Totally confused on Retirement visa!

There is no "retirement" visa --------------however--------

Being 59 you can apply for an O/A (long stay) visa from the London Thai Embassy.

You will need evidence of finance (money in a UK bank equal to 800,000 Bht) , a police clearance cert. and a focused medical report.

The visa a a one year multiple entry visa which provides an initial one year stay.

If Thailand is exited/re-entered immediately prior to the visas expiry date a second one year permission to stay will be provided.

If travel is undertaken during the second year of stay a re-entry permit must be obtained.

During the final 30 days of the second year of stay a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based on retirement can be applied for. However, prior to applying for the extension you must ensure 800,000 Bht has been in a Thai bank for at least two months (60 days) .

Extensions of stay are renewable each year if requirements (principally financial) are met.

I couldn't wait to see who was the first to say 'there is no retirement visa'. Congratulations, you win.

But 99 per cent farangs when asked will say they are on a retirement visa.

I wish TV would introduce a pedant of the year award.

There is no "retirement" visa --------------however--------

Being 59 you can apply for an O/A (long stay) visa from the London Thai Embassy.

You will need evidence of finance (money in a UK bank equal to 800,000 Bht) , a police clearance cert. and a focused medical report.

The visa a a one year multiple entry visa which provides an initial one year stay.

If Thailand is exited/re-entered immediately prior to the visas expiry date a second one year permission to stay will be provided.

If travel is undertaken during the second year of stay a re-entry permit must be obtained.

During the final 30 days of the second year of stay a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based on retirement can be applied for. However, prior to applying for the extension you must ensure 800,000 Bht has been in a Thai bank for at least two months (60 days) .

Extensions of stay are renewable each year if requirements (principally financial) are met.

I couldn't wait to see who was the first to say 'there is no retirement visa'. Congratulations, you win.

But 99 per cent farangs when asked will say they are on a retirement visa.

I wish TV would introduce a pedant of the year award.

Are you really claiming that only 1% of "farangs" understand the basis on which they are allowed to stay in Thailand ?

Perhaps I should not be surprised! Some are, indeed , pretty dense !smile.png

Good Info - I did not realize you could do a border run just before the O-A runs out and you get the 12 months permission to stay at the border.

For O-A It takes more organising and does have extra costs for the medical and police records - And the cost for the Notary fees, but it got me thinking about the pros and cons.

1. police records are £45 to get the certificate within 10 working days and £80 for a 2 day delivery.
  2. Medical Record should show that applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months - theoretically for UK you should be able to get just your medical records without an examination, but the process is slow (they state in UK that they aim to respond back within 40 days of your applications) and then just to issue an appointment - A Medical examination costs anything between £70 - £150 depending on the practice here is an example of £100 http://www.epmpractice.co.uk/fees
  3. The Notary fees vary the most and depending who you use can be up to £250 I had quoted, but realistically this should be about £60 here is an example of such http://www.premiersolicitors.co.uk/Legalisation,11332,10160,11328,0.html

So for an extra £45 + £100 + £60 = £205 = 10,000 THB * you can get 12 months of cross border travelling and a relatively easy 12 months extra time (permission to stay) without the poor experiences of Thailand immigration visits in the final 30 days for the second year of stay for a one year extension of stay based on retirement. Also there is no requirement to transfer funds over prior to applying for the extension since you must ensure 800,000 Bht has been in a Thai bank for at least two months (60 days) on retirement extension. Obviously identifying if this is worth 10,000 THB is subjective and will be different for each person – But for me it does have some value worth thinking about.

* Note: There is of course the cost of the actual visa added to this figure.

The common elements of both O-A visas and retirement extensions of stay are that they both enable retirement age folks (age 50 and up) to stay in Thailand provided they can show proof of sufficient finances (either bank balance or monthly income). In that regard, they're similar to each other.

But in a lot of other areas, O-A visas and retirement extensions are different. They applied for in different places (outside Thailand vs. inside Thailand), they're issued by different entities (Thai Embassies/Consulates vs. Thai Immigration Bureau), they have some different requirements (police/medical clearance vs none being required), and different application fees as well.

So if someone comes onto ThaiVisa looking for advice or trying to understand how things work, it certainly would benefit that person and everyone else involved to understand the difference between the two things, and use the correct terminology in the relevant discussions here. Otherwise, it gets even more confusing than it already it, and people come away with misunderstandings and incorrect guidance. It's not just a matter of people being fussy about what terminology is being used.

• Like 2

They didn;t look at the medical nor the police report and didn't take copies…........................

If I understood your post correctly, you were applying for an Extension in Thailand.

Those items are only required when you apply for a Retirement Visa in your home country - they wouldn't be interested in them here.

That's why the majority of people apply for an Extension of Stay (Retirement) when they get here - it's much simpler.

