Advice On The Type Of Visa is Best For My Situation

Hi I have spent some time reading the forum and the helpful pinned posts, as well as information on the Thai embassy website and I am no nearer to figuring out what type of visa will be best for my situation. I will try to provide as much information as possible and I would kindly appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction,

For clarity I have been to Thailand twice on the 30 day visa exemption and my nationality is Irish and I am late 30's, I have not overstayed or had any problems of that nature.

In June I will travel to Thailand and would like to stay as long as possible with a view to getting a marriage visa in Jan 2017 when I marry my Thai girlfriend.

From what I can gather, The 1 Year NEV would be ideal, but there seems to be a lot of options in relation to the reason you may require the visa and this is where I am confused.

Some further information on my personal circumstances;

I would like to open a businenss, most likely some type of bar with my Thai girlfriend and can show around 500,000 B on a statement. Initially I thought there might be a visa for this type of situation, but I can't see any visa types which cover this. Ideally I would like to work in the bar in the visa allows, otherwise this is not a big problem.

Also I would be receiving around 55,000 B monthly income from work not performed in Thailand.

I am also open to the idea of studying Thai in order to obtain a study visa if this is an easier alternative to get a 1 Year NEV.

I would kindly appreciate some initial direction as I don't want to involve a lawyer without knowing exactly what I require.

Many thanks

Assume you are talking 1 year non immigrant O visa (which can be obtained after marriage - not before for your reasons). This is an alternative to one year marriage extension of stay for those who travel frequently or can not meet the financial conditions required for extension of stay (male have financial requirement even if married).

Working in a bar is not that easy to do legally and for what you outline probably would not fly.

Perhaps Thai study could be an option this year - and serve to help you as well as provide visa stay.

• Like 1

Assume you are talking 1 year non immigrant O visa (which can be obtained after marriage - not before for your reasons). This is an alternative to one year marriage extension of stay for those who travel frequently or can not meet the financial conditions required for extension of stay (male have financial requirement even if married).

Working in a bar is not that easy to do legally and for what you outline probably would not fly.

Perhaps Thai study could be an option this year - and serve to help you as well as provide visa stay.

Thanks for your reply. The O visa, after marriage is something down the line for 2017. I dont have to work in a bar, but I would like to start or buy a business which may or may not be a bar and I am also wondering if there is a visa that covers this, maybe an investment visa ?

Do you have any further information on the study visa, perhaps I will look into this more.

what is a 1 year NEV

you would be best to apply for a metv( multi entry tourist visa) from your home country, get the visa as close to entering Thailand as possible, this will give you a 60 day permission to stay stamp on each entry,

if you get a fresh entry/ stamp the day before expiry of the actual visa ( 6 months validity) and then extend this last entry for 60 days, (visit Thai wife) at local immigration office( 1,900 baht) you will get close to 10 months, taking you to April 2017.

You would then be able to travel to Savannkhet Lao and obtain a 1 year multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa, which would give you 90 days permission to stay stamps on entry, and with extension would give you 17 months in Thailand

re- the bar forget it, and no chance of working there if you ignore my advice, its hard to start a business in Thailand, the best bet would be to seek employment if the 55,000 baht a month is not enough to live on.

all the best in Thailand, but please read and re-read threads on here to gain some (chair gained) experience of life in Thailand.

• Like 1

There is no visa which will meet your needs.

The best you can hope for is an METV (multiple entry tourist visa) obtained from the Thai Embassy in London or the Consulate in Ireland. The visa is only valid for 6 months not one year.

You should undertake a good deal of research and due diligence before investing in a "bar" with a Thai G/F.

To work in Thailand requires that you are employed by a Thai Company, and have a "B" visa and work permit.

To obtain an Education visa requires that you sign up with a school and pay their fees. They in turn will provide the paperwork necessary to apply for the visa which is likely to be a single entry 90 day visa. Staying beyond 90 days requires "extensions of stay" obtained, again with paperwork supplied by the school.. A minimum of 8 hours study/week over 4 days week is required for each 90 day extension.

