Honda HRV - looking for new car

1FinickyOne

I plan to buy a crossover this coming summer. I want an automatic transmission. My main concern about the HRV is the CVT it uses. I haven’t test driven yet, but hear it’s kind of noisy. I had a Juke, but wouldn’t get another one. The CX-3 is appealing except for the smaller cargo space. Standard feature wise, I like the Honda as well. At this point, it’s the leading contender.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the OP has 1 million baht to spend, he could get away from the rice burners and go shopping for a low mileage Volvo, VW or Skoda. Sometimes a bargain pops up because an expat is leaving - or is that just a sales pitch?

Is only a good option in you have a dealer nearby. These brands have in Thailand a very little dealer network, often only in Bangkok.

I am just coming back from Honda and tryied the HVR... It's almost good driving car... but there are too many mistakes in my opinion !

First mistake : the price is really HIGH !

2nd : The CVT gear box automatic is just really really not working good.. just like having somebody that can't hear what you are asking for... it should change gear way more faster instead of making suffuring this poor engine and making so much noise !! Incredibly disappointing compared to the Mazda CX5 gear box.

3rd : The cruise control is just DELETED, like many other cars here there is nothing to set it up really.. I Mean a dedicated screen with speed writen on so you can choose wich speed you want to drive.. and not just only show speed you are driving now !

3th: the rear views are able to be closed.. but you have to push a button for that !!!! it doesn't close while you close your car with remote key.. isn't that really stupid conception ??

otherwise it quite a good car, a bit heavy for the dimension and not really fast car from 0 to 100... Toyota Vios beat it without any worry !!

So... i'll pass on this car, maybe BRV seems to be a less ripoff.. have to try it to know the road feeling.. but no cruise control.. not manual gear box, also such a shame !

I miss too much my car that I sold before departure : Citroen C4 Picasso.. so comfy and realy smooth drive with plenty space for family, quality materials and all tech gadgets .. desperately trying to find an erzats of this kind of top notch MPV here.. but i have the feeling It won't happen soon.

Edited by seedy
language

It's not noisy it's the best cvt available It's the same as the Civic Tubo that I will try on 11 March. Still no price release for it as per phone call just revived.Bet IMHO knows though.[emoji87]

This CVT gear box is not able to handle a real acceleration, when you push the pedal to bottom.. it just start to get crazy.. Engine is noisy like hell and seems to be lost somewhere else than the road... because it takes almost 3 sec to change any gear... really bad experience, and make the engine suffuring, while a manual gear box will pampers him.. I don't understand why honda just makes cars for people who don't know how to drive.. but hey this is Thailand and it might be the best option to actually SELL cars here !

The sport mode is a little bit better.. but really disapointing in performance compared to the Mazda CX5 automatic transmission without any sport mode on.

what is PSI can you explain ?

but yes I can confirm you that while the gearbox of this hrv is trying to understand the need of speed.. the vios is already way far, I am talking about my Vios with Manual Gear Box of course...

just look on youtube : 2 tests

#testRin18: Honda HR-V (0-100 km/h: 10.9 s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS6oL9rNFGQ

VIOS (J) 0-100KMH 8 SEC!!..

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

The noise I am talking about comes from the engine.. suffuring so much, it's like torture..and has nothing to do with tires..

this CVT gear box is just horrible on my opinion and many others too... but to HRV by itself, with manual gear box could be fine to ride! unfortunalty it is not available here in LOS.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

i did not discuss moderation, i discussed that the PSI was too high which made noise and i posted a link to a thread that shows the 0-100 times of the vios being 12 seconds while the hrv is 10.5 and under depending on fuel.

Please stop harassing me, i am not discussing moderation nor moderators i am discussing the OP

The noise I am talking about comes from the engine.. suffuring so much, it's like torture..and has nothing to do with tires..

this CVT gear box is just horrible on my opinion and many others too... but to HRV by itself, with manual gear box could be fine to ride! unfortunalty it is not available here in LOS.

The cvt isnt meant to be floored. Its designed for fuel economy. I rarely floor my swift but keep my foot down hard enough to match the revs of the engine. If u wanna race thrn stick to a manual or regular auto. Note the auto vios is slower than the hrv. The hrv is actually a bit faster than the old civic with the same engine but 5 speed auto.

my rpm's stick bellow 2100 almost always and im always cutting in front of the queue and disapearing with no one in my mirrors after 5seconds.

