Best Long Term Stay Strategy 50+, Married, Thai Son

Our son now 8 was born in Chonburi. His mother is Thai. We are both on the birth certificate. I am 53 and a citizen of the USA. We are married since 2006. We have also been living apart from each other. My son and I have been in the USA since 2009 until the present. My son has a USA Passport but not a Thai Passport.

I want to figure out the best and easiest way to stay long term with both our son and my wife. I have all the necessary documents, his birth certificate (Thai), USA birth Abroad Certificate, Marriage Certificate (Thai) and all documents translated into English. My wife has a rented condo in Bangkok. I think it's time that I repatriate my son to Thailand. My thoughts on this are that he will always be an American boy, at least in the way he thinks. He speaks no Thai. As a Thai citizen he will have the advantage of speaking English, and thinking like a foreigner which should give him an advantage should he start a business and even if he seeks employment elsewhere. He will always be able to travel as an American.

I'm thinking that the Non-O visa obtained either in NYC or DC with multiple entries might be the way to go for me. As for my son, I would like to get him his Thai Passport here in the USA but there has been conflicting information as to the papers I need from my wife. As I understand it, she needs to give me power of attorney for him, and nothing more. I'm still unsure.

Is the married to a Thai still 400,000b in the bank, and for how long?

What are the requirements for me if I go the route of supporting a Thai (our son). Are there banking requirements for this too?

If I get an O visa multiple entry, do I still need to follow the banking requirements or just do a trip every 90 days. I also read on TV that I can extend that O visa another year by doing something the day before the visa expires.

Suggestions?

Edited by stuck

First you have both marriage and retirement options (do not need child as will be with wife and same procedure).

For retirement there is the multi entry non immigrant O-A visa for a one year stay that can get a second year with an exit/return just before it expires - but this requires 800k in bank account or 65k monthly income or combination to meet 800k (when converted to baht). Police report and short medical 'not have' report required.

For marriage there is single and multi entry non immigrant O visa - any 90 day stay can be extended at immigration on basis of marriage with 400k in bank or 40k income. Bank deposit must in in account 2 months each year prior to application.

One consideration on move is Thailand still has military draft system active.

First you have both marriage and retirement options (do not need child as will be with wife and same procedure).

For retirement there is the multi entry non immigrant O-A visa for a one year stay that can get a second year with an exit/return just before it expires - but this requires 800k in bank account or 65k monthly income or combination to meet 800k (when converted to baht). Police report and short medical 'not have' report required.

For marriage there is single and multi entry non immigrant O visa - any 90 day stay can be extended at immigration on basis of marriage with 400k in bank or 40k income. Bank deposit must in in account 2 months each year prior to application.

My son is 8 so there is plenty of time before the draft becomes a factor. May I assume the draft starts at 18? My son has no Social Security Number so he is free to go where he wants and do what he wants without the desperate USA trying to steal his wealth. If we stay in the USA, he will become responsible for this ridiculous debt, which gets higher not lower. I am thinking of his future, and he can have a taste of both countries. My son is Thai and he is an American. I want to give him choices.

If I go the way of supporting a Thai, is that the same 400,000 baht in the bank? Is the 2 months time frame the same for marriage, supporting a Thai, and retirement?

For child no time requirement listed - for marriage 2 month - for retirement 3 month (except first is 2 month).

Another factor to remember is education - it will be very costly for any decent schooling in Thailand - doubly so if he can not study in Thai. From your above post I can only suggest you give all factors a full second look. Needless to say I do not agree with your political assessment; but you are making decision for child as well as yourself so do be careful.

For you to apply for child's Thai passport you will need a consent form from your wife notarized by an Amphoe or passport office here. Consent form: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20120630-195748-510034.pdf

Requirements for the passport application is here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21482-e-Passport-Application-for-Thai-Nationals-Living-A.html

For you to apply for child's Thai passport you will need a consent form from your wife notarized by an Amphoe or passport office here. Consent form: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20120630-195748-510034.pdf

Requirements for the passport application is here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21482-e-Passport-Application-for-Thai-Nationals-Living-A.html

My wife lives in Bangkok. MofF Affairs just told her that she needs to get it signed at the ampur in Nong Khai where she is on the family book there. Is there any way around this?

My wife lives in Bangkok. MofF Affairs just told her that she needs to get it signed at the ampur in Nong Khai where she is on the family book there. Is there any way around this?

