Bangkok Police to fine T-Rex truck driver for breaking traffic code

webfact

Sad dinosaur: Police to fine T-Rex truck driver for breaking traffic code
By Coconuts Bangkok

dino.jpg
The 4-meter-tall T-Rex was driven around the city on Monday. Photo: Rightman

BANGKOK: -- A deputy police commissioner said the driver who transported the T-Rex to its theme park, which was the most exciting thing to happen in Bangkok traffic this week, broke a traffic law and will have to pay a fine.

Pol. Gen. Nipon Chareonphol, Deputy Commissioner of Royal Thai Police, said the robotic T-Rex protruded from the truck, so the driver should have placed a red flag at the end of the dinosaur as per the Land Traffic Act.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/03/sad-dinosaur-police-fine-t-rex-truck-driver-breaking-traffic-code

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-03-03

Sorry guys. Do you have a problem with a policeman enforcing the law?

No problem with the police enforcing the law. But one wonders how many policemen this truck drove past who did nothing about it other than stare open mouthed.

He is getting fined because it appeared in the news.

So really nothing to do with policing, just a chance to do some ass-about-face policing and ending up with egg on face again.

As others have said what about the no helmet guy or the bike parked on the pavement. Doesn't that count in your law book ?

Edit.

Having seen the video of Dino roaring in the traffic I'm surprised the Thai's weren't jumping out of their cars and running for their lives.

Or does that only happen when people turn into zombies in restaurants.

Edited by berybert

No problem with the police enforcing the law. But one wonders how many policemen this truck drove past who did nothing about it other than stare open mouthed.

He is getting fined because it appeared in the news.

So really nothing to do with policing, just a chance to do some ass-about-face policing and ending up with egg on face again.

As others have said what about the no helmet guy or the bike parked on the pavement. Doesn't that count in your law book ?

Edit.

Having seen the video of Dino roaring in the traffic I'm surprised the Thai's weren't jumping out of their cars and running for their lives.

Or does that only happen when people turn into zombies in restaurants.

Parking on the pavement is probably better than by the side of the road and blocking traffic although riding on the pavement is not so good. And sure, the guys without helmets should be fined... But I doubt if this photo was taken by the policeman who stopped them. Anytime the police do their job, we shouldn't really complain.

Bad dinosaur: T-Rex robot reports to Thai police station over traffic violation
By Coconuts Bangkok

dinosaur_0.jpg
Screenshot of dinosaur. Photo: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- The dinosaur that fell afoul of Bangkok traffic laws has handed itself in to police.

The robotic T-Rex had caused a stir when it was driven in a truck around Victory Monument, Din Daeng and Siam Paragon area on Monday as it headed to join 200 other dinosaurs at“Dinosaur Planet,” a new theme park near Phrom Phong BTS.

But a deputy police commissioner was not amused and said the truck triver had broken a traffic law by not attaching a red flag to the end of the dinosaur, which protruded from the back of the truck.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/04/bad-dinosaur-t-rex-robot-reports-thai-police-station-over-traffic-violation

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-03-04

What exactly is the red flag needed for? Just in case people don't see a freaking huge roaring T-rex, a red flag will make all the difference.

"Woah! Glad that red flag was there or I would have never noticed that massive dinosaur!"

post-140919-0-77878400-1457081604_thumb.

Edited by attrayant

This law must be specific to model dinosaurs, because in the years I've lived here I've never seen a red flag on any of the numerous other objects the drivers here having protruding from the backs of their trucks.

This law must be specific to model dinosaurs, because in the years I've lived here I've never seen a red flag on any of the numerous other objects the drivers here having protruding from the backs of their trucks.

thats not true, I see it all the time...perhaps you live out in the sticks

Farmers throughout Thailand everyday overload and overhang their vehicles in all directions, with no red or any other colour flag for the day of the week colour. Its just part of Thailand's one law for everything. The LAW OF STUPIDITY.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

People on TV have problems with police not enforcing the law and for enforcing the law. It is a lose lose situation for them

It is called common sense, which, as they say, is not all too common.

