Bang Ku Underpass construction 'well ahead of schedule', expected completion in September 2017: engi

rooster59

Bang Ku Underpass construction 'well ahead of schedule', expected completion in September 2017: engineer

Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-247607-0-31563200-1456534107_thumb.

Motorists travelling northbound (from bottom left corner) on Thepkrasattri Rd must first make a u-turn on the bypass road and then can choose to use one of two single lanes, on the east and west side of the roadworks.

PHUKET: Progress for the underpass roadworks at the Bang Ku Junction at the north end of the bypass road in Koh Kaew is 'well ahead of schedule', with construction 35 per cent complete, the contractor's engineer has affirmed.

Highway Project Engineer Somkiet Yimpong of contractor Italian-Thai Development Co Ltd (Ital-Thai) gave a progress report to The Phuket News on February 26.

“On February 20, we've completed concrete walls for both phases, and have excavated about 2-3 meters as part of Phase 1. Next, we've started constructing the road [leading] inside the tunnel. Having dug out two to three meters, there is no water in the tunnel,” he confirmed.

However, Somkiet expressed some concerns about other potential delays.

“For now, I am concerned that some electric poles [on the construction site] and water pipes of the Waterworks Authority have not been relocated yet. According to the plan, both should be moved by the end of May 2016,” he said.

Somkiet went on to underline some detour delays for motorists travelling northbound on Thepkrasattri Rd, from Phuket Town.

"Motorists must now use a single lane on the right hand side of the tunnel site. When they [are heading north on Thepkrasattri Rd from Phuket Town and] reach the junction itself, they must still turn left onto the bypass road then make a u-turn in front of the Premium Outlet Mall so they can continue their journey north,” he explained.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/bang-ku-underpass-construction-well-ahead-of-schedule-expected-completion-in-september-2017-engineer-56393.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-27

2 more years of traffic nightmare - great project, great planning bah.gif

2 years? If Chalong Underpass progresses at the same rate as the contractors' other flagship project at Samkong you can add another year onto that. Then, if they start the light railway, and that's a big if, the traffic chaos might continue for many more years after that.

I know the story is about an underpass construction so hesitate to ask how many corners have been cut to reach this state of advance ?

Why do stories like this not fill me with confidence ?

Rhetorical question !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

2 years? If Chalong Underpass progresses at the same rate as the contractors' other flagship project at Samkong you can add another year onto that. Then, if they start the light railway, and that's a big if, the traffic chaos might continue for many more years after that.

Should have been an overpass at that T-junction.. Madness!

I still don't know if it is planned for the rail to go through, over or around the various tunnels.

If through, I guess one lane will be lost for vehicles.

Anyone know?

Also in an area that is heavily used at present. You think they can just go in and stop all traffic to carry out the job? Get real. Obviously you have never worked in Construction or you wouldn't give such comments. The period to complete is long agreed but Thailand does not have the experience that many countries in the West have of building underpasses in congested areas.

Edited by gandalf12

I know the story is about an underpass construction so hesitate to ask how many corners have been cut to reach this state of advance ?

Rhetorical question !

my thoughts exactly, in the west this would be good news, i dont want to be too cynical but here you wonder... was the initial project planning carried out effectively and/or how any corners have been cut...

This is far better construction progress than the ongoing horror story at Sam Kong (Tesco intersection) and the very curious Chalong Circle project. Just what is the plan, budget and progress at the latter? Never have seen the definitives on that one. Ital-Thai had problems at the Central intersection but it now seems very much OK and makes one wish that the company was the contractor at the other ones.

Rhetorical question !

Plenty of manpower, materials & heavy machinery on site is the more likely reason they are well advanced & it has been like that from day 1. Compare that to Chalong where there are very few workers & several months later still have not completed new drainage on one side of the road.

Forget this underpass as it was a wide road to begin with and was never going to be delayed. Italian Thai should have got the lot to build. Chalong tunnel will be very delayed. Now they stalled in negotiations with landowners trying to acquire land and im talking less than a metre in some parts but the greedy land owners see it as a chance to get rich.

The question remains. Why the hell do you start the drains when you havent acquired the land first????

Chalong will make the tesco underpass delays look like nothing in comparison.

Forget this underpass as it was a wide road to begin with and was never going to be delayed. Italian Thai should have got the lot to build. Chalong tunnel will be very delayed. Now they stalled in negotiations with landowners trying to acquire land and im talking less than a metre in some parts but the greedy land owners see it as a chance to get rich.

The question remains. Why the hell do you start the drains when you havent acquired the land first????

You can hardly blame the construction company for land acquisition problems.

First time I've heard about that BTW, are you sure?

Edited by stevenl

Yes. they need to acquire some small parts of private land to construct the drains. These things always drag on as locals see it as some kind of lottery once in a lifetime chance to get some big money for basically nothing.

I understand it's a few spots along Choafa west they are negotiating. Even Homepro delayed them for a long time and they only broke ground over the entrance driveway on Friday.

Remember the drain were supposed to complete in 20 days? That was nearly 3 months ago and the start date for the tunnel construction started last year.

Yes. they need to acquire some small parts of private land to construct the drains. These things always drag on as locals see it as some kind of lottery once in a lifetime chance to get some big money for basically nothing.

I understand it's a few spots along Choafa west they are negotiating. Even Homepro delayed them for a long time and they only broke ground over the entrance driveway on Friday.

Remember the drain were supposed to complete in 20 days? That was nearly 3 months ago and the start date for the tunnel construction started last year.

Thanks.

But still, can't blame the construction company for that, seems much more the local government's responsibility.

Also in an area that is heavily used at present. You think they can just go in and stop all traffic to carry out the job? Get real. Obviously you have never worked in Construction or you wouldn't give such comments. The period to complete is long agreed but Thailand does not have the experience that many countries in the West have of building underpasses in congested areas.

"Thailand does not have the experience that many countries in the West have of building underpasses in congested areas." and are too proud to ask for help or learn how other countries do it an copy the successful model. An interesting question would be to go back and see how the tender letting process was conducted and what influenced the choice of this particular apparently inexperienced or incompetent contractor. Possibly the too-common brown envelope or cake box again??????

So the guy couldn't sell his bar because the tunnel was coming, and now wants big money for a small bit of land?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/866279-now-someone-really-is-taking-the/?hl=%2Bcircle+%2Bbar

Was he seeking the bar including ownership or the bar including lease? I would presume the latter.