• Like 2

If you have extensive prior experience in the hospitality business, you could consider trying to work in "bars", possibly working for one of the 5-star hotels. They require qualifications plus experience, but will readily employ those who qualify. With such experience, investing in such a business might also make sense, but Thailand is incredibly competitive in this area. Most foreigners who put money into beer bars lose it. What is your employment record back home? Look to leverage your prior experience.

If you have extensive prior experience in the hospitality business, you could consider trying to work in "bars", possibly working for one of the 5-star hotels. They require qualifications plus experience, but will readily employ those who qualify. With such experience, investing in such a business might also make sense, but Thailand is incredibly competitive in this area. Most foreigners who put money into beer bars lose it. What is your employment record back home? Look to leverage your prior experience.

Yes I have extensive hospitality experience, over 10 years, but I left this nearly 3 years ago to work in IT: I now to a lot of IT freelance work onlime which will be my income. My Thai GF and her family have very successful bars.

Also another peice of information if I may, I am actually resident in Germany and work here with all the legal paperwork. I presume it would best to apply for the METV in Germany,

Yes I have extensive hospitality experience, over 10 years, but I left this nearly 3 years ago to work in IT: I now to a lot of IT freelance work onlime which will be my income. My Thai GF and her family have very successful bars.

Also another peice of information if I may, I am actually resident in Germany and work here with all the legal paperwork. I presume it would best to apply for the METV in Germany,

You can apply if you are legally resident in Germany.

Be aware that "IT" freelance work will never qualify for a visa or work permit in Thailand. Many consider such work to be "illegal" in the context of Thailand's labour laws.

each permission to stay entry entry stamp on a METV can be extended for 30 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) once married all entries , visa exempt (15 or 30 days), tourist visa (60 day stamps)and non imm (90 day stamps) can be extended by 60 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) non imm 'o' only can be extended for one year, financial requirements are required.

You should be able to obtain a work permit on a ' married' non imm 'o' visa or a 'married' yearly extension, a non imm 'b' is not required, this is should you find suitable employment that would entitle you to a work permit

Edited by steve187

each permission to stay entry entry stamp on a METV can be extended for 30 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) once married all entries , visa exempt (15 or 30 days), tourist visa (60 day stamps)and non imm (90 day stamps) can be extended by 60 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) non imm 'o' only can be extended for one year, financial requirements are required,

Extending visa exempt and tourist visas does not require a person to be married.

You also seem to be confused about non imm "O" visas all of which can be extended by on year if requirements can be met.

I am not being rude here OP but if you have only been here twice do not I repeat do not consider opening a bar, You may have been in the hospitality business in the west but things are a lot different here

Also marrying a Thai girl after being here twice?

Again not being rude but don't fall into the trap that many others have here in opening a bar

• Like 2

each permission to stay entry entry stamp on a METV can be extended for 30 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) once married all entries , visa exempt (15 or 30 days), tourist visa (60 day stamps)and non imm (90 day stamps) can be extended by 60 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) non imm 'o' only can be extended for one year, financial requirements are required,

Extending visa exempt and tourist visas does not require a person to be married.

You also seem to be confused about non imm "O" visas all of which can be extended by on year if requirements can be met.

the above reply was in response to op's post quote '' Am I right in assuming the METV can cannot be extended inside Thailand, I woiuld have to do visa run right ?'' quote

I'm not confused about non imm 'o' visa's i stated he could extend by one year all 90 day permission to stay stamps, issued against that visa.( non imm 'o's themself can not be extended, only the permission to stay issued against that visa can be extended)

I didn't mention for the purpose of retirement, as it would be off topic as he is only in his 30's

the above reply was in response to op's post quote '' Am I right in assuming the METV can cannot be extended inside Thailand, I woiuld have to do visa run right ?'' quote

I'm not confused about non imm 'o' visa's i stated he could extend by one year all 90 day permission to stay stamps, issued against that visa.( non imm 'o's themself can not be extended, only the permission to stay issued against that visa can be extended)

I didn't mention for the purpose of retirement, as it would be off topic as he is only in his 30's

"once married all entries , visa exempt (15 or 30 days), tourist visa (60 day stamps)and non imm (90 day stamps) can be extended by 60 days at local immigration office (1,900 baht) non imm 'o' only can be extended for one year, financial requirements are required,"

This appears to be a confused mishmash.

