U.K. Passport renewal in UK - process when on retirement extension

Hi

I entered Thailand on a Non-immigrant "O-A" visa. My current extension of stay (Stamped "Retirement") expires on 19th December 2016. I have a multiple re-entry permit.

My UK passport expires in June 2017 and I intend renewing it when I am back in the UK later this year before I head back to Thailand as it can be renewed up to 9 months early without losing any of the existing 10 year term.

I would appreciate any advice on what I need to do when I send my passport off for renewal in the UK. I understand that I may need a letter from the British Embassy asking the Thai Immigration Authorities to transfer my original visa and extension of stay stamps.

Is this correct or is the process different when renewing the passport in the UK? If so, do I ask the passport office to provide the letter for the Thai Immigration Authorities?

I have read threads on here about the process within Thailand which are very helpful but think the process might be different renewing a passport in in the UK?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I was checking online only this morning on similar issues. To cut a long story short the IPS UK state that if you have existing visas in your old passport, they will return the old with the new and you carry both passports until you get the visas transferred to your new passport.

Just add, I have decided to visit a passport issuing office in the UK and go for the 1 day premium service, yes it is a little more expensive, but at least you are "on site" to ensure things don't go pear shaped

• Like 1

If you enter Thailand using the new passport you don't require the Embassy letter. The stamp is confirmation of acceptance of the new passport.

Take your old and new passports to your nearest immigration office where the stamps will be transferred at no cost.

At least this was the case last year when I did exactly this but we all know the rules change on a whim.

i did the same day service at peterborough, i made an apointment the day before, ( just lucky i guess) you have to turn up on time, early not allowed, they let you into the office after going through security in blocks of about 10, you then show all docs to a reception area, they give you a queue ticket, and your number is called to one of maybe 5 desks, they check everything, you are then given a 4 hours later time slot to collect, i think you then pay at another window, collection is a window area outside the building close to the enterance. peterbough town centre is only a short walk away, so plenty to do/see to pass the time

If you enter Thailand using the new passport you don't require the Embassy letter. The stamp is confirmation of acceptance of the new passport.

Take your old and new passports to your nearest immigration office where the stamps will be transferred at no cost.

At least this was the case last year when I did exactly this but we all know the rules change on a whim.

This is what I did a couple of years ago.

Just carry both passports with you till your immigration office transfers the stamps to the new passport.

thumbsup.gif

i did the same day service at peterborough, i made an apointment the day before, ( just lucky i guess) you have to turn up on time, early not allowed, they let you into the office after going through security in blocks of about 10, you then show all docs to a reception area, they give you a queue ticket, and your number is called to one of maybe 5 desks, they check everything, you are then given a 4 hours later time slot to collect, i think you then pay at another window, collection is a window area outside the building close to the enterance. peterbough town centre is only a short walk away, so plenty to do/see to pass the time

Steve 187, there is a question I have on this, yes in the past I also used Peterbourough as my parents lived relatively close, however on checking online, Passport offices are quite well spread throughout the uk , but do they all do the 1 day premium service.