How Do Ex Pats Earn A Living In Phuket

singer

Yes! there`s those living off savings and some living off pensions.A few very wealthy. Quite a few in business one way or another.Obviously quite a few with bars,some succesful believe it or not. Some struggling.

Some with restaurants etc. Odd person in IT. Owners of guest houses and hotels

Odd tourist company. :o:D

Yes! there`s those living off savings and some living off pensions.A few very wealthy. Quite a few in business one way or another.Obviously quite a few with bars,some succesful believe it or not. Some struggling.

Some with restaurants etc. Odd person in IT. Owners of guest houses and hotels

Odd tourist company. :o:D

A mixed bag you'll find.

I have noticed that there appear to be a lot of bars with ladies that will have sex with you for money, I am not sure what the farrang owners did back home, but as they are pimping now they seem to be doing alright out of it.

I strongly recommend getting a bar and having pretty ladies init that have sex for money, seems like a good earner. :o

Bash

quite a few with bars,some succesful believe it or not.

Who's bar is successful?

Don`t think my friends would appreciate me telling.They like to keep a very low profile. :o But lets just say for a fact, I know one who has bought a 5 millon baht house :D:D

neenthewiser, I greatly repsect your researching techniques!

So many new bars sprining up and closing down again in a few short months, I feel a bit sad for some of these guys, they come charging in with gusto and great ideas then realize its the same idea and retreat.

awww.

Got some good advice on my second trip to Patong, was introduced to an Expat and he asked me what I did for a living and what my plans for the future were and he said " and please dont tell me you are thinking of opening a bar here" I said no and he gave me a rundown of the failures and successes in the area, the latter far outnumbered the latter.

For me that was good advice, I was toying with the idea, banks in Oz were throwing money at people so that wasn't a problem. In reality I just didn't know anything about the place after only 2 short visits.

I wonder how many other people have jumped in boots and all and ended up losing their shirts.

There always seems to be a steady supply of people stepping off the plane with pockets full of cash thinking all they have to do is buy a bar and that'll keep them here. Soon enough the disillusion sets in, the drinking becomes a problem, the fights with the gf escalate and the losses mount. Then they have to look for someone newer and dumber to offload the bar to.

What I'd like to know is what's the record? What's the shortest time between someone buying a bar and the For Sale sign going up?

There always seems to be a steady supply of people stepping off the plane with pockets full of cash thinking all they have to do is buy a bar and that'll keep them here. Soon enough the disillusion sets in, the drinking becomes a problem, the fights with the gf escalate and the losses mount. Then they have to look for someone newer and dumber to offload the bar to.

What I'd like to know is what's the record? What's the shortest time between someone buying a bar and the For Sale sign going up?

Hi,

I freely admit that i know naff all about running a bar in Thailand but surely if the guys who step off the plane expecting to open a bar and watch the cash roll in and have unlimited sex everynight tried to run a bar the same way in any country they would also fail?

To make a sucess of any business takes 100% dedication, to sit at the end of the bar drinking is certain disaster. But what about the guys who have a proper business plan , research what works and what doesn't, have an "angle" that makes their bar different and instead of getting p1ssed every night actuall watch how the punters are reacting...would they be more sucessful?

• 4 months later...
the latter far outnumbered the latter.
Neat trick !!! :D

Not sure if its a record but Mr P's (was in what is now the pool section of Dragon Disco) spent 8 million baht (so the Belgian fella told me) on renovation and opening and lasted about 6 weeks before they had the door padlocked. More than a million per week open :o

are there those who have found a means of making an income and what would that be ?

Don't forget the people working in jobs that require English as a native language, such as English teaching and working for English newspapers, magazines, websites and publishers.

Certainly MP's was a spectacular loss, but due mainly to having no direct access from the street. The stairs to Dragon weren't built then.

Do you remember the Platinum Project on Song Roi Pee just before Soi Kepsap ?

Rumored to have cost over 200 mill, with about 150 bars, disco, etc. Lasted about two months.

The hundred or so bars said to be being built in the old Soi Moodies will be the next disaster.

• 1 month later...
I guess a bar is the investment of choice..but what other choices are there?

I'm about to relocate there from maui,and I'd really like to know..

Construction and home repair (plumber, electrician, carpenter). At least these are the things I spent most money on...

And how did that business do for you? With all the development, I should think pretty well?

Construction and home repair (plumber, electrician, carpenter). At least these are the things I spent most money on...

And how did that business do for you? With all the development, I should think pretty well?

Unfortunately I am not a businessman; sometimes handyman - forcedly.

I wish though I would have learnt one of the mentioned jobs or had a company providing professional craftsmen - you asked for other choices? Here they are! :o

Why move from Maui. It's No Ka Oi.

Advice: never try to compete in an area of business that can be done by locals, period. You either need to be the Sen Yai or nothing at all.

I only know of one man who came to Phuket with nothing and became a wealthy sucess, and respect to him for his achievements, but they were nearly ten years ago and even though it was probably hard then, I'm sure it isn't any easier these days.

After six weeks of interviews, phonecalls, networking etc... I discovered that it is far from easy coming to Phuket with no money at the start of the school holidays.

The only work available was slimy, commission based time share selling, or if you were lucky, there may be the chance of standing in for a bar owner while he's away and earning between 8 and 12 thousand baht a month and a few free beers.

It is near impossible to come here with no money and find work.

I was told this by 99% of the expats I met.

Who's bar is successful?

I know quite a few succesful bar owners in Patong. The ones who are losing are the dumb ones. They are trying to make a small fortune by bringing a big fortune.

Good luck to them!!

BTW, the more succesful bars do not employ ladies for take away services. Patong is changing more to a family destination. Guys, there you go, that is the business opportunity in Patong!