Help please - extending a 30 day tourist visa for my son

My son is coming to stay with us in July between finishing year 3 at UNI and starting his final year in September. I've bought his ticket for 4th July arrival with departure on 1st September. I was hoping he could get a standard 30 day visa on arrival and we could either extend that at Don Mueang Immigration or by taking him to Myanmar for the day 30 doing an in and out.

I'd prefer to take him to Immigration to get an extension without the going to the wire option of trying to in/out on day 30 - can it be done?

Yes it can but ....

• He is better off getting a single entry tourist visa (SETV) from his home country. That will cover his full 60 day stay.
  • He cannot get a visa on arrival. If he doesn't have a visa he will be granted visa exempt entry and a 30 day permit to stay.
  • Any extensions of stay would be applied for at Chaeng Watthana.
  • In/out border hops to get a new visa exempt entry aren't available at all Myanmar crossings.
  • If he travels to Thailand without a visa the airline probably won't let him board unless he has an onward flight dated within 30 days of arrival.
Edited by elviajero

Hmmm - I think I'll tell him to go get a multi entry visa then while he can. I don't want him turned away in the airport or having issues here!

He wants to go to Changi to see his friends while he is here so a multi entry would solve that!

I assume I am correct in that he can get a multi entry tourist visa for 60 days or possible 90 days?

I was really hoping he could do visa exempt and get it extended to cover the 59 days.

So if people check inn at the self service machine that some airline use they should be OK with a one way ticket because the don't need to get in touch with staff. Correct?

Incorrect,you still have to show your passport and boarding pass at the gate.

Hmmm - I think I'll tell him to go get a multi entry visa then while he can. I don't want him turned away in the airport or having issues here!

He wants to go to Changi to see his friends while he is here so a multi entry would solve that!

I assume I am correct in that he can get a multi entry tourist visa for 60 days or possible 90 days?

I was really hoping he could do visa exempt and get it extended to cover the 59 days.

• No need for the METV. The criteria can be tough at some embassies/consulates and an unnecessary expense unless he's planning several side trips.
  • He can gat a SETV for his first entry and depending on when he goes to Singapore he can get a re-entry permit or re-enter Thailand using visa exempt entry.
  • He is staying for 60 days if arriving on the 4th. The day you arrive counts as day 1.

"I think I'll tell him to go get a multi entry visa then while he can"

A 2 or 3 entry tourist visa in no longer available. There is a relatively new multi-entry tourist visa, but it has a few extra hoops you need to jump through in terms of money in the bank and possibly employment. It allows multiple entry over six months validity, but not sure if a student would be granted one because of the extra requirements and it is relatively expensive.

The single entry tourist visa SETV allows one entry for 60 days and can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand. If your son wants to exit the country and return he can either buy a re-entry permit before exiting, which will keep his visa entry alive and allow him to re-enter Thailand OR he can get a 15 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing (or 30 days if he flies in) when he returns and that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

If he gets the re-entry permit while on the visa entry, when he returns he'll still have the balance of the original 60 days and can still extend for 30 more days.

His travel timings will determine which is the most sensible thing to do. If he gets that single entry tourist visa and can postpone his trip to Singapore until sometime into the 2nd month of his stay, he could just leave and if/when he returns to Thailand, just enter on a visa exempt entry.

Edited by Suradit69

Or he could just time his trip to Singapore so that it is within 30 days of his arrival in Thailand. When he comes back he gets another 30 days. The flight to Singapore would count as an onward booking so no issue with the airlines.

• Like 1

Or he could just time his trip to Singapore so that it is within 30 days of his arrival in Thailand. When he comes back he gets another 30 days. The flight to Singapore would count as an onward booking so no issue with the airlines.

Except, Sheryl, as someone already pointed out, his outward and return flights are 60 days apart and I don't want him refused travel at Heathrow UK because he has no visa and cannot rely on the 30 day visa exempt rule on entry.

Except, Sheryl, as someone already pointed out, his outward and return flights are 60 days apart and I don't want him refused travel at Heathrow UK because he has no visa and cannot rely on the 30 day visa exempt rule on entry.

He does not have to have a return flight within 30 days. Just an onward flight ... anything out of Thailand. So a ticket to Singapore works fine.

So if people check inn at the self service machine that some airline use they should be OK with a one way ticket because the don't need to get in touch with staff. Correct?

Correct, but i have never seen anyone been asked to show a return ticket when the board the plane.

Correct, but i have never seen anyone been asked to show a return ticket when the board the plane.

I have been denied boarding by Qatar airways departing Heathrow on a one way ticket after check in,i immediately resolved the issue by booking a cheap flight to Phnom Penh of which they entered the flight number into the computer.

I had no visa and tried to explain that I would be obtaining a 60 day extension in Thailand for visiting my Thai daughter this was not enough for them hence the cheap flight that I never used.

Sheryl is right and it's another option. As long as he books a flight to Singapore that leaves within 30 days of his arrival in Thailand he could travel to Thailand with no visa. On return from Singapore he could get another visa exempt entry.

Personally, I would travel with the SETV that way he can be more flexible with the side trip.

Right, I think we've done this one to death and explored all options available and I want to thank you all for your information and advice input. I have advised my son to make a postal application to the Royal Thai Embassy for a 60 day tourist visa, costing £25 plus a pre-paid tracked signed for Royal Mail envelope and if he needs the money to tell me.

I am grateful to this forum and the members because you have pointed out the pitfalls I missed and the SETV option does produce a good degree of comfort as if for any reason we cannot do a border run or he cannot visit his friends in Changi it is still not going to be a problem.

Now roll on July 4th because while the Americans celebrate one thing I get to see my son for the first time in nearly a year and my daughter is also coming for a couple of weeks arriving on the same day! Great!!