Swiss man dies after choking on noodle soup in Jomtien

webfact

This is a big problem in Thailand no one knows anything about first aid

they just watch you die ???

If anyone chokes on food and no one helps, the first thing to do is use the edge of the table

just ram yourself on that edge just below your rib cage try to get one side of the table against the wall.

Or put it on it's side and grab the sides and ram your stomach as hard as you can, it works.

Are any Thais taught the Heimlich manoeuvre? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_thrusts

This probably would have saved him.

Doubt you will find many Thai women even men, having the remotest idea about heimlich manoeuvre, unless they are Graduates or had some exposure to Paramedics or Emergency Medical Treatment Procedures and First Aid like Firemen, Nurses, Pharmacists and Assistants, Lifesaver on Beaches . Not sure if the majority of Police even have had any training. Such a pity, could save so many lives and especially lives of children too. Maybe a good time for Communities to try and get some TV Channel involved that also broadcasts in THAI and the Media and the Minister of Health and the Government. .

Choked on noodle soup...New one to me!!

Doubtful it was a soft noodle.

There are various things in a noodle soup.

Such as meat with gristle. Whole chiles. Etc.

Asthma can aggravate these incidents. Speaking from personal experience.

Edited by Jingthing

To the old guys that lived during the late 60s: One of the singers on the group The Mamas and The Papas died of food asphyxiation while eating a hamburger. This was in the early 70s and I always wondered what could be done to save a person from that. During my sixth grade class, the first aid teacher taught everybody in the class the Heimlich Maneuver. Three years later, I used it on a fellow student when he was choking on a pen cap. I got an award for it from the elementary school that taught first aid. I guess the school system did something right for once.

Choking has too be a horrible panic stricken way to die. Happened to me once when I was wolfing down a very large very dry sushi role from a take away. Non of the role made it to my gut but expanded in my throat.

I started having trouble breathing so bolted towards a 711 and ran to fridge, grabbed a coke and drank the lot as fast as I could however it was semi warm and the blockage was tight so the whole lot came out my nose. I got some very strange looks with my face bright red and coke streaming out both nostrils.. Switching to water taking just a mouthful and swallowed hard and ever so slowly it started to move. Was a very close call

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Did you pay for the coke and water ? :)

Choking has too be a horrible panic stricken way to die. Happened to me once when I was wolfing down a very large very dry sushi role from a take away. Non of the role made it to my gut but expanded in my throat.

I started having trouble breathing so bolted towards a 711 and ran to fridge, grabbed a coke and drank the lot as fast as I could however it was semi warm and the blockage was tight so the whole lot came out my nose. I got some very strange looks with my face bright red and coke streaming out both nostrils.. Switching to water taking just a mouthful and swallowed hard and ever so slowly it started to move. Was a very close call

Did you pay for the coke and water ? :)

Was hesitant to pay for the nearly warm coke but it did clear my sinuses

I heard what is possibly a corollary to this story that makes it even more tragic ..... the post mortem simply mentioned that alcohol was in the blood but did not specify what quantity and on that basis his insurance company refused to pay out on his death.

Have no further details and no wish to derail the thread but wonder if it is worth re-checking your insurance coverage to see if such a clause about alcohol invalidating any claims is there.

Seems a bit cruel to surviving family but that is what someone who was a neighbour mentioned to me. Or he may be mixing up the case with someone else who died in a similar situation.

(Mods may remove this as unsubstantiated and I will understand that)

Edited by oxforddon

I don't care if you are trained in any type of maneuver for clearing the airway. If I am facing certain death, a ballpoint pin tracheotomy or directly into the lung will be fine with me until someone else can do something. Even if you do something that attempts to save me and ultimately doesn't work is better than doing nothing.

Who would perform these amazing "life saving" procedures?.

I am particularly interested in the "directly into the lung" procedure. Where can links and further information about this remarkable first aid technique be found ?

I don't know of a web resource that describes the technique but it is very similar to a Catheter Aspiration and Tube insertion. All you are doing at this point is keeping the blood oxygenated and it is a very short term and risky procedure. If you prefer to die instead of taking a possibly crazy risk with a chance of survival that is your choice.

To the old guys that lived during the late 60s: One of the singers on the group The Mamas and The Papas died of food asphyxiation while eating a hamburger.

No.

The official findings of the coroner's inquest were that Cass Eliot died from "fatty myocardial degeneration due to obesity" (i.e., a heart attack brought about by fatty degeneration of the heart muscle fiber), and nothing was found to have been blocking her mouth or throat.

--http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/mamacass.asp

How to Avoid Spreading Myths and Misinformation Online

To the old guys that lived during the late 60s: One of the singers on the group The Mamas and The Papas died of food asphyxiation while eating a hamburger.

No.

The official findings of the coroner's inquest were that Cass Eliot died from "fatty myocardial degeneration due to obesity" (i.e., a heart attack brought about by fatty degeneration of the heart muscle fiber), and nothing was found to have been blocking her mouth or throat.

Guilty as charged. Sorry for the misinformation.

No.

Oh, bug..er, another good story down the throat.

Sorry about her though, she was great to watch (and listen to).

Are any Thais taught the Heimlich manoeuvre? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_thrusts

This probably would have saved him.

St. Johns first-aid training courses I have attended refuse to teach the Heimlich manoeuvre, as it is too complicated and can cause internal organ damage.

The simplest and most effective method to clear an airway obstruction is to bend the subject's torso forward and using an open palm thump between his shoulder blades a couple of times.

That's using your noodle.

Just re sat my 3 year 1st aid with St Johns Ambulance and they taught us the Heimlich Manouvere.

A perfect example that the average Thai person has no working knowledge how to help another person with medical needs. So, simple the ( Hi mick (bad spelling), maneuver I learn that at the age of 8 in my school. So, no one in the noddle shop knew what to do? So, sad.

You were probably brought up in a developed world. Education is free. No need to constantly worry about making ends meet? The average Thai is not so lucky. You should also state how the average Rwandan or Bangladeshi wouldn't know either.