and the reason is that is so easy with an extension based upon retirement, you get your stamp in the passport same day or a day later. If you apply on marriage it could take up to a month according to immigration and it is more paperwork , But I will go through that process with marriage extension next year due to less financial requirements and the possibility to get a work permit...

A question to all:

A retirement extension involves fewer requirements and is consequently less work for the immigration officer. In many offices, the retirement extension can be issued the day of the application while the marriage extension (because it must be signed off on by a higher level immigration official) requires the applicant to return a second time to get the stamp.

• Like 1

I also travel from Prachinburi to Chachoengsao I have done so for 6 years now always found the very helpful the only query I had last week was that my bank letter was a day old but I explained to them the last 5 years I did the same and they did not say any more all finished in about 20 minutes and even gave me a new 90 report slip

A question to all:

The officers typically try to promote it as "easier", implying that it is easier for *you*. True, the paperwork requirements are less, but it is really easier for the officer.

I have done 8 extensions of stay based on marriage. Every time the option of doing the extension based on retirement has at least been mentioned, even before I was age 50. Every time I politely refuse, and proceed with the extension based on marriage.