Government hospital

brownknees

I am wondering if the reason the op did not disclose the name of the hospital where he was treated is because it was a fake posting.The only reason i say that is because,surely,before a surgeon removes a growth,wouldn't he do a biopsy to ascertain exactly what sort of growth he is dealing with? Were any facial x rays done before surgery?i always thought that laser surgery was the burning of a blemish,tattoo,port wine stain.Surely the depth of the treatment was discussed.Also what was the after surgery medication,and did he have to make a return visit as follow up.The price is also suspect.The 350 b all in is very cheap for that kind of treatment when you consider that people are charged tens of thousands of baht for a simple operation.I am not saying that the op was deliberately lying,but there are people who post here and leave out the details on purpose to frustrate other op's or those who might be in need of similar treatment just don't understand why someone would make such a posting without sharing the details with all.

Has anybody heard anything of the op since?

Or has he come back with the details on another forum.?

KKD

Perhaps the OP is not bothered if anyone replied or not and was just leaving some positive info.

For your info I had a mole on my neck removed a few years ago at a Gov. hospital in Bangkok. They also used a laser and did the biopsy after it's removal. Can't remember the name but if you go straight on at Victory monument coming from Ding Deng turn left at the first lights it is on the right. (Hope that keeps you happy) An excellent hospital but that also means lots of waiting around. Cost was about 500 Baht

Just because you are on here a lot and have had some bad experiences doesn't mean you should jump to bad conclusions about others who might have other things to do than answer your questions.

On the whole I agree with the OP that the standard of Gov health service in Thailand is pretty good. Having said that for anything major I would use the ones in KK or BKK and get any diagnosis double checked as that seems to be their weak spot.

Edited by somo

Swissie, I suggest you actually go to a government hospital, before you spout off nonsense. The doctors have 6 years of medical school, not 3 semesters, then they have their internship residency and all the rest. Sure many smaller hospitals aren't as well quipped as major city hospitals, but that's the same in the west also. My district hospital has a CT Scan, the local hospital in my home country didn't have one when I left 12 years ago, don't know about now. The University Hospital in KK, is one of the best in Thailand. You are always so negative about Thailand, it would probably be better for your medical health if you left.

I HAVE BEEN to Government Hospitals numerous times. On that, I base my judgement. I am not stating that the medics only have to study 3 semesters = it only feels like it.

KK university hospital can hardly be compared to the majority of Government Hospitals somewhere in the sticks. Most Isaan Farangs don't live in KK.

My comments are negative? How about objective? Objectivity is not far away from "truth". But truth is seldom welcome in Thailand.

Cheers.

Hello All, Korat is my experience with the Gove hospital is very good, Saint Mary's

wanted to take my leg off, still have it!

Gov hospital lines are too long for my liking and I now go to the Army Hospital here.

The Dr. that handles my high BP and diabetes id great, and speaks good english.

rice555

Swissie, I suggest you actually go to a government hospital, before you spout off nonsense. The doctors have 6 years of medical school, not 3 semesters, then they have their internship residency and all the rest. Sure many smaller hospitals aren't as well quipped as major city hospitals, but that's the same in the west also. My district hospital has a CT Scan, the local hospital in my home country didn't have one when I left 12 years ago, don't know about now. The University Hospital in KK, is one of the best in Thailand. You are always so negative about Thailand, it would probably be better for your medical health if you left.

I HAVE BEEN to Government Hospitals numerous times. On that, I base my judgement. I am not stating that the medics only have to study 3 semesters = it only feels like it.

KK university hospital can hardly be compared to the majority of Government Hospitals somewhere in the sticks. Most Isaan Farangs don't live in KK.

My comments are negative? How about objective? Objectivity is not far away from "truth". But truth is seldom welcome in Thailand.

Cheers.

swissie you have a track record of putting down all things Thai especially Isaan.

If you hate it and the people so much I do wonder what you are doing here. I have yet to read anything positive from you.

If you cannot look on the bright side please go home and stop pretending you have some insight into life here because you don't.

• Like 1

Hello All, Korat is my experience with the Gove hospital is very good, Saint Mary's

wanted to take my leg off, still have it!

Gov hospital lines are too long for my liking and I now go to the Army Hospital here.

The Dr. that handles my high BP and diabetes id great, and speaks good english.

rice555

The army hospitals do seem good.

