Exempt Entry Limitations

Hi All,

Just wondering what/if the limit is for the amount of exempt entries you are allowed in a calendar year? I arrived in November and as of now have done 2 exempt entries and 2 thirty day extensions at immigration in BKK. My current stamp from my last visa extension is coming up in just over a week. Is it possible to get a double entry or multiple entry visa without having to go back to my home country? My 2nd exempt entry was a border run to Cambodia. Not too keen on doing that again, but have read conflicting reports/mixed results at immigration in others countries- namely KL, HK and Singapore...any and all help is much appreciated! Thank you very much!

No double or multiple visas are available in the area

I would advise you to get a SETV, Laos is the best option

I don't know the limit for Visa Exempts but to many and you risk being refused entry by Immigration at the border or questioned by Immigration at the Airport

• The is no yearly limit except at a few land border crossings. The limit for them is 90 days not including extensions. Attempting multiple back to back visa exempt entries will eventually end with a denied entry.

You can only get a single entry tourist visa (SETV) from embassy/consulates local to Thailand. Double entries were replaced by the multiple entry (METV) last Novemebr. The METV is only available from your home country/country of permanent residence.

If you plan to stay longer you should get a SETV. Vientiane or Savannakhet, Laos, or Penang, Malaysia are probably the best choices.

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries. Immigration get an alert when you reach 6 of them. Some of the border crossing to Cambodia are limiting our/in visa exempt entries to 90 days in a calendar year.

Since the multiple entry tourist visa became available in November of last year only it and single entry tourist visas are issued.

You can get a single entry tourist visa at nearby embassies and consulates.

Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos and Penang Malaysia are good locations to get one.

whistling.gif You will not get any double or triple entry tourist visas as they were stopped on 23 November 2015.....and replaced by the Multiple Entry Tourist visa from That date on.

You will not get a METV in any Asian country unless you are or legal resident of that Asian country.

In Cambodia, you will not get an METV visa unless you are a Cambodian national or a legal resident of Cambodia.

As to the visa exempt entries there is no official limit on how many you can get on them.....but you will soon find out that you will start getting questions from immigration as to exactly why you are using repeated visa exempt entries.

They will soon start asking questions on exactly how you are earning your income and paying your bills in Thailand.

After about 6 visa exempt entries you will trigger an alert when you enter Thailand...... and questions will start to be asked.

Using repeated visa exempt entries will make then suspect you may be illegally working in Thailand..... which will trigger their questions.

Your best move is to try for a single entry tourist visa....good for a 60 day entry stamp.... and a possible 30 day extension in Thailand from your immigration office.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Couple questions:

1) The SETV is good for 60 days, plus the 30 day extension (total 90 days in the country) correct? How long does that process take? What kind of cost am I looking at? Do costs differ between Laos and Malaysia?

2) Since I've done 2 exempt entries so far, with 2 extensions, would I be alright to do that process one more time before I get the SETV??

3) If I do get asked questions about how I'm paying for life over here while a tourist, can't I just tell them I'm using funds I've saved up and using my credit card?

4) The 90 day land border crossing limits in 1 calendar year, does that apply to land borders everywhere or just Cambodia-Thailand? Would I be ok to make another visa run through the same border in Cambodia? Will be my 2nd time.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) The SETV is good for 60 days, plus the 30 day extension (total 90 days in the country) correct? How long does that process take? What kind of cost am I looking at? Do costs differ between Laos and Malaysia?

2) Since I've done 2 exempt entries so far, with 2 extensions, would I be alright to do that process one more time before I get the SETV??

3) If I do get asked questions about how I'm paying for life over here while a tourist, can't I just tell them I'm using funds I've saved up and using my credit card?

4) The 90 day land border crossing limits in 1 calendar year, does that apply to land borders everywhere or just Cambodia-Thailand? Would I be ok to make another visa run through the same border in Cambodia? Will be my 2nd time.

A SETV costs 1000 Bht or equivalent in local currency (using the Embassy/Consulate published rates)

Within the region it takes a minimum of two days to get the visa. (apply day one, pick up day two)

Total costs will depend on your chosen means of travel and type of accommodation.

If challenged by immigration about finance the officer will expect to see 10-20,000Bht cash (or equivalent in another exchangeable currency)

The Laos/Thai borders are generally OK for obtaining visa exempt entries but a person who has multiple back to back visa exempt entries may be challenged.

1. It is a total stay of 90 days by getting a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry. Cost for the visa is 1000 baht but in Malaysia you will pay 150 RM. Cost in both locations depend upon how you travel there and the class of hotel you stay in. You apply for the visa the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

2. You should not have a problem doing another visa exempt entry.

3. They could ask to see 20k baht.

4. Same as 2.

Thanks guys! Think I will do another exempt entry visa run to Cambodia, extend that 30 days, then go for the SETV.

Couple more questions!

1) Better to go for the SETV with an operator or on my own? Just from my experience with the Cambodia visa run it was quite hectic and a bit overwhelming, so was happy it was basically organized for me. Not sure if the SETV would be less or more chaotic? Also are the SETV's more or less guaranteed? Easier process to get in Laos or Malaysia?

2) From now on when I go to immigration, say in 2 months when I'm getting my next visa run (3rd exempt entry) extended 30 days, should I have 20k baht on me?

3) Would this next visa run be considered a "back to back exempt entry"? I did one 2 months ago, got that extended (that extension is up next week) and am looking to go back to Cambodia on another visa run.

Again, thanks very much for your time and help! You guys are awesome!