O visas come in two versions, single or multiple entry. Either version can be extended for one year if requirements are met.

60 day extensions (to visit a wife) are available once only on any entry.

I would strongly suggest you to live in Thailand for a few months before you start to invest anything. And your "Bar" Idea is really the number one flop idea... nearly all Bars who are running longer then two years are hobbies of some wealthy retirees to keep their wife busy...

• As said your best option is the METV which, with planning, can give you a total stay of almost 9 months. After that, if you get married, you can get a non 'O' visa from a Thai embassy in a neighbouring country.
  • An ED visa is an option, but authorities are cracking down on people using them as a way to stay here long term so you should only consider this option if you plan to attend classes.
  • There is nothing stopping you financing a bar but you will not be able to legally work in it. I wouldn't invest any money I wasn't prepared to lose in a business like this.
  • If your 55k income is a passive income you've nothing to be concerned about. However, the fact that you are physically in Thailand means that you cannot, legally, work/operate a business even if it's online. As it stands the authorities tolerate online work and will leave you alone but the advice is to keep a low profile.

Thailand isn't set up for, or welcoming of, foreigners wanting to start and work in small businesses. I suggest you live here and find your feet before committing. If you are serious about living here then learn the language as quickly as you can as having Thai friends and contacts will open up a lot more doors and opportunities in the future.

This has been very helpful as well as other posts. So METV itself is valid for 6 months and I can stay for at least 2 months at a time with possibility of extending by 30 days from what I gather, so I am not entirely sure how I can get to the 9 month stage unless of course when the 6 month visa expires I get the 30 day visa extension although I can look more into this as the information provided so far has I feel shed a lot of light on the subject and I know what to do next.

Now the only thing which concerns me looking at the requirements for the visa is 2 things regarding hotels:

"Hotel bookings in Thailand or invitation letter for visa purposes"

"Reservation for the entire stay or confirmed address in Thailand"

Surely you cannot be expected to book a hotel for an entire 3 months on a multi entry visa.

On a personal level I find the information across the various Thai consulates and embassies in Germany very inconsistent and patchy compared to other visas I applied for. There is not a very clear step by step by process.

• As said your best option is the METV which, with planning, can give you a total stay of almost 9 months. After that, if you get married, you can get a non 'O' visa from a Thai embassy in a neighbouring country.
  • An ED visa is an option, but authorities are cracking down on people using them as a way to stay here long term so you should only consider this option if you plan to attend classes.
  • There is nothing stopping you financing a bar but you will not be able to legally work in it. I wouldn't invest any money I wasn't prepared to lose in a business like this.
  • If your 55k income is a passive income you've nothing to be concerned about. However, the fact that you are physically in Thailand means that you cannot, legally, work/operate a business even if it's online. As it stands the authorities tolerate online work and will leave you alone but the advice is to keep a low profile.

Thailand isn't set up for, or welcoming of, foreigners wanting to start and work in small businesses. I suggest you live here and find your feet before committing. If you are serious about living here then learn the language as quickly as you can as having Thai friends and contacts will open up a lot more doors and opportunities in the future.

This has been very helpful as well as other posts. So METV itself is valid for 6 months and I can stay for at least 2 months at a time with possibility of extending by 30 days from what I gather, so I am not entirely sure how I can get to the 9 month stage unless of course when the 6 month visa expires I get the 30 day visa extension although I can look more into this as the information provided so far has I feel shed a lot of light on the subject and I know what to do next.

Now the only thing which concerns me looking at the requirements for the visa is 2 things regarding hotels:

Surely you cannot be expected to book a hotel for an entire 3 months on a multi entry visa.

On a personal level I find the information across the various Thai consulates and embassies in Germany very inconsistent and patchy compared to other visas I applied for. There is not a very clear step by step by process.

You could of course try the simple tactic of talking to the Embassy (there is only one in Germany) or the Consulates, I am sure they will explain their requirements in a step by step fashion.

• Like 1

You could of course try the simple tactic of talking to the Embassy (there is only one in Germany) or the Consulates, I am sure they will explain their requirements in a step by step fashion.