About a year ago I had cellulitis in my leg which only became obvious on a return trip to BKK.

The doc in the soi where we used to live told me to go to the army hospital down the road as it was urgent I got treatment straight away and I wouldn't have to wait long there.

They were great and within half an hour I was in a bed and on an antibiotic drip. Changed every 6 hours for 3 days. Total. cost 3000 Baht which included more antibiotics to be taken over the following 10 days. Brilliant but then they had seen what was wrong many times so a no brainer as to what treatment I needed.

• Like 1

Cheers.

That same hospital in KK is in the grounds of the university. One of the best medical universities in the country. A university that sends its graduates to serve as doctors all over Thailand. Including the stick.

Your comments are wide of the mark, Swissie.

• Like 2

Cheers.

swissie you have a track record of putting down all things Thai especially Isaan.

If you hate it and the people so much I do wonder what you are doing here. I have yet to read anything positive from you.

If you cannot look on the bright side please go home and stop pretending you have some insight into life here because you don't.

Inevitably the "If you don't like it here, go home" Mantra has once more come into play. Issued by people that staunchly refuse to see the darker sides of Paradise.

Can't comment any further, otherwise I would go too far "off topic".

But just as a hint, read more of the sub-forum "Thailand News". There one will find plenty of Farangs, that are not afraid to comment "on the darker sides of Paradise".

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Cheers.

Inevitably the "If you don't like it here, go home" Mantra has once more come into play. Issued by people that staunchly refuse to see the darker sides of Paradise.

Can't comment any further, otherwise I would go too far "off topic".

But just as a hint, read more of the sub-forum "Thailand News". There one will find plenty of Farangs, that are not afraid to comment "on the darker sides of Paradise".

Cheers.

Don't you think it odd that you hear this mantra from so many posters here?

Make sure you know someone who knows the doctor or slip him the accepted sum of money unless you have time to wait 6 hours for a consultation. Alternatively, go to to a private hospital and ask the consultant which government hospital he also works in, then transfer. Same doctor, a fraction of the price.

Been there . done it ,

3000 bht . wheels oiled , job done.

• 2 years later...
On 23/03/2016 at 8:54 PM, Issangeorge said:

Swissie, I suggest you actually go to a government hospital, before you spout off nonsense. The doctors have 6 years of medical school, not 3 semesters, then they have their internship residency and all the rest.

The going rate is also $50,000 to buy a license to be a doctor. There are MANY 'doctors' here that haven't a clue about medicine.

On 24/03/2016 at 7:44 PM, somo said:

It is sad but there are so many like this. I'm not say Swissie is.

They are found by an Isarn woman, usually online these days. Use most of their life's earning to build a house in the middle of nowhere and don't go to Thai classes(often wife won't let them, even if they wanted), therefore can't speak to their neighbours, take part in community projects etc and live sad lives, usually becoming alcoholics with no friends. After a couple of years, they realize they've made the wrong decision but have too much invested to walk away. 

On 2/29/2016 at 12:10 AM, thehelmsman said:

Had private room where myself and her mother slept. Cost was 35,000baht. Vs. having unknown doctor deliver, open ward, family having to sleep hallways or get a hotel room.

This isn't a jungle! They certainly don't pop out babies in front of every one. Babies are born in private and cared for the same as any other civilized country. and the doctor isn't unknown, and isn't a open ward. That 35,000 baht could have been used by you to purchase medical equipment for a poorer district, so others could benefit, and give other mums and babies a better start in life!

3 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

This isn't a jungle! They certainly don't pop out babies in front of every one. Babies are born in private and cared for the same as any other civilized country. and the doctor isn't unknown, and isn't a open ward. That 35,000 baht could have been used by you to purchase medical equipment for a poorer district, so others could benefit, and give other mums and babies a better start in life!

One of my kids was born in a govt. hospital. I would choose the same again, it isn't a difficult procedure and the large ones have better equipment than the private ones, if there is an emergency.

22 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

.......it isn't a difficult procedure.....

Ha! “Not difficult” now that’s a man speaking!   Were you allowed in the room to witness see how difficult birth actually is?  If my husband tried that one on me he’d regret it!

