Worried about getting a red stamp on my 2nd visa run (tourist visa)

Hello everyone!

I have a few questions to ask about getting a second tourist visa. My tourist visa (double entry) that I got from Vientiane, Laos last year is gonna end next month. Now, if I go to Penang and get a tourist visa which is single entry, would there be a possibility that I might get a red stamp on my passport? I only have that 1 tourist visa on my passport that I got from Laos. Or should I go back to Laos and get my tourist visa there without worrying about getting a red stamp? I'm just not sure if they'd give me a red stamp or not on my 2nd tourist visa (in Laos) as the rules always change.

And another thing, I'm staying close to Sadao so I'm thinking it's cheaper to do the visa run in Penang, instead of going to Laos. It's just that red stamp thing that I'm worried about.

Also, does anybody here know if Nongkhai Immigration officers ask things like show money, air ticket, etc. upon entering Thailand?

All answers would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You will not have a problem getting another tourist visa in Penang. Certainly no red stamp.

No reports of Nong Khai asking for anything you mentioned.

agreed on that.

I didn't think the border was the issue. I thought the thing you had to worry about was the people at the embassy asking for bank statements, return ticket, etc. Is that not the case?

You will not have a problem getting another tourist visa in Penang. Certainly no red stamp.

agreed on that.

I didn't think the border was the issue. I thought the thing you had to worry about was the people at the embassy asking for bank statements, return ticket, etc. Is that not the case?

Not in Penang or Laos.

• Like 1

Is there a limit to the number of tourist visas issued from a consulate, Penang specifically?

Thanks in advance for any replies

There is no official limit, but they will stop around 3... depends on the location. I've done 2 in Laos. But they're the most lenient location.

Vietnam, HK, Singapore much more strict about issuing them.

I was in Penang last week for a Tourist Visa all the advice above is correct. Jim from Jim,s Place on Chulia Street did the business for me , he charges 40 ringgit for the service. I arrived Wednesday afternoon and went to his shop gave him my passport , two photos and 190 ringgit and signed the visa application form , in and out in five minutes. I collected my passport and visa from him on Friday afternoon. I enjoyed the trip and George Town a lot better than my first visa run when I went to Savannakhet last year.

I was in Penang last week for a Tourist Visa all the advice above is correct. Jim from Jim,s Place on Chulia Street did the business for me , he charges 40 ringgit for the service. I arrived Wednesday afternoon and went to his shop gave him my passport , two photos and 190 ringgit and signed the visa application form , in and out in five minutes. I collected my passport and visa from him on Friday afternoon. I enjoyed the trip and George Town a lot better than my first visa run when I went to Savannakhet last year.

You got your third tourist visa?

Problem is not getting the visa,

It's mostly going through the immigration at Don muang / Suva airport;

Llast time i went there the officer was looking each page of everyone's passport and questioning, he asked me why i had 2 tourist visa, what i was doing, where exactly i was staying.

The guy in front of me was stuck when the officer asked him to present his return ticket, he had to unpack all his cabin bag to find the paper.

Some people are so paranoid...... and sometimes it is justified , but in this case, it is not.

You'll have no problem getting a visa, and they won't ask about tickets, fund, etc.....yet.... but i'm sure with the currents trends, they will soon.

Thank you guys for the reply. Yes, I am a bit paranoid because I am a Filipino. Last December, when I exited to Penang, as soon as the immigration officer at the border on Sadao saw that I'm holding a Filipino passport, he asked me to show 20,000 baht right away. I guess there's many Filipino here in Thailand working, holding tourist visa, but in my case it's different as I am not working at all. I got in no problem though.. The red stamp is the only thing that I was worried about....

How about for Farangs who already went to Penang and planning to go back and get 2nd tourist visa?

Some people are so paranoid...... and sometimes it is justified , but in this case, it is not.

You'll have no problem getting a visa, and they won't ask about tickets, fund, etc.....yet.... but i'm sure with the currents trends, they will soon.

Why is he paranoid? He's only asking as a newbie on here.

Give the guy a break.

Its not about the limit of each consulates.

It's about the limit on immigration computer system that gives an alert after 4 TR extensions within 12 months.

Huuum interesting ;

But why would the system flag the tourist who have too many extensions but not the ones who have too many TR visas !?

Meaning is : Don't extend your visa, just get out / in with a new visa ... just surprising.

Its not about the limit of each consulates.

It's about the limit on immigration computer system that gives an alert after 4 TR extensions within 12 months.

is this true? what do you say, UbonJoe? I never heard this before, but who knows.

It has no basis in fact. There was in a post by member that said he was told that by an immigration officer. That is the one and only time I have seen or heard of it being mentioned.