More Toilets For New Thai Airport Following Flood Of Passenger Complaints

Jai Dee

More toilets for new Thai airport

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Authorities in Thailand said Wednesday they will triple the number of toilets at the newly opened Bangkok international airport following a flood of passenger complaints.

The sprawling Suvarnabhumi International Airport only has some 100 toilets for the more than 100,000 daily passengers, sparking frustration and anger among those having to stand in long lines.

"We are aware of this burden on the passengers and I have ordered a quick resolution to this problem by ordering the building of 200 more toilets. The project has already begun," the head of the Airports Authority of Thailand Chotisak Asapaviriya told The Associated Press.

The 400 million baht ($10 million) project is expected to be completed within 45 days.

"I guarantee that by then passengers and visitors to the airport will find convenient relief," Chotisak said.

Opened last month and hailed as the new air hub for Southeast Asia, the airport has not been without problems, including slow unloading of luggage, insufficient seating at departure gates and a cramped taxi pickup area.

Most recently, some of the parking bays have been temporarily closed for repairs due to the uneven surface of the ramp approach, Chotisak said.

Source: AP - 25 October 2006

45 days! I'd like to see that, where do they intend to put em? At 2M ea they must be something else - or is graft kicking in?? Obvious that there was not nearly enough return in dunnies as in other aspects of the project during the original design stage.

Anything to stop the new showpiece Airport becoming ...Suwanna-Pong. :D

checked them out a couple of times last week at departures and either they were Broken-doors /pipes,were O-O-O,had no paper (dont mean Bangkok Post) had water all over the floor (no wellies available)...and people were Q-ing up for a quick one...... :o

The ones in the Thai Airways lounge however (airside) were verrrry nice :D

checked them out a couple of times last week at departures and either they were Broken-doors /pipes,were O-O-O,had no paper (dont mean Bangkok Post) had water all over the floor (no wellies available)...and people were Q-ing up for a quick one...... :D

:o:D:D

2 million per toilet! You can buy a small condo for that much out there in that neighborhood.

But ......... maybe the 400 million ... will after all go for a few condos in one way or another :D

After all, the beneficiaries' mia nois should each have their own place to stay :o

I would be a little bit less enthusiast....

Did you go to men's toilets in the lounge ?

Did you notice in front of the urinals, the.... mirror ?

Well, this mirror is obviously a bit too low... Effect : you can enjoy a very nice view on your private parts, along with those of your neighboors... I guess it must be sanook.

Sorry to be trivial.

:o

Well, this mirror is obviously a bit too low... Effect : you can enjoy a very nice view on your private parts, along with those of your neighboors... I guess it must be sanook.

You mean the one-way mirror with the camera behind it?

---------------

Maestro

I would be a little bit less enthusiast....

Did you go to men's toilets in the lounge ?

Sorry to be trivial.

:o

YES....and knew that I was holding something...but I thought ....aw yea...Ko jai... :D

It almost seems as if those who designed the new airport had never really designed a real airport before.

Providing sufficient seating and toilet facilities seems to me to be in direct relation to the number of daily passengers.

I mean, how many toilets were there at Don Muang? That should give you some idea of the number you will be needing at the new airport, shouldn't it.

I've been to a lot of airports all over the world and haven't run across one yet where I had to wait in a long cue to get to a toilet.

Didn't the new airport designers even do some basic calcualtions before building the place?

400 mil. to build 200 toilets that comes to 2 mil per toilet, that seems overpriced unless the fixtures are all imported, and toilet standard are the same as a five star hotel :D

To complete within 45 days? :o I doubt it :D

Oh, I bet this was all planned out years ago, sort of like the road contractors disappearing after only finishing half the job thus causing an even newer contract to be issued to finish it all. Of course it is alot easier to finish a road than to install a major plumbing upgrade to an existing structure. It wll be interesting to see if there is actually some pre-installed infrastucture for the "new" loos or whether they are going to have to break open the floors to install new plumbing.

Either way, one can only say, Chaiyo!

400 mil. to build 200 toilets that comes to 2 mil per toilet, that seems overpriced unless the fixtures are all imported, and toilet standard are the same as a five star hotel :D

To complete within 45 days? :o I doubt it :D

plumbing is with golden pipe instead of plastic ha ha :D

gdk

could be complex job digging up the floor and laying very long lengths of waste pipes and water supplies to the new latrines . Unless they plan to run them at high level.
I can just see it now: In six months there will be miles of blue PVC piping visible all over the place! :o

• 1 year later...
could be complex job digging up the floor and laying very long lengths of waste pipes and water supplies to the new latrines . Unless they plan to run them at high level.
I can just see it now: In six months there will be miles of blue PVC piping visible all over the place! :o

yes...whoever has the concession for blue PVC piping and teflon thread-sealing tape will do quite well!

Talking about toilets, are there any toilets in the checking in area? If comming there some hours before the inchecking starts it could be difficult if not having access to a toilet. :o

Yes, there are toilets for you to use before checking in. Note the topic was posted in 2006.

Didd't hurt the Georges Pompideu Centre in Paris did it?

The reason the toilets are so expensive is because they are having Senator Larry Craig come in and personally supervise all aspects of their design and construction.

And George Michael is going to be a special consultant (hence the mirrors).