The government hospital in our province has been fine for delivering both our children. The doctors at the main private hospital we go to work at the government hospital anyway. However, we delivered our children with a clinic doctor the wife saw throughout the pregnancy. Private room for both kids. Free of charge due to her work (just had to pay for the clinic doctor). 

For me, I am happy to go to the government hospital for general things. Anything too serious I go to the next province (khon Kaen Hospital). 

Government hospitals are free for me so I tend to choose them. Private hospitals are only better in the sense you can build a closer relationship with the doctor. I am on email terms with my baby's doctor, and when I was sick she was in contact with the doctors in Khon Kaen to make sure I was getting looked after. Also, if our kids ever needed any scans or tests she would write them up to have them done at the government hospital (free) on the days she volunteered there. Unfortunately, she is moving to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya ICU, but she still frequently emails me to see how my family is going. 

Edited by wildewillie89

Another staunch supporter of Queen Sirikit in KK, go every 4 months. Just be prepared to sit around for a few hours, including the wait for prescription meds. Same cardiologist most times. Just repeat prescription.

And a hernia op in the one right behind Sirikit, forget the name, cost 23,000 Baht. Ward, about a week. Couple of years ago.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:46 AM, Johnniey said:

One of my kids was born in a govt. hospital. I would choose the same again, it isn't a difficult procedure and the large ones have better equipment than the private ones, if there is an emergency.

I agree about the Gov hospitals having better equipment as my wife had to have our baby in one due to them having incubators 

But she did tell me there were 3 other women with her (this may have been a room or area for assessment of progress )

She told me of the docs doing the Vaginal check & the women screaming from it 

My wife i think didn't have to go through that due to her having to have ( forgot the word ) our son cut out 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2016 at 7:49 PM, swissie said:

As the OP has disclosed, Government- Hospitals in the sticks can handle "minor health problems" perfectly well.

If Mister Farang end's up in a Government- Hospital in the sicks with a massive stroke or heart attack he may not be able to report back here, for obvious reasons.Seems to me that the medical equipment was left behind as a gift, after US- Forces have left Vietnam.

World class Hospitals are located in BKK or Pattaya and not in Nakhon Nowhere.

Had some occasional encounters with Government-Hospitals over the years. Staff is friendly, the "Doctors" have about the same medical qualifications as I have. (I studied medicine for 3 semesters, no more ).

Main Problem: Most Farang Isaan-Dwellers live hours away from a "world class hospital." Worst of it all: Even with the best health insurance that money can buy or 20 million Bht in a Bank-Account, what does it help, if Mr. Farang is declared "death on arrival" by the time he reaches a "word class-hospital".

Most people die while hospitalized, with all the ramifications that are to follow. Farangs have a tendency to believe (or hope), that they will die on the spot.

The odds's are dramatically in disfavor of the Farang, hoping for a fast "Exit".

Have I ruined someones Day? Hope not !

" Live every day as it were your last day, because sometime in the future, it will be your last day". (with or without health insurance.smile.png

Cheers.

You actually made my day. I've never laughed at so many inaccuracies in one post. Thanks. 

• Like 1

The problem isn't that in the sticks hospitals , they can manage major traumas, such as heart attacks etc, They can and do, the main reason for DOA is quite simply the education of Thai's that all situations require smelling salts and a shake! or a stand around and discuss. meaning your dead before you are dead. The human body will do everything it can to survive, but, you need to make sure the people living around you are aware of what they need to do if you have a medical condition, plus you should train them in between waiting for your next delivery of ice cold 'Chang'. Plus before you go to the private hospital and cough up 30-40,000baht, go to your local clinic see if they have a defib machine, if not spent the money and buy them one. They will put a gold label on it and you will be remembered when you are gone!

Edited by phetpeter
  • Confused 1

On 4/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Private hospitals are only better in the sense you can build a closer relationship with the doctor.

Not completely true - as any honest doctor in a government hospital would tell you.  Private hospitals, with equivalent doctors, most often have no long or multi-month queue to wait; and for some things this could be a life and death difference.  

I was involved with a young Thai citizen who was told heart surgery at Queen Sirikit would be a 6 month wait. Doctors said the kid would not survive 6 months. Surgery eventually done at government heart center in Bangkok on emergency basis.

On 23.4.2018 at 9:24 AM, puchooay said:

You actually made my day. I've never laughed at so many inaccuracies in one post. Thanks. 