Thanks guys! Think I will do another exempt entry visa run to Cambodia, extend that 30 days, then go for the SETV.

Couple more questions!

1) Better to go for the SETV with an operator or on my own? Just from my experience with the Cambodia visa run it was quite hectic and a bit overwhelming, so was happy it was basically organized for me. Not sure if the SETV would be less or more chaotic? Also are the SETV's more or less guaranteed? Easier process to get in Laos or Malaysia?

2) From now on when I go to immigration, say in 2 months when I'm getting my next visa run (3rd exempt entry) extended 30 days, should I have 20k baht on me?

3) Would this next visa run be considered a "back to back exempt entry"? I did one 2 months ago, got that extended (that extension is up next week) and am looking to go back to Cambodia on another visa run.

Again, thanks very much for your time and help! You guys are awesome!

1. Personal choice. The process is basically the same. Most people who qualify for a visa are issued with one.
  2. You will not be asked to show cash (other than the extension fee) in an immigration office. I is at borders that you may be asked to show you have adequate finance.
  3. Yes
  • Like 1

What they said plus...

1. A 30 day extension of stay costs 1,900 baht and is issued on the spot.
  2. The more you use visa exempt entry the more likely you are to get questioned about your long stay and how you fund it. Immigration clearly want people staying here long term to enter with a visa. If you were denied at the border they would likely tell you to go get a tourist visa.
  3. If you enter with visa exempt you can be asked to show 10k min; if with a tourist visa it's 20k. It's best to carry at least 20k. Many people live here long term on savings and if thats what you're doing then you can tell them that. They won't ask for proof. If they do it because they think you're working and looking for a reason to deny entry.
  4. Probably. See 2.

1) For Malaysia (Penang) no visa is necessary, whereas you must pay around $35 to $40 to enter Laos. In Laos, you pay a straight 1,000 baht for the Thai SETV. In Penang, you must pay in Malaysian currency 150 RM which is about 1,270 baht. In addition, you will probably want to use an agent in Penang to avoid traveling to the inconveniently located consulate yourself. This is another 40 RM (about 340 baht). Travel costs depend on where in Thailand you are staying. From Central/Northern Thailand to Laos they can be very low, as overland travel is feasible. Similarly, from Southern Thailand, you can go overland to Penang. Flying to Laos is expensive, but you can fly cheaply to an airport in Thailand within easy reach of the border and overland from there if you wish. Flights to Penang fluctuate. It is worth checking combined flight/hotel deals on AirAsiaGO. Sometimes, their prices are rather attractive. In summary, it is difficult to give a firm figure. Absolute rock bottom minimum for a visa run to get an SETV might be 5,000 baht, but you could easily spend double that. You must apply in the morning and receive the passport back with the visa the following afternoon which implies 1 or 2 nights in Penang/Vientiane/Savannakhet. The cost of a 30-day extension is easier: 1,900 baht.

2)Another visa exempt run to Cambodia could go wrong. If you want to do another one, do it by air (same day) perhaps to KL or overland to Laos (unattractive option if it were me).

3) If they are suspicious, bank statements showing either big balance or deposits from outside Thailand might be the only thing to satisfy them. Unless you are unlucky, just having 10,000 to 20,000 baht cash will probably suffice.

4) I think the Cambodia border checks on visa exempt entries tends to be based on computer alerts. We know these happen for 6 visa exempt entries (anywhere, even at airports) but it seems they are triggered in other ways too. It is really better not to take the risk.

• 2 months later...

Hi, do you know if a Chinese person can also stay 1 month in Thailand with a visa exempt entry ? And 1 month extension is possible for each entry ?

In your opinion, after how many times coming to Thailand this person will be questioned by immigration ? And if this person is able to show a lot of money in Chinese banks, would it help ?

Then the best option will be an education visa or Elite visa ? I wonder if somebody refused at airport could wait until the Elite staff comes to airport to bring her visa ? (if called day 1, will Elite staff bring the visa day 2 ?)

The target is to pay the Elite visa only if really needed and if this person is refused entry to Thailand.

Thank you for all your replies

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries. Immigration get an alert when you reach 6 of them. Some of the border crossing to Cambodia are limiting our/in visa exempt entries to 90 days in a calendar year.

Since the multiple entry tourist visa became available in November of last year only it and single entry tourist visas are issued.

Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos and Penang Malaysia are good locations to get one.

Hi, do you know if a Chinese person can also stay 1 month in Thailand with a visa exempt entry ? And 1 month extension is possible for each entry ?

In your opinion, after how many times coming to Thailand this person will be questioned by immigration ? And if this person is able to show a lot of money in Chinese banks, would it help ?

Then the best option will be an education visa or Elite visa ? I wonder if somebody refused at airport could wait until the Elite staff comes to airport to bring her visa ? (if called day 1, will Elite staff bring the visa day 2 ?)

The target is to pay the Elite visa only if really needed and if this person is refused entry to Thailand.

Chinese Nationals are not entitled to visa exempt entries. They can apply for a visa on arrival which costs 1000 Bht and allows a 15 day (non extendable) stay

If a Chinese person wishes to stay longer they must apply for a Thai visa in China.

Questions about the Elite visa are best addressed to Thai Elite http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Chinese Nationals are not entitled to visa exempt entries. They can apply for a visa on arrival which costs 1000 Bht and allows a 15 day (non extendable) stay

If a Chinese person wishes to stay longer they must apply for a Thai visa in China.

Questions about the Elite visa are best addressed to Thai Elite http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Chinese can also get visas outside China if they have residence in another country. You have made the incorrect statement that Chinese must get their visas in China more than once.