You definately didnt drive a real HRV, maybe you mean you drove some kind of toyota car that you confused for the hrv.

Or i forgot what the engine felt like on 91. On e85 its perfect.

I am just coming back from Honda and tryied the HVR... It's almost good driving car... but there are too many mistakes in my opinion !

2nd : The CVT gear box automatic is just really really not working good.. just like having somebody that can't hear what you are asking for... it should change gear way more faster instead of making suffuring this poor engine and making so much noise !! Incredibly disappointing compared to the Mazda CX5 gear box.

3rd : The cruise control is just DELETED, like many other cars here there is nothing to set it up really.. I Mean a dedicated screen with speed writen on so you can choose wich speed you want to drive.. and not just only show speed you are driving now !

3th: the rear views are able to be closed.. but you have to push a button for that !!!! it doesn't close while you close your car with remote key.. isn't that really stupid conception ??

otherwise it quite a good car, a bit heavy for the dimension and not really fast car from 0 to 100... Toyota Vios beat it without any worry !!

So... i'll pass on this car, maybe BRV seems to be a less ripoff.. have to try it to know the road feeling.. but no cruise control.. not manual gear box, also such a shame !

I miss too much my car that I sold before departure : Citroen C4 Picasso.. so comfy and realy smooth drive with plenty space for family, quality materials and all tech gadgets .. desperately trying to find an erzats of this kind of top notch MPV here.. but i have the feeling It won't happen soon.

I agree on your 3rd point, no automatic folding is really annoying. And perhaps a it is bit expensive. But i can't understand your 2nd point...noisy? I had my HRV since july and i have driven in all kinds of road conditions in bangkok and provinces, and its completely silent. Non of my passengers have noticed any noice what so ever. I think you should take your HRV to a Honda garage, there obviously is something wrong with it.

I checked some car pro reviewers that just tell exactly the same about this gear box CVT, run away, don't buy this.. it's too much suffering !

It might suits people who just want to go from one point to another.. but DRIVING is out of reach with this gear box.. as you can't get the juice of the engine at all !

Honda has yet its dual-clutch gearbox catalog, so we are dealing with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), which is a real punishment. Thus, any acceleration, the engine up in the towers and the box as soon upshift, the occupants were a heady sound that gives the impression of having a food processor in the cockpit. A known critic for a long time and that only increased with the progress of the transmissions on the market. Beyond its near zero approval, this box also has the big disadvantage to completely annihilate the engine character. So that one comes to look for 130 hp and 155 Nm of torque. That reduces by weaklings times and winded raises. To overcome this defect, only one solution: to accelerate harder but at that time the CVT remember your good memories. In short, a vicious circle that completely strike driveability. The only good point for consumption, which proved reasonable during our test with an average of 7 l / 100 km.

I agree on your 3rd point, no automatic folding is really annoying. And perhaps a it is bit expensive. But i can't understand your 2nd point...noisy? I had my HRV since july and i have driven in all kinds of road conditions in bangkok and provinces, and its completely silent. Non of my passengers have noticed any noice what so ever. I think you should take your HRV to a Honda garage, there obviously is something wrong with it.

The obvious noise Zendo refers to must be when he floors it and it races to the redline while the speed of the car is trying its best to increase. Otherwise, there is no other noise. CVT's aren't mean't to be floored all the time. The gearbox noise would drive me insane. It's not so much an issue in larger cars with more power though. Wide open throttle just isn't necessary most of the time. My cvt swift is much nicer to drive than my 5 speed auto civic. The civic auto is just agricultural in its shifting. The cvt is way smoother and nicer around town.

The obvious noise Zendo refers to must be when he floors it and it races to the redline while the speed of the car is trying its best to increase. Otherwise, there is no other noise. CVT's aren't mean't to be floored all the time. The gearbox noise would drive me insane. It's not so much an issue in larger cars with more power though. Wide open throttle just isn't necessary most of the time. My cvt swift is much nicer to drive than my 5 speed auto civic. The civic auto is just agricultural in its shifting. The cvt is way smoother and nicer around town.

100% right... " while the speed of the car is trying its best to increase" => and it fails so incredibly bad !

So it's a car that looks like a sportive / responsive car.. but it's worst than a dead horse !