Actually everything he said is correct

My GFs father had a stroke, at the small provincial hospital they couldn't treat him properly, so he had to be brought to the city 2 hours away. He would have suffered from far less damage if he had lived close to a hospital in the city. If there is no hospital near you that can treat you properly any health insurance in this would would not help you. My GF is now planning to move her parents somewhere close to a city, so if such an emergency happens again they are near a competent hospital.

Actually that's something that especially the older people - who have a higher risk of something happening - here should keep in mind when they think about living somewhere in the sticks.

When i went to the military government hospital here in Udon because my ear hurt i paid 50THB for the doctor and 350THB for antibiotics and ear drops, if you compare that with a minimum 800THB doctors fee that some private hospitals charge it was very cheap. But might be that i got a discount on the doctors fee because my GF works there.

Edited by jackdd

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

Actually everything he said is correct

My GFs father had a stroke, at the small provincial hospital they couldn't treat him properly, so he had to be brought to the city 2 hours away. He would have suffered from far less damage if he had lived close to a hospital in the city. If there is no hospital near you that can treat you properly any health insurance in this would would not help you. My GF is now planning to move her parents somewhere close to a city, so if such an emergency happens again they are near a competent hospital.

Actually that's something that especially the older people - who have a higher risk of something happening - here should keep in mind when they think about living somewhere in the sticks.

When i went to the military government hospital here in Udon because my ear hurt i paid 50THB for the doctor and 350THB for antibiotics and ear drops, if you compare that with a minimum 800THB doctors fee that some private hospitals charge it was very cheap. But might be that i got a discount on the doctors fee because my GF works there.

Please explain how that one incident can make everthing true? 

14 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Please explain how that one incident can make everthing true? 

Well, we have at least 2 independent persons who seem to have experienced a similar thing at the small provincial hospitals

How about you give some details about your experience about getting world class treatment in such provincial hospitals?

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Well, we have at least 2 independent persons who seem to have experienced a similar thing at the small provincial hospitals

How about you give some details about your experience about getting world class treatment in such provincial hospitals?

I havs been in a provincial hospital 3 time in the past 10 years. I have had surgery 3 times, one time under general anesthetic. Very good service. Went in sick and came out better. The hospital did exactly what they are supposed to do. 

To say that the only decent hospitals are i BKK or Pattaya is simply bullshit. 

One thing to remember. When doctors graduate they get a placement in a hospital. They don't choose where they are going. So, a doctor from BKK could well end up in a provincial hospital. In fact when I was last in Buriram provincial hospital my doctor was from Bangkok. On the flip side BKK hospitals will have doctors from the provinces. 

Khon Kaen hospital, one of the best heart hospitals in Thailand is where? BKK? No. Pataya? No. 

See what I mean now? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I havs been in a provincial hospital 3 time in the past 10 years. I have had surgery 3 times, one time under general anesthetic. Very good service. Went in sick and came out better. The hospital did exactly what they are supposed to do. 

To say that the only decent hospitals are i BKK or Pattaya is simply bullshit. 

One thing to remember. When doctors graduate they get a placement in a hospital. They don't choose where they are going. So, a doctor from BKK could well end up in a provincial hospital. In fact when I was last in Buriram provincial hospital my doctor was from Bangkok. On the flip side BKK hospitals will have doctors from the provinces. 

Khon Kaen hospital, one of the best heart hospitals in Thailand is where? BKK? No. Pataya? No. 

See what I mean now? 

Khon Kaen is obviously a big city, not somewhere in the sticks or somewhere in the no where, you also have a Bangkok Hospital there and what not. But now imagine you live somewhere in the sticks in let's say Kalasin, then it might very well be you are 3 hours away from Khon Kaen and before you can get proper treatment, that's the situation that happened to my GFs dad.

Have you ever been to a Hospital outside of the city? At these hospitals it can very well be that their only X-Ray is broken for a month before they get it fixed

After doctors graduate they get told where they have to go, but that's only for a few years, after that they can choose, and they can pay money if they don't want to do this. So some doctors who are offered a well paying job at a private hospital after they graduated just choose to pay the money.

35 minutes ago, puchooay said:

See what I mean now? 

Khon Kaen Hospital isn't a 'heart hospital'.  I think you are referring to Queen Sirikit Heart Hospital located next to Srinagarind Hospital.  (KKU)

Terry