Having read through the comments I'm sure you are thoroughly confused and appalled at the attitude of some know-it-all posters.

I was issued my Non-Immigrant Visa category "O" with multiple entry in 2009. I got it from the Thai consulate in Hull in the UK. I got it via mail. Apparently Hull is now closed but I hear Cardiff is still open if that is more convenient for you. Otherwise you will perhaps need a trip to the Thai embassy.

When I got here I opened a bank account and put money into it. Some banks eg SCB would not allow me to open and account and told me I needed a work permit to open an account. Anther bank, Kasikorn, opened an account without question. I went to immigration in Korat, the officer turned me down….he said it was 'very difficult' meaning he wanted money. Instead I went with partner to Bangkok immigration, they accepted my application with no fuss, but asked for more information than was listed on the website. They asked for the house book of where I was staying and the ID card of the person that owned the house (my partner).

They didn;t look at the medical nor the police report and didn't take copies…they only seemed interested in the money in the bank and the house book.

Why would Immigration look at the Police Report or Medical Report? They are not required.

BTW Hull Consulate is not closed and still open for business.

Just as I thought I was getting somewhere it turns out that I am not eligible for an O three month visa as I am neither married to a Thai national or receiving a state pension. So if I can't get an O visa in the UK what can I get which would still allow me to convert to non immigration O in Thailand and the retirement extension at a future point?

I add here the information I was sent from Hull Consulate.

Just as I thought I was getting somewhere it turns out that I am not eligible for an O three month visa as I am neither married to a Thai national or receiving a state pension. So if I can't get an O visa in the UK what can I get which would still allow me to convert to non immigration O in Thailand and the retirement extension at a future point?

Tourist visa.

Thank you for your enquiry

You cannot apply for the retirement visa at this Consulate only at the Royal Thai Embassy in London, there is information on their website if you look up under the non-immigrant category "OA" visa. The website is www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk

If you are wanting to apply for the "OA" retirement visa in Thailand then you do have to show the money in a Thai Bank 800,000thb but to apply for the visa in Thailand you have to have a non-immigrant category "O" visa in your passport first but to apply for this visa in the UK you have to be married to a Thai National or receiving the UK state pension, if you are none of these then you are going to have a problem in applying the retirement visa in Thailand.

Hull is limited by the Embassy in what they can offer (a long story! )

You could try telephoning/emailing the other Consulates who might be more accommodating

If not you have the O/A option, or you could arrive with a tourist visa and convert that entry to an "O" visa entry in Bangkok or you could obtain a single entry "O" visa in Vientiane or Penang. The latter two options require you have evidence of funds in a Thai Bank or a Letter from the British Embassy confirming income of 65k Bht/month.

Poor OP - What a mess of advice. wink.png

I arrived with nothing, got stamped in for 30 days, converted that to a Visa at my local immigration office, then extended it every year thereafter. All done within Thailand, based on Income so no Thai bank required, but needing re-entry permits when I want to go out and back.

Rather than clutter up the thread -- more details on request ... smile.png

Edited by jpinx

Poor OP - What a mess of advice. wink.png

I arrived with nothing, got stamped in for 30 days, converted that to a Visa at my local immigration office, then extended it every year thereafter. All done within Thailand, based on Income so no Thai bank required, but needing re-entry permits when I want to go out and back.

Rather than clutter up the thread -- more details on request ... smile.png

You may have done that. However, conversions are now only done in Bangkok and there are only a few offices who are authorised to accept "conversion" applications for onward transmission to BKK for approval. The process takes <> 15 days.

• Like 1

Thank you for your enquiry

You cannot apply for the retirement visa at this Consulate only at the Royal Thai Embassy in London, there is information on their website if you look up under the non-immigrant category "OA" visa. The website is www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk

If you are wanting to apply for the "OA" retirement visa in Thailand then you do have to show the money in a Thai Bank 800,000thb but to apply for the visa in Thailand you have to have a non-immigrant category "O" visa in your passport first but to apply for this visa in the UK you have to be married to a Thai National or receiving the UK state pension, if you are none of these then you are going to have a problem in applying the retirement visa in Thailand.

One of the Brits here who's familiar with their local customs would be better on this than me. But the Hull response above seems flawed in several ways.

As I read the Hull Consulate response above, they're telling you that only the London Thai Embassy can issue O-A visas. And that's not a bad thing, unless you have some problem with being able to access London. And the part they go on to talk about after the O-A reference isn't pertaining to O-A visas, but rather, what appears to be the entirely different O visa and the Thai retirement extensions

However, their 2nd paragraph is confusing. You don't apply for an O-A retirement visa in Thailand and you don't have to show money in a Thai bank for an O-A. For the O-A, you apply in your home country and if using bank deposits show the money there.