It's not noisy it's the best cvt available It's the same as the Civic Tubo that I will try on 11 March. Still no price release for it as per phone call just revived.Bet IMHO knows though.[emoji87]

This CVT gear box is not able to handle a real acceleration, when you push the pedal to bottom.. it just start to get crazy.. Engine is noisy like hell and seems to be lost somewhere else than the road... because it takes almost 3 sec to change any gear... really bad experience, and make the engine suffuring, while a manual gear box will pampers him.. I don't understand why honda just makes cars for people who don't know how to drive.. but hey this is Thailand and it might be the best option to actually SELL cars here !

The sport mode is a little bit better.. but really disapointing in performance compared to the Mazda CX5 automatic transmission without any sport mode on.

It seems to work well in the Civic Turbo the Yanks like it so do l compared to others CVT s

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, mostly not true, unless perhaps you are talking about the lowest end versions.

1) Price is not high if you compare to the competition in Thailand. Looked at the CX3 at similar price? I have, so tiny in the drivers seat that my elbows hit the side when turning (and I am not a large guy). I found nothing that was a better value here in Thailand

2nd) CVT is fine if you buy the version with paddle shifter. Around Bangkok, CVT is no issue whatsoever since there is plenty of low-end acceleration for those that like to jackrabbit start up to the next jam or stoplight. Maybe if you want to drag race on the expressway the CVT won't be ideal, but once again it does have a paddle shifter. I have never noticed any excessive noise.

3rd) cruise control in Thailand? Seriously? About 1000th on my priority list, have never used it once here. Maybe for those that really live in the sticks, but even in the US I was rarely able to use cruise for more than a few minutes before some bozo cut me off or slowed in front of me.

3th -- whatever "3th" is) Flat out wrong. Mirrors close by pressing the remote twice (hold the second time), so, yes, it can be done remotely. Mirrors then automatically unfold when started.

BRV is a cheapo version of the HRV for those on a budget, needing 7 seats and not minding a weaker engine in a larger vehicle. Very plasticky Honda City feel to it.

Overall, the HRV has been absolutely ideal for a congested area like Bangkok. Can't comment about usage in rural areas, but that's not really what the vehicle is intended for.

Closet competition for HRV with me was the new Civic, but after learning that the fold-down rear seats have been deleted for the Thai version, it has serious practicality drawbacks... and it's wider stance and turning radius are also drawbacks for tight spaces in Bangkok. CX3 is minuscule inside, Juke is a Joke for teenage girls, CRV and CX5 feel too bulky and boatlike to drive. So, given Thailand's very limited choices, HRV was the obvious winner (forgot to mention the full set of airbags, rare for "death-road" Thailand)

If I had the money, I'd buy the Mazda every time.

Sure, the HRV is just OK.. and has few problems and drivabilty is not really good. Also the CVT transmission is just absurd (but some people can get used too in order to spare fuel and money, in sacrifice to responsiveness and pleasure) and for driving in big city it's just perfect.. but forget about mountains fun drive !

But the Mazda CX5 is really a nice piece of car.. and fun to drive, plus much more efficient transmission (even it's not perfect at all), well it cost a bit more then the Honda but it' much much better on all points, can't be compared in fact.

Sure, the HRV is just OK.. and has few problems and drivabilty is not really good. Also the CVT transmission is just absurd (but some people can get used too in order to spare fuel and money, in sacrifice to responsiveness and pleasure) and for driving in big city it's just perfect.. but forget about mountains fun drive !

But the Mazda CX5 is really a nice piece of car.. and fun to drive, plus much more efficient transmission (even it's not perfect at all), well it cost a bit more then the Honda but it' much much better on all points, can't be compared in fact.

Despite the lousy cvt of the hrv, the hrv:

has a better top speed,

better 0-100 km/h,

better 80-120 km/h,

more fuel efficient,

and cheaper than the mazda 2.0 cx-5. The cx-3 is faster than both of them. source: wwm.headlightmag.com

Despite the lousy cvt of the hrv, the hrv:

has a better top speed,

better 0-100 km/h,

better 80-120 km/h,

more fuel efficient,

and cheaper than the mazda 2.0 cx-5. The cx-3 is faster than both of them. source: wwm.headlightmag.com

the tests are not done on e85 for the hrv

Also cheap plastic flies faster :)

I love my HRV. When I bought car one of the perks I wanted and salesman agreed was a manual in English.. They tell me whenever I ask that they will get one. It's now been 7 months and no manual. Can someone please tell me where I can get one!

I don't do well with hollow promises but why won't let me make a fuss

Thanks