Power transformer explosion blamed for Phuket Immigration queues

snoop1130

Power transformer explosion blamed for Phuket Immigration queues
Supatra Sutham

post-249866-0-98016400-1456487796_thumb.
The explosion of a power transformer in Patong has been blamed for worsening the queues at the main Immigration Office in Phuket Town.

PHUKET: -- The long queues at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town during the past two days are the result of a power transformer forcing the temporary closure of the Immigration office in Patong, says Phuket’s Immigration chief.

“People who normally would go to the Patong branch are coming here instead, and this is adding to our normal workload, so the downstairs area is now a little crowded,” Pol Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij, Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, told The Phuket News today (Feb 26).

The downstairs office at the two-story building in Phuket Town specifically handles procedures for short-term visitors, such as re-entry stamps, 90-day reporting and submitting accommodation references, while foreigners on long-term visits are now processed separately on the upper floor.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/power-transformer-explosion-blamed-for-phuket-immigration-queues-56386.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-26

The downstairs office at the two-story building in Phuket Town specifically handles procedures for short-term visitors, such as re-entry stamps, 90-day reporting and submitting accommodation references

Aha. It's the short term visitors who all need re-entry permits, report every 3 months and get residency certificates. Who knew?

I went to the Patong office on Thursday and, yes, it was closed due to this electrical problem and of course yesterday at Phuket Town was horrible, but there again, it always is. I didn't really notice any difference.

I dropped my friend at the Patong office before realising there was a problem and drove to the PEA office to pay the electricity bill. And what happened when I got there? They'd had a power cut!

So a totally wasted trip to Patong.

In The US a transformer blows out and the power people are there in about 30 to 50 minuets with a replacement.I LOS first they have to order a $5,000 transformer for the requested price of $15,000 and then decide who gets what share of the overage. This might take a while.