Bars made to close.

chowny77

Yesterday was the first time in a long while since I have driven near the water front area to go to a little restaurant for my wife's birthday. When we had finished eating with friends I suggested we use one of the little bars that is a few shops further down for a drink before going home. Both of them were totally shut. It was then that I realised that the temple was on the opposite side of the road of one of the bars. Well it looks like the good general has got his wish and now two bars that are not overly noisy or has problems have had to close because of his ruling. I am sure the people who own these bars are full of happiness that he has managed to deliver to them (Joking)! Talk about just taking someones business and form of making income away. These bars have been operating for at least 10+ yrs since I have lived here and all gone up in a puff of smoke. I hope they had a plan B.

You know what? Now that I think about it, this almost exact same thing happened to a bar I used to enjoy after work every Friday. Also along the river. I remember going there one day and finding it closed. It doubled as the owner's home so I was able to ask her what happened. Her response was "military". This was a couple years ago during the yellow shirt protests and as far as I know it's been closed since. There was a temple nearby.

You know what? Now that I think about it, this almost exact same thing happened to a bar I used to enjoy after work every Friday. Also along the river. I remember going there one day and finding it closed. It doubled as the owner's home so I was able to ask her what happened. Her response was "military". This was a couple years ago during the yellow shirt protests and as far as I know it's been closed since. There was a temple nearby.

Like rats ....youre never far from a temple to stupidity here

You never know when a ruling or law in this land is enacted that will have a major impact on your life. If given a year to make changes would still be bad but perhaps acceptable here however it is an overnight event and no time to plan. Can not count on anything here !

Edited by ttthailand

You never know when a ruling or law in this land is enacted that will have a major impact on your life. If given a year to make changes would still be bad but perhaps acceptable here however it is an overnight event and no time to plan. Can not count on anything here !

That said, the OP only saw that the bars were closed, and is only guessing why.

I actually just asked my wife if she had seen any of the owners of the two bars as one of the bars also run a restaurant on the other end of town. She said she had and had asked about their bar being closed on the night in question. As I had thought it was because of the ruling about proximity to the temple and a school about 300 meters away. So there we have it, the ruling is now being enforced. Bravo to another plan to bring happiness to the people.

Once again the ugly head of religion rears its smug face to tell you what's right and wrong!

Yes, the world would be so much better with more bars and fewer temples.

The world would be so much better if people stopped believing in fantasy, never seen a bar tell a temple to shutdown for its belief

Edited by kannot

I actually just asked my wife if she had seen any of the owners of the two bars as one of the bars also run a restaurant on the other end of town. She said she had and had asked about their bar being closed on the night in question. As I had thought it was because of the ruling about proximity to the temple and a school about 300 meters away. So there we have it, the ruling is now being enforced. Bravo to another plan to bring happiness to the people.

Well I just asked my wife and she said they went broke.

Once again the ugly head of religion rears its smug face to tell you what's right and wrong!

The world would be so much better if people stopped believing in fantasy, never seen a bar tell a temple to shutdown for its belief

People believe in all manner of fantasy.

So you think temples are telling bars to close down?

Indirectly, yes. The temples tell it to the government and the government tells it to the bars.

The names of the bars nor the restaurant has been mentioned yet, but your wife knows which bars the OP is talking about and that they went broke.coffee1.gif

Why you not go trolling elsewhere.

The names of the bars nor the restaurant has been mentioned yet, but your wife knows which bars the OP is talking about and that they went broke.coffee1.gif

Why you not go trolling elsewhere.

Why you no sense of humor?

Indirectly, yes. The temples tell it to the government and the government tells it to the bars.

So it could be the people telling the temples, in which case it's what the people want, yes?

So it could be the people telling the temples, in which case it's what the people want, yes?

I don't think that the people tell the temples because the majority of Thai people is alcoholic.

I don't think that the people tell the temples because the majority of Thai people is alcoholic.

While I think it fair to say the Thais you come in contact hanging around in crappy bars likely are, that simply has not been my experience.

While I think it fair to say the Thais you come in contact hanging around in crappy bars likely are, that simply has not been my experience.

Most probably because you don't spend much time in Thailand smile.png

Most probably because you don't spend much time in Thailand smile.png

Admittedly I don't spend so much time in crappy bars full of alcoholics that I would believe (as you do) that the majority of Thais are alcoholic.

You should really try to get out more.

You are completely wrong. Even in the " good old days" I met some NGOs who were upcountry doing some work on early deaths in rural women of a certain age..alcohol. Not saying it's endemic but it was a problem 30 years ago, probably bigger now..

Alcohol use is a problem in Thailand..thought that was common knowledge.

You are completely wrong. Even in the " good old days" I met some NGOs who were upcountry doing some work on early deaths in rural women of a certain age..alcohol. Not saying it's endemic but it was a problem 30 years ago, probably bigger now..

Completely wrong indeed. You know more about my experience than I do?

I never claimed alcohol was not a problem, but the idea that the majority of Thais are alcoholic is ridiculous.

So if you or the other nut-sack making that claim have nothing more to back it up than your own experience I'll go with my own experience.

I never claimed alcohol was not a problem, but the idea that the majority of Thais are alcoholic is ridiculous.

So if you or the other nut-sack making that claim have nothing more to back it up than your own experience I'll go with my own experience.

Of course that statement is ridiculous but your initial reply of bars etc...standard reply was off the mark. Don't need to insult to make a point. It is a big issue..alcohol however you wish to frame it.

Yes but most likely not directly.

Of course that statement is ridiculous but your initial reply of bars etc...standard reply was off the mark. Don't need to insult to make a point. It is a big issue..alcohol however you wish to frame it.

Really? You state that I'm completely wrong in one post and admit I am right in the next. Have you even read the thread?

What "initial reply of bars etc...standard reply was off the mark."?

Really? You state that I'm completely wrong in one post and admit I am right in the next. Have you even read the thread?

Mogan does the "quote" button not work for you its really hard to read any replies like this?

Mogan does the "quote" button not work for you its really hard to read any replies like this?

I don't know, how is it supposed to work?