Honda HRV - looking for new car

1FinickyOne

I just looked at a Honda HRV - I liked it - but what else in this class and price range - [approx 1MM baht] is available that I might consider.

I will dealer shop some but this can be problematic because they tend not to stock everything. For example. I saw a nice Altis a month ago but it is sold and they only have less expensive ones in stock. If I had not seen the flashy one, I would not have known it existed.

So, thanks for any recommendations of what to look at...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all suggestions - I am not looking for another SUV - have one already -

Saw for the first time yesterday and HRV and liked it - figured there must be other similar sporty offerings...

ps - I am not really a car person, but I sure do enjoy a nice comfy car...

Being in the countryside, we are limited to the major dealers... Nissan, Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota & Honda...

Had an HRV for a year now.

Like you, kenk24, I'm not a car person - bikes are more to my taste - so 'fun to drive' isn't an important consideration. I'm also not particularly bothered by appearance - some say the Mazda CX 3 is better-looking but that's not important for me. I'm small (average Thai size?) - the HRV fits me perfectly. Seats are comfortable, everything is in easy reach, it's nippy enough for my wife & myself especially if using the paddle gearchange for added acceleration. On other HRV-related threads here, people have said the seats are cramped for bigger drivers. The fold-down rear seats make for a massive cargo space. Apparently a first on a car in the HRV's price range, the electric Brake Hold feature is great & will be something I look for on subsequent cars.

The lack of an in-built navigator was initially something I didn't like but I now use the Honda-recommended Sygic navigator as an iPhone app. - it's very good and connects easily & reliably. I've decided that the updateable Sygic system is preferable to the in-built system as I had in my previous Toyota and which was VERY expensive to update. Plus I can use it when on the bike, too.

Edited by MartinL

I have an HRV and very pleased but I've had a Honda in the stable since 1983.

Get a Fortuna or an HRV you will be fine.

We are a «Mazda Family» in Thailand since 2008. Mazda has made really big steps forward the last years in term of technology and style.

Honda is still a good choice in case of resale value and a lot of dealers. But as Toyota, they are falling back in technology.

The last years, Honda and Toyota have lost quite a bit of market share. They are still the biggest, indeed.

As mentioned in my earlier post: Go for the HR-V when you need the very flexible cargo space and comfort. It is a good choice.

The CX-3 is more sportier (better, more powerful engine, no CVT transmission), but has a former ride and less cargo space.

The fuel consumption of the new Skyactiv generation is also very good. The new 2 litre gasoline engine is up to 30% then the old Ford engine. My old Mazda 3 used more than 9 l/100km - the new Mazda 3 and the CX-3 about 6.5 l/100km. On longer drives (more than 10 km) values below 6 l/100km are common. My record is 4.3 l/100 km. (All with Gasohol 95).

The styling is of course a personal taste!

17km/l is pretty standard for a sedan on the highway on 95

the hrv does 14-15 on e85... 17-20 on 91

My figures for the Mazda CX-3 are not for highway. They are real-word figures for my daily use in town and sub-urban conditions.

My daily «routine» are 2 drives of about 12'kilometres to bring my son to school and drive to the office. For these drive a regulatory reach values of 5.5 l/100 km. My average is higher because of some very short drives (below 3'kilometres).

E85 is recommended for long trips and not for city traffic jams. I currently test E20 which seems be just as good as Gasohol 95.

Myself I would stay clear of the Hybrids for now until the technology has matured. A Honda Civic 2.0 will cost about Baht 1 million and is a very reliable car. I had the CRV (1.6 million) and it was brilliant. If you are looking for a small car the Nissan Tiida is excellent with the road holding. Depends what your requirements are from a car.

I have a 2 yr old Jazz & I'm thinking of trading up for HRV. What would be the trade-in value for the Jazz (62 k kms) regularly Honda service. I intend to go to Honda this week but would like some knowledgeable input first.

take about 30% off purchase price, maybe a bit more as your mileage is high for 2 yo car

i like the HRV that will be my next car

If the OP has 1 million baht to spend, he could get away from the rice burners and go shopping for a low mileage Volvo, VW or Skoda. Sometimes a bargain pops up because an expat is leaving - or is that just a sales pitch?

Thanks for all suggestions - I am not looking for another SUV - have one already -

Saw for the first time yesterday and HRV and liked it - figured there must be other similar sporty offerings...

Being in the countryside, we are limited to the major dealers... Nissan, Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota & Honda...

If you like similiar sporty offerings; give the new Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo a look. Not yet in the showrooms, they will start selling next month. I'm waiting for one. Living in countryside maybe you would have to wait some months.

We looked at Toyota, Nissan, and Honda. Originally fancied a Juke. Discounted the Fortuner (I don't like the drive or ergonomics, but that's personal taste of course) and were intending to buy a CRV. Looked at all the Honda models in the dealer showroom but once we sat in the HRV that was it - decision made!

Bought it end last October and not been disappointed. Great car to drive, comfortable sporty and plenty of room even with the lad's wheelchair. Drove back from Si Sa Ket a couple of weeks ago and didn't even notice any fatigue after several hours driving, with a couple of stops. Wifey and kids fast asleep. Also plenty of power when you need it. I bought the top of the range and to me it looks better than Juke, Mazada and Fortuna.

Just bought a new HRV, had lots of cars in my life but really love this one, engine can take e 20 at less than twenty baht a liter, electrics a bit complex and road noise could be improved on, but overall a superb fun to drive cross over.

Just bought a new HRV, had lots of cars in my life but really love this one, engine can take e 20 at less than twenty baht a liter, electrics a bit complex and road noise could be improved on, but overall a superb fun to drive cross over.

e20 will be 20.04 baht tomorrow, PTT and Bangchak just announced a price increase.

We looked at Toyota, Nissan, and Honda. Originally fancied a Juke. Discounted the Fortuner (I don't like the drive or ergonomics, but that's personal taste of course) and were intending to buy a CRV. Looked at all the Honda models in the dealer showroom but once we sat in the HRV that was it - decision made!

Bought it end last October and not been disappointed. Great car to drive, comfortable sporty and plenty of room even with the lad's wheelchair. Drove back from Si Sa Ket a couple of weeks ago and didn't even notice any fatigue after several hours driving, with a couple of stops. Wifey and kids fast asleep. Also plenty of power when you need it. I bought the top of the range and to me it looks better than Juke, Mazada and Fortuna.

How can anyone like the Juke? It is the ugliest car on the road

way better than the most popular vios modded or not, brio, march, focus, almera, fiesta etc etc

still really ugly but not even close to the most popular cars

The Fortuna and Pajero are running it close though.