New Air Asia routes from Khon Kaen

Eclipse

Great to see the Chiang Mai route reestablished after several years in hiatus.

Hard to imagine why Khon Kaen to Hat Yai would be a viable new route. Because of the troubles in the south, I wouldn't even consider flying there in order to access other southern Thailand destinations such as Trang or Krabi. The Hat Yai airport itself was even a major target several years ago.

Great to see the Chiang Mai route reestablished after several years in hiatus.

Hard to imagine why Khon Kaen to Hat Yai would be a viable new route. Because of the troubles in the south, I wouldn't even consider flying there in order to access other southern Thailand destinations such as Trang or Krabi. The Hat Yai airport itself was even a major target several years ago.

Fair enough, but it's probably viable in the sense that passengers would be using it to travel directly to Malaysia, NOT to the three southermost provinces per se.

There is also a Lion Air flight from Hat Yai to Udon Thani for the same reason - it's a cheap flight that (almost) connects northern Malaysia with Vientiane.

I was browsing some Facebook pages of a friend of a friend of a friend. A Muslim lady from Pattani she is, she had taken the flight from Hat Yai to Udon and then travelled to Vientiane.

Maybe Khon Kaen to Phuket would have made more sense - but as mentioned, I think the Hat Yai routes offer connectivity to Hat Yai and Malaysia, rather than say Phuket. Maybe there is a demand that we don't know about although it's true that one does not see very many Malay or Muslim looking people in Khon Kaen (or Udon Thani) apart from the small numbers of local Muslims who have set up mosques in these cities some years back, but their communities are small.