BKK to Hua Hin via route 4012

james.d

Hello All,

The family and I will drive to Hua Hin next week for a couple of days. Instead of taking the route through Khao Yoi and Tha Yang I noted a costal route via Ban Laen and Hat Choa Samran.

Though we are not greatly pushed for time, could anyone let me know how much longer the costal route is, and the condition of the road? Also im guessing its two lanes only so how safe (in regards to driving standards) given I have never driven this costal route?

Thank you in advnce,

James.d

I use this road a lot.

The road is in good condition, and there is not much traffic, it has recently been upgraded to a very good standard.

It is not much longer than the highway route, but you will be driving much slower, so instead of taking two/two and a half hours to Hua Hin, plan for at least three.

It is a much more relaxing drive than the crazy highway and the standard of driving is the same as on all Thailands back roads, expect the unexpected.

I would say it is a much safer journey, due to the low volume of traffic.

There are some very good seafood restaurants en-route and it is quite scenic, especially late afternoon when the light is better. The salt farms are especially scenic, more so if they are being worked.

Edited by MUSTYJACK