100s or 1000s of trucks with lumber, steel, pipes, etc., sticking far beyond the back of a truck present a constant, everyday hazard, which is what the red flag is for. A giant, unmistakeable, rarely ever seen dinosaur being parading around to the delight of onlookers one time ever is hardly a major concern. The officer could have recognized the situation for what it was, and simply offered to place a red flag on the dino, doing his part to bring happiness back to the people.

Serve and Protect. Ticketing those who are presenting a frequent daily hazard, and ignoring the laws which are designed to minimize that hazard, is serving and protecting. Ticketing the once-in-a-lifetime dino driver was simply being a douche bag.

People on TV have problems with police not enforcing the law and for enforcing the law. It is a lose lose situation for them

It is called common sense, which, as they say, is not all too common.

100s or 1000s of trucks with lumber, steel, pipes, etc., sticking far beyond the back of a truck present a constant, everyday hazard, which is what the red flag is for. A giant, unmistakeable, rarely ever seen dinosaur being parading around to the delight of onlookers one time ever is hardly a major concern. The officer could have recognized the situation for what it was, and simply offered to place a red flag on the dino, doing his part to bring happiness back to the people.

Serve and Protect. Ticketing those who are presenting a frequent daily hazard, and ignoring the laws which are designed to minimize that hazard, is serving and protecting. Ticketing the once-in-a-lifetime dino driver was simply being a douche bag.

You are correct... It is about common sense....

In this case it's common sense on the part of the PR company involved with this...

You couldn't pay for better marketing... Only the stupid think the Thai's are not clever enough to stage this 'red flag story'...

Now, I wonder how much this 'senior police officer' agreed to before arresting the driver of the lorry carrying the model dinosaur.....

Edited by richard_smith237

So...is there something as a traffic code ? In Bangkok?? Get a life...

If i have to count all law's broken ..each day to work and back home in that Idiot bangkok traffic. Bunch of wannabee's behind a steering wheel.

clowns !!

If i have to count all law's broken ..each day to work and back home in that Idiot bangkok traffic. Bunch of wannabee's behind a steering wheel.

clowns !!

"Bunch of wannabes behind a steering wheel" ???? You mean every driver?

Bangkok traffic may not be great, but the above post is simply lacking in any form of intellect to the degree that it just comes across as a dumb bitter attack..... Time to 'get that life' you are suggesting others get...

clowns !!

Bangkok traffic may not be great, but the above post is simply lacking in any form of intellect to the degree that it just comes across as a dumb bitter attack..... Time to 'get that life' you are suggesting others get...

The wannabe part to inform you better is meant the guys who don't give a ship about the traffic rules, so lets say 90% of bkk drivers.

clowns !!

The wannabe part to inform you better is meant the guys who don't give a ship about the traffic rules, so lets say 90% of bkk drivers.

Ah, like a wannabe statistician..... I get your point though, but 'wannabe' is perhaps the wrong phrase... As you say, the roads are simply fully of people who while driving don't give a 'ship'.... Why? Because no one else gives a 'ship'....

clowns !!

No, just ordinary everyday people trying to get on with life.

Normal everyday people doing normal everyday things. Nobody has taught them to drive properly or given them any uniform guidance on the rules of the road. They might have taken their driving test but that does not require any proper 'on road' tuition. Even the theory test is confusing and contradictory.

So they survive by the rules they know. The ones they learned as pedestrians. While also adding in coping strategies to stay alive - like not stopping at junctions for fear of being rear-ended.

Add in the 'Mai pen rai' attitude and the beliefs in spirit protection and reincarnation. It becomes easy to see why Thai's drive and ride as they do.

As for BKK being hectic of course it is. I know many drivers and riders in the UK who will not drive or ride in London. Big cities tend to be a rat race and have that effect on people. BKK is no different to any other capital in that respect.

It's easy to apply correspondence bias, but that just means we don't apply the right strategies to deal with the behaviour.