Singer Appeals Child Prostitution Conviction

geovalin

Khmer Times / Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

A 37-year-old former singer at a karaoke video production company told the Appeals Court yesterday morning that she was wrongly convicted of procuring an underage girl for prostitution, saying the case against her had been concocted by the girl’s mother. Ou Reaskmey, who had been working for several karaoke production companies in Phnom Penh before her arrest in 2014, made headlines for allegedly selling the virginity of a young girl she had promised to make famous.

“I would like to ask the Appeals Court to drop the charges against me and release me,” she told presiding judge Phlong Samnang yesterday. The former singer said the case was fabricated by the 14-year-old girl’s mother who was angry about loaning her a bracelet in December 2013. She said she borrowed the $2,000 bracelet from the girl’s mother for video shoot and in exchange she promised to teach the girl how to sing like a professional.

source: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21845/singer-appeals-child-prostitution-conviction/