I see no reason she cannot get it notarized at any Amphoe or Khet.

I see no reason she cannot get it notarized at any Amphoe or Khet.

I need a spike with which to bang my head.

2 minutes ago .....

Me: "Who told you that you have to go to Nong Khai to get this paper?

Wife: "She did."

Me: "What? Who is she?"

Wife: "Woman at the embassy told me that!"

Me: "Did you call the local Ampur?"

Wife: "Have to go to Nong Khai!"

Me: "Did you call the local Ampur?"

Wife: "Ask already, have to go to Nong Khai!"

Me: "You asked whom? Who said that you have to go to Nong Khai, did you call the local Ampur?"

Wife: "told already, cannot!"

Me: "Did you call the local Ampur, YES OR NO?!!!!!"

Wife: "no ...."

Me: "Who told you that you have to go to Nong Khai for this document?"

Wife: "My Katoey friend tell me."

Me: "Call the local Ampur. Call the local Ampur, call the damn ampur!, NOW!"

I'm having second thoughts. And just for the record, she's university educated, holds down an office job and is in her late 30's.

But after all these years, I know which questions to ask.

Edited by stuck
  • Like 1

The wife just called not one Amphur but two and both of them just told her she has to go back to where she was born, where the family book resides. Can this be true?

I don't think it is correct. She should go to an Amphoe with the completed form and see what they do. All they are doing is certifying her signature on the document.

You're probably correct. I'm sure they never asked for the type of document and she never told them. How does anything get done when Thais are involved?

My son is 8 so there is plenty of time before the draft becomes a factor. May I assume the draft starts at 18? My son has no Social Security Number so he is free to go where he wants and do what he wants without the desperate USA trying to steal his wealth. If we stay in the USA, he will become responsible for this ridiculous debt, which gets higher not lower. I am thinking of his future, and he can have a taste of both countries. My son is Thai and he is an American. I want to give him choices.

If I go the way of supporting a Thai, is that the same 400,000 baht in the bank? Is the 2 months time frame the same for marriage, supporting a Thai, and retirement?

I thought all USA citizens had to register and get a Social security number. Quiet surprised you say he has a USA passport but got that without a social security number? Is your Son an established USA citizen?

I thought all USA citizens had to register and get a Social security number. Quiet surprised you say he has a USA passport but got that without a social security number? Is your Son an established USA citizen?

No law requires anyone to obtain a number.

• Like 1

No law requires anyone to obtain a number.

They push for it, but at the embassy when getting your report of birth abroad and passport for child, it is not a requirement. But it is not required. However, to get certain gov't-sponsored assistance, that is where they eventually get you to sign up.

The REAL-ID act was a more recent example of how they are attempting to compel Americans to get an SSN and adapt to the system.

They push for it, but at the embassy when getting your report of birth abroad and passport for child, it is not a requirement. But it is not required. However, to get certain gov't-sponsored assistance, that is where they eventually get you to sign up.

The REAL-ID act was a more recent example of how they are attempting to compel Americans to get an SSN and adapt to the system.

We are veering off topic just a bit. Let me be clear, no law requires anyone to obtain a Social Security Number. That's not my opinion, I was told that as confirmation by a man that headed a Social Security Office in the USA. The Social Security number was and still is only to be used for the purposes of administrating social security.

We in the USA are hypocrites. We apply some laws but ignore others. The law is clear, your social security number is NOT be used for any other purpose.

At three months old I took our boy and my wife to the Embassy in Bangkok. I neglected to fill out the SS number application. Boo hoo. It had nothing to do with naturalizing our son, nor getting him a USA passport. He has both. The local public school never demanded a number. I told them he doesn't have one and that was the end of that discussion. I don't do vaccinations. I don't trust them. That too was not a problem.

Government schools are paid for via local property taxes. It's not a benefit. It's paid by the citizenry and he takes nothing that hasn't already been paid dearly for.

• Like 1

I'm a bit murky on the retirement visa process. I can get an O-A with the intention of either proceeding with the extension process based upon marriage, support our son, or retirement. What If I don't do the extension and just do a border run with a multiple entry visa. Will I still be able to renew the visa for a second year if I don't do any extension at all?

I guess this is where I'm a bit murky. Previously I did 1-year extensions based on being married to a Thai. I was continuously extending the same O Visa. It was a single entry visa.