So what Hull appear to be talking about is rather the Thai Immigration Bureau's retirement extension of stay, which does require money in a Thai bank. So they're jumping ahead to issues beyond what you need to focus on, and that's what kind of VISA is going to get you to Thailand in the first place.

As one of the mods mentioned above, there is the O-A visa and then there is an entirely different O visa, which has one of its eligibility criteria being married to a Thai national, as the Hull post refers to.

What they should have said in their email is that, GENERALLY, it's easier to arrive in Thailand with some flavor of Non-Immigration visa (O-A, O or others) in order to later, at the end of that visa, to convert it to a retirement extension of stay at Thai Immigration. What they totally left out, wrongly, was that it is indeed possible to arrive on a tourist visa and then ultimately convert that to a retirement extension of stay inside Thailand at the Immigration Bureau. It's a bit more complicated, but perfectly do-able at Bangkok Immigration.

Bottom line, I would check the London Embassy website and review their application criteria for the London Embassy to issue an O-A for you.And don't let the Hull email let you think that somehow you'd be precluded from getting some appropriate visa to come to Thailand.

In reviewing the London Embassy's webpage for issuing O-A visas, I don't see anything particularly out of the ordinary there, or that would be an impediment to applying for and receiving one.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

ELIGIBILITY

• Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
  • Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
  • Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
  • Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
  • Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Validity of passport at least 1 year
  2. Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs
  3. Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form
  4. Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum) or a deposti acocount plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht.
  5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  6. Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  7. Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  8. In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Note: Documents 4 to 8 inclusive must be certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors

CHANNELS TO SUBMIT VISA APPLICATION AND FEE

1. Applicants can submit their applications at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Consulates in UK and
Ireland. Or...

Also, as I suspected, it's the O visa -- not the O-A -- that has the elements about being married to a Thai national or being retired with a state pension. Don't confuse the two. They're entirely separate with different rules/eligibility for each. And AFAIK, you are not in any way required to be receiving a UK state pension in order to qualify for an O-A visa.

Category "O"
To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the ACRO link below is capable of producing a UK proof of no criminal record document that will be acceptable to say Thai Consulates in Malaysia please?

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.

Does anyone know if the ACRO link below is capable of producing a UK proof of no criminal record document that will be acceptable to say Thai Consulates in Malaysia please?

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.

I am sure it would be accepted. My question is what would you need if for,

whistling.gifwhistling.gif I am probably one of those who stoked the fire for this discussion some years ago.

Just to be clear i do not care what a visa is called.

What i have tried to make clear before however is that there are diferent REQUIREMNTS for an O-A visa, a one year multi entry visa. and retrrement extension to stay in Thailand with them.

All i want is for those who uae them to know and understand the paticular requirements for the best use of each one.

It is not "rocket science".....any normal person who can balance his or her own bank account can understand the differences between them and how to best make use of them to stay in Thailand.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Everything I have read so far suggests it is one of the items needed for an O-A Visa. The problem is that the British Embassy in Bangkok says that:

QUOTE:

UK Police Clearance Certificates

At present, the UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility. You can obtain more information with the ACPO Criminal Records Office. UNQUOTE

Now that does sound just a bit contradictory, and as I am not actually ready to apply for the visa just yet, there doesn't seem to be much point in doing an SAP just yet. In the meantime, I really do want to be doubly sure that I'm doing this the right way. Thai Consulates in Malaysia are not exactly very helpful - which is hardly surprising when you realise that the counter staff are constantly getting it in the neck from all sides.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

Everything I have read so far suggests it is one of the items needed for an O-A Visa. The problem is that the British Embassy in Bangkok says that:

QUOTE:

At present, the UK authorities do not provide police clearance certificates. Applicants can however apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility. You can obtain more information with the ACPO Criminal Records Office. UNQUOTE

Now that does sound just a bit contradictory, and as I am not actually ready to apply for the visa just yet, there doesn't seem to be much point in doing an SAP just yet. In the meantime, I really do want to be doubly sure that I'm doing this the right way. Thai Consulates in Malaysia are not exactly very helpful - which is hardly surprising when you realise that the counter staff are constantly getting it in the neck from all sides.

Unless you are Malaysian or a resident there you will not be able to get the OA visa there. OA visas can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

QUOTE:

Unless you are Malaysian or a resident there you will not be able to get the OA visa there. OA visas can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

Thanks to Ubonjoe & Johnatong for their help!

I would go to Vientiane for a tourist visa and change to retirement. medical and else can be done in bkk. would be cheaper than trying to do the visa in Europe.

correct?

Why get a tourist visa in Vientiane? A single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement can be obtained there by showing the financial proof needed for an extension of stay,

Then apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa at his local immigration office. A medical certificate and etc are not needed for extensions.