I could yes, and it is my intention to but the vast majority of the time its more beneficial to be armed with as much information and facts as possible before speaking to embassies, as sometimes they may not always be as helpful as you require or as forthcoming with information. Some are and some are not from my own personal experience.

• The METV is valid for 6 months from the issue date. There will be an 'enter before' date printed on the visa which is the last day you can use the visa.
  • You can enter once or multiple times on or before the 'enter before' date.
  • Every time you enter you are granted a permit to stay for 60 days, which can be extended, once per entry, for 30 days (1,900 baht).
  • At the end of 60/90 days you must exit. You can immediately re-enter as long as it's on or before the 'enter before' date.
  • If you were to make your last entry on or close to the 'enter before' date you'll be granted a new 60 day stay even though the visa will expire whilst you're in the country, This final permit to stay can also be extended by 30 days.
  • To maximise the time you can stay you should buy the visa as close to your first entry to Thailand as you can. If you then make a final entry as close to the 'enter before' date you can get the best part of 9 months from the visa and one 30 day extension of stay.

Your girlfriend can write an invitation letter. If possible include a copy of her ID.

• Like 1

OP above you have excellent advice. Why not take your time. Many people are legally here using tourist visas. Difficult for very long term but manageable for some time. An METV and later setv,s maybe some visa exempt stamps. Extend etc.

No need to rush into bar lease or marriage. Bars can be a noose. Easy to get into, impossible to get out. Your friend my be genuine but too many horror stories here that involve finance and farang. BTW where would you hope to open a bar.

• Like 2

OP above you have excellent advice. Why not take your time. Many people are legally here using tourist visas. Difficult for very long term but manageable for some time. An METV and later setv,s maybe some visa exempt stamps. Extend etc.

No need to rush into bar lease or marriage. Bars can be a noose. Easy to get into, impossible to get out. Your friend my be genuine but too many horror stories here that involve finance and farang. BTW where would you hope to open a bar.

Thank you, yes excellent advice. I have a very clear picture now of where I am going in terms of the visa. Thinking of opening a small bar or other business in Patong.

Its not only bars that can be a noose, marriage can as well, so neither is to be rushed into quicky, i would make full use of a METV and look and think if Thailand is for you, you are young, so plenty of time. I ish i had found Thailand when i was younger, but would it have been the wisest move, to have settled in Thailand so young.

• Like 1

Thank you, yes excellent advice. I have a very clear picture now of where I am going in terms of the visa. Thinking of opening a small bar or other business in Patong.

What a good idea !

Small bars/businesses in Patong are closing down in numbers so there are many overpriced bargains to choose from.

Do not forget that if you wish to work in the bar/business an appropriate visa and a work permit are required.

need for wp has already been mentioned. Also op stated he did not necessarily need to work in bar. Several posts have already pointed to dangers of bars. Mine included. Anything else to add?

Yes its true. I wanted to provide as much information as possible whilst also trying not to reveal too many personal details. I am thankful that the members have chosen to warn me of the dangers and that this type of community spirit exists, although I will not go into this blindly and I have indeed stated that the business may not even be a bar at all.

need for wp has already been mentioned. Also op stated he did not necessarily need to work in bar. Several posts have already pointed to dangers of bars. Mine included. Anything else to add?

Yes its true. I wanted to provide as much information as possible whilst also trying not to reveal too many personal details. I am thankful that the members have chosen to warn me of the dangers and that this type of community spirit exists, although I will not go into this blindly and I have indeed stated that the business may not even be a bar at all.

That is fine, and I wish you luck. I would repeat my recommendation: whether looking to work or invest, do it where your prior experience gives you an edge. With a bar in Patong, at least some of the competition are completely clueless. Another warning: spending a lot of time in a bar you own can easily lead to alcohol dependency. I have seen many intelligent individuals self destruct here in just this manner.

Good advice britTim.

Best to have a bar if you don't drink.

Know of several from bkk , pattaya , koh Chang , phuket etc etc. Problem with any bar you need to NETWORK with customers. Many farang here including myself wish to have good chat in bar. Xpat bar like that needs owner that is on hand. They tend to drink a lot. Big pitfall.