Phuket DOG (canine) facilities

Bob12345

Since two months I am the very happy owner of a young Labrador Retriever while living here in Phuket.

This is my first dog and I really enjoy taking walks and training my dog.

Unfortunately my moo baan near Phuket town does not have much green space so I am looking for places I can take my dog where it is not invested with unreliable soi dogs and traffic.

Who here has the golden tip of where to take your dog where she can run free and we can play fetch in Phuket?

Or what other places are recommended to visit with a dog?

One place we discovered ourselves already: Phuket Dog School & Hotel (search for their facebook page).

They have facilities to leave your dog overnight (prices ranging from 200 baht per night for tiny dogs in a cage/crate to 550 baht per night for a 35+kg dog in an AC room) and offer dog training.

But what i enjoy the most: the dog swimming pool.

They have a salt-water swimming pool for dogs and their owners (or you let a staff member go in with your dog) for some nice exercise. Prices ranging from 300-600 baht per time, but it becomes cheaper with promotions or taking a membership card, depending on the size of the dog and how hairy the dog is (as they also wash and dry your dog for you).

Edited by Bob12345

Most owners of gentle dogs go to the beach and swim in the free salt water.

maybe 1 out of 30 thais will get scared and scream(what a weird thing that some thais get scared of a small dogs yet 2mins later they do wheelies with 2cm wide tires on a never serviced bike and no helmet)

Most tourists enjoy the dogs, and dogs play together.

Just bring a bag for the poop, then theres no reason for anyone to complain as you are cleaner than smokers.

Perfect, thanks both of you for your replies.

We went in the sea before but the small waves made swimming difficult for my dog (waves go over her head as she keeps her nose just above the water level) but now that shebecame more comfortable in the water i will check it out again.

Took the dog for a swim there, was ok and maybe more fun for him if there were some other dogs there at the time, will stick to the beach i think, a lot more interesting for the dog and myself!

Slightly off topic, I am based in Thalang, and im looking into getting a puppy. I am interested in doing a bit of research first such as reputable vets etc. Does anybody use a vet in Thalang area and if so do you have a website so i can look at costs for boosters etc?

Thanks

Slightly off topic, I am based in Thalang, and im looking into getting a puppy. I am interested in doing a bit of research first such as reputable vets etc. Does anybody use a vet in Thalang area and if so do you have a website so i can look at costs for boosters etc?

Thanks

Not in the Thalang area, but I am making use of this clinic:

http://rtbcenter.com/?la=en

So far very happy with how they treat the animals and their prices. As mentioned by bearpolar, being a VET in Thailand is not a way to get rich quickly. So don't be afraid of hospital bills resembling those of private clinics for humans where they charge you thousands for the most minor things. Now that i check out the website myself I do notice they used google translate for the english page, lol.

We visited "Sirinat National Park" yesterday (which is at the airport, north of Nai Yang beach) and it was a fun trip. The waves were very small at certain areas which made it much easier to swim for my dog. Also the seabed was very flat so i could walk her in without a need to get fully wet.

Not many people there and no dogs roaming around, only when coming too close to the landing strip of the airport the dog got scared of the noise (while I enjoyed those huge planes flying 20 meters above the beach).

Do keep in mind that it is a national park, so we paid 100 baht entrance fee (only foreigners need to pay). Guess i will go in from the north road next time as they did not have anybody at that entrance point to collect the fees.

I do keep coming back to the dog pool also, as it is much easier for me to get my dog to exercise at the pool compared to the beach: she follows me in the water on the beach but does not swim that much in total.

Do you guys let your dog run loose on (quiet) beaches?

Edited by Bob12345

We visited "Sirinat National Park" yesterday (which is at the airport, north of Nai Yang beach) and it was a fun trip. The waves were very small at certain areas which made it much easier to swim for my dog. Also the seabed was very flat so i could walk her in without a need to get fully wet.

Not many people there and no dogs roaming around, only when coming too close to the landing strip of the airport the dog got scared of the noise (while I enjoyed those huge planes flying 20 meters above the beach).

Do keep in mind that it is a national park, so we paid 100 baht entrance fee (only foreigners need to pay). Guess i will go in from the north road next time as they did not have anybody at that entrance point to collect the fees.

I do keep coming back to the dog pool also, as it is much easier for me to get my dog to exercise at the pool compared to the beach: she follows me in the water on the beach but does not swim that much in total.

Do you guys let your dog run loose on (quiet) beaches?

I do, he's a very tame dog, loves everyone and only wants to play with other dogs, not fight but we always have his leash with us as well.