Bang for your buck

oval

Dear Thaivisa motorcycle enthusiasts.

I would like to know which bike you believe offers the most bang for your buck, both new and used, here in the land of smiles.

I am a foolish man and like to ride like a bit of a hooligan, and am in the market for a bike. I have not much money, so want to be able to go as fast as possible for as cheap as possible. And a little reliability wouldn't go astray. What say you?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cbr400

But a minefield of ancient parts, dodgy parts, and dodgy books. 20 yr old bikes that are designed to rev high, ridden and maintained by somchai.

NSR150SP.

there was a shop in Khon Kaen with a fleet of New TZR150's that were being sold. I think a poster bought one for 60k baht. Search for the thread and info.

A new 2-stroker like that, put the other 40 k into mods. You'd be looking at a fast bike.

Used Ninja 300's will be hitting that price soon.

Good luck.

As has already been said in post #8, Honda CBR250R . You will get a mint one that is a couple of years old for well under 100K and leave enough money for a decent helmet, jackets and gloves.

A friend of mine bought a perfect one for 70k recently and another friend bought a good (not perfect, but good) for under 55k.

They are sporty looking, reliable, cheap to service and go as fast as any sane person wants to go on Thailand roads.

Edited by technologybytes

This is not "crotch rocket" material but if you don't mind the "retro" look have a look at the "Stallion" motorcycles. a twin cylinder. 4 stroke. 400cc version. New for around 100,000 Baht. Made in Thailand.

I haven't seen the bigger version personally but have seen the smaller ones. They are becoming "trendy here at the moment.

I found this : http://www.splmotor.co.th/p_29309_163342_474985_CT400.htm

and this : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846620-stallions-400cc-any-good/

There are other sites I have seen. but they are all in Thai too.

Interesting, and different, parts should be cheap and a new bike will have some sort of service and warranty with it you would think.

I notice a lack of recommendations for Keeway and Platinum......I wonder why?

If you stick with any of the bigger 4 names like Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki you won't go wrong, easy repairs, cheap, reliable. CBR300 is nice, I believe Honda is bringing out a 350 version this year. (Can't paste the link but check out New CBR350RR on Google) some interesting videos on YouTube.

Just my two baht,

When it comes to new.......... if you are looking for a bike like the Honday CBR, clutch any thing over 150 CC, (78,000) will cost you over a 100,000 Baht, and I will stick my neck out say that includes, Susuki, Kawasaki, Honda, The 250 CC Honda New, I believe is 125,000.

Before people get all bent out of shape I'm talking NEW! If you want something that looks like the above bikes and want to spend less than 100,000 you got to buy one of those Chinese made bikes, forgot their name?

Not I'm not trolling - genuinely curious about which bike offers the best bang for buck.

New I imagine something like the Raider or Exciter 150, at around 60k, are probably quick and cheap. Or the Kawa z250sl, although they look small and cost double.

The used CBR250 is cheap by all accounts. Is that because they're common, or because they're a bit sluggish?

One of the old two strokes like the Honda NSR 150's Kawasaki's KRR's and Yamaha TZR & TZM 150's will give you most thrills and will put a smile on your face.

Good examples can be found between 20 and 50K

This.

I've got 2 NSRs, built 1 out of the 2.

30k all up + quite a bit of work (done myself) have 1 cracker and 1 hack for spares.

Out runs stock 4T 300s in accel and top speed and it only has a pipe, could make it a lot faster.

IMO there is no better bang for buck.

if you want economy..... save some money... and not care about speed on the highway so much.... a Honda Wave 100 is nice...

For a bit more oomph going up hills and smaller mountains in the north west, and a bit more speed.... . a Honda Wave 125 would do the trick. It's a nice underbone....

Sorry don't mean to hijack, but could anyone recommend best Scooter with a bit of power for two up, to ride around town and also do some weekend away trips on. . I.e is the Forza any good for this. MAny thanks.

Yes it is , I took the TW to Nan on the Forza , probably the best day's riding I have ever had . Ok the good weather helps. The Enfield in England was fun but the weather mostly wasn;t.

Sorry don't mean to hijack, but could anyone recommend best Scooter with a bit of power for two up, to ride around town and also do some weekend away trips on. . I.e is the Forza any good for this. MAny thanks.

Yes it is , I took the TW to Nan on the Forza , probably the best day's riding I have ever had . Ok the good weather helps. The Enfield in England was fun but the weather mostly wasn;t.

Just a opinion and thought? The size of the Forza would one still consider it a "scooter" a scooter in my book would be maybe a Honda Click 125, or even a PCX-150. What isn't a Forza 300C.C.?