So what I'm asking, is can I obtain an O-A Visa with the intent to stay with my family, but not be pressed to immediately go through the process of getting an extension? How many times can the original O-A Visa be renewed?

I'm a bit murky on the retirement visa process. I can get an O-A with the intention of either proceeding with the extension process based upon marriage, support our son, or retirement. What If I don't do the extension and just do a border run with a multiple entry visa. Will I still be able to renew the visa for a second year if I don't do any extension at all?

I guess this is where I'm a bit murky. Previously I did 1-year extensions based on being married to a Thai. I was continuously extending the same O Visa. It was a single entry visa.

So what I'm asking, is can I obtain an O-A Visa with the intent to stay with my family, but not be pressed to immediately go through the process of getting an extension? How many times can the original O-A Visa be renewed?

The O/A visa can only be obtained in your own country. It is available to anyone over 50 who is able to meet the requirements.

An O/A visa cannot be renewed but a new O/A visa can be obtained from your home country as often as is wanted.

The O/A is a one year, multiple entry visa which provides a one year permission to stay. If an entry to the country is made just prior to the the visa expiring a second years stay can be had. During this second year any travel outside the Kingdom requires a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay date.

If staying in Thailand for more than 90 days a report is required by immigration every 90 days.

An extension of stay, if wanted, can be applied for during the last 30 days of the second years stay.

The O/A visa can only be obtained in your own country. It is available to anyone over 50 who is able to meet the requirements.

An O/A visa cannot be renewed but a new O/A visa can be obtained from your home country as often as is wanted.

The O/A is a one year, multiple entry visa which provides a one year permission to stay. If an entry to the country is made just prior to the the visa expiring a second years stay can be had. During this second year any travel outside the Kingdom requires a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay date.

If staying in Thailand for more than 90 days a report is required by immigration every 90 days.

An extension of stay, if wanted, can be applied for during the last 30 days of the second years stay.

Thank you.

As I understand what you wrote, I can obtain an O-A Visa here in the United States, and stay in Thailand for almost 2 years without having to process an extension. I don't have to do 90 day border runs but do have to make a 90 day report.

Is that correct?

If this is so, then why don't more people get the O-A instead of the O. The regular O visa is 90 days only, where the O-A is 1 year. Is the O-A that much harder to get?

Thank you.

As I understand what you wrote, I can obtain an O-A Visa here in the United States, and stay in Thailand for almost 2 years without having to process an extension. I don't have to do 90 day border runs but do have to make a 90 day report.

Is that correct?

If this is so, then why don't more people get the O-A instead of the O. The regular O visa is 90 days only, where the O-A is 1 year. Is the O-A that much harder to get?

"

As I understand what you wrote, I can obtain an O-A Visa here in the United States, and stay in Thailand for almost 2 years without having to process an extension. I don't have to do 90 day border runs but do have to make a 90 day report.."

Correct !

Different people make different choices.

Most choose to enter the country with a single entry "O" visa and then apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement.

You will find full details about the O/A visa on the US Thai Embassy website. You will need in addition to financial evidence, a police check and a medical report.

You wrote: Correct !

Most choose to enter the country with a single entry "O" visa and then apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement.

You will find full details about the O/A visa on the US Thai Embassy website. You will need in addition to financial evidence, a police check and a medical report.

I reply: I would prefer to not have to put money in the bank. I don't have a problem with the criminal check nor with the medical. It seems to me a good way to give myself 2 years before I have either get another O-A or apply for an extension prior to the 2nd year expiration.

Thank you for making it clear.

I reply: I would prefer to not have to put money in the bank. I don't have a problem with the criminal check nor with the medical. It seems to me a good way to give myself 2 years before I have either get another O-A or apply for an extension prior to the 2nd year expiration.

Money does not need to be in a Thai bank to obtain an O/A visa but you will need money in an American bank.

Money does not need to be in a Thai bank to obtain an O/A visa but you will need money in an American bank.

Yes, I just read the requirements from the New York Consulate:

I would still have to at the end of the first year put 800,000 baht in the bank for a retirement or 400,000 and do the stay based on marriage.

To qualify for an O-A visa, the applicant must:

1. Be at least 50 years of age by the date of application
  2. Not be prohibited from entering the Kingdom.
  3. Have no criminal record against the security of Thailand, the country of the applicant’s nationality, or the country of the applicant’s residence.
  4. Be a citizen or resident of the country in which the application is submitted.
  5. Not have any prohibitive diseases listed in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).
  6. Not be allowed to work in Thailand.

Required documents for the application.

1. A passport valid for at least 18 months.
  2. Three completed and signed application forms .
  3. Three passport-size photographs (2x2 inches).
  4. Three copies of Personal Data Form.
  5. Three copies of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.
  6. Letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy).
  7. Three copies of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued in the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence. Verifications must be less than 3 months old.
  8. Three copies of medical certificate form completed by a doctor in the country of application showing no prohibitive diseases. Certificate forms must be less than three months old.
  9. If the applicant wishes for a spouse that does not qualify for an O-A visa to accompany the applicant to Thailand, the applicant must produce a marriage certificate. The spouse will be considered for a Visa for Temporary Residence (Non-immigrant “O”).
  10. Three copies of airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight no., date of entry and name.
  11. Visa fee
  12. If an applicant wants to have passport mailed back, We require you to enclose a self-addressed envelopesize 6"x9" or large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps. Metered stamps will not be accepted.( Recommened using USPS Express mail )

Information for O-A visa holders while staying in Thailand

1. Every 90 days, the visa holder must report to an immigration office. If there is no immigration office in the visa holder’s residence area, the visa holder must report to local police station.
  2. If the visa holder wishes to extend their stay after one year, they should submit a request at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate. These documents must show funds exceeding 800,000 Baht.
  3. If the visa holder’s spouse wishes to extend their stay as well, a marriage certificate must be produced.

Additional requirements

***Attention ***

Holders of :

- Travel documents of any country

- Re-entry permits

- Passports from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Vietnam, Yemen

are required to submit the following additional documents:

1. Current passport, valid re-entry permit, or travel document for travel to Thailand.
  2. Three completed and signed application forms
  3. 3 Passport-size photographs. (Photographs must have a light color background with a full-face view without wearing a hat or dark glasses and taken within 6 months.)
  4. If submitting applications in person, fees are payable by cash or money order. If submitting application by mail, fees are payable by money order to "The Royal Thai Consulate-General,New York" only.
  5. Employment verification or a guarantor's letter from a U.S. resident
  6. A copy of confirmed round-trip tickets and itinerary
  7. A copy of permanent resident alien card
  8. A copy of proof of finances, such as a bank statement showing personal savings or checking accounts.
  9. A personal bio-data of applicant(s) since leaving country of birth or refugee camp. (For former nationals of Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia only)
  10. A copy of confirmed hotel reservations or a letter from a host in Thailand. (Name and Address)
  11. Reference person and address in Thailand
  12. Reference person and address the next country after Thailand or your native country

Please note:

• Consular officers reserve the right to ask for additional documents as deemed necessary.
  • In the absence of a required document, a letter indicating the unavailability of such document must be provided.
  • The applicant must sign on each page of the copy.

stuck

Yes ------- but the website neatly avoids mentioning that a 2nd one year period of stay can be obtained by exiting/re-entering the country just prior to the visa expiring.

You would not need to put money in a Thai bank during the second year unless you intended to apply for an extension in which case you would need to ensure that money was in a Thai bank for two months before application for an extension was made.

stuck
Yes ------- but the website neatly avoids mentioning that a 2nd one year period of stay can be obtained by exiting/re-entering the country just prior to the visa expiring.
You would not need to put money in a Thai bank during the second year unless you intended to apply for an extension in which case you would need to ensure that money was in a Thai bank for two months before application for an extension was made.

Excellent.

So I can obtain an O-A visa from NYC based on money in my USA bank account and avoid having to put money in a Thai bank until the end of the 2nd year if and only if I decide to extend another year based on marriage or retirement. There are a few hoops to go through here, but nothing onerous.

A lot can happen in 2 years.

Just to make clear - the O-A is only issued for long stay for those meeting 800k/65k financials and over age 50 - there is no lower financial if married or have child.

Is that a correct statement? I thought the marriage and supporting a Thai (my son) was 400,000b.

The O-A is a special long stay visa and is currently issued for those meeting retirement conditions. It is not available for marriage/child - for that you would obtain non immigrant O visas and then extend at immigration inside Thailand at the requirements for marriage or child of 400k. So if you want to obtain the O-A in USA you will have to do it for retirement and meet the 800k/65k financials.