Where to buy fresh duck?

just_Elaine

We used to buy fresh whole ducks or fresh duck legs or fresh duck breasts at Tesco Lotus. We have been checking periodically over the last couple of months and have not found any. Does anyone know where to buy fresh duck?

Thanks...

I had what was supposed to be a crocodile once. Lots of pepper and spices inside. Could have been crocodile. But in the meantime I think it was squid :D...

Edited by MadMac

Often things have different meanings here.

Fresh can mean not old or not frozen, either that is was never or was frozen previously. It can also mean many other things like it was it was frozen when fresh (is there another kind?), cooked recently or has a bad attitude.

That Tesco Lotus sold never previously frozen duck would surprise me though I never bought or saw "fresh" duck there.

I find the frozen duck breasts at Makro to be quite good. By scoring the skin the fat renders nicely and cooking to a true med-rare gives one a juicy result.

Fresh can mean not old or not frozen, either that is was never or was frozen previously. It can also mean many other things like it was it was frozen when fresh (is there another kind?), cooked recently or has a bad attitude.

That Tesco Lotus sold never previously frozen duck would surprise me though I never bought or saw "fresh" duck there.

I find the frozen duck breasts at Makro to be quite good. By scoring the skin the fat renders nicely and cooking to a true med-rare gives one a juicy result.

Yes, I should have probably asked for raw duck. We want to cook it by ourselves. We have in the past done the whole ducks, rendered the fat, made duck confit with the legs and had the breasts as you described. However, we are too lazy and it is too hot to do that now so this time, we are probably only after breasts.

Also, yes, I think Tesco's may have been frozen first, but I cannot be sure because I did not find them that way....

It has been ages since we've gone to Makro. Do you still need to get a membership card now?

Yes, I should have probably asked for raw duck. We want to cook it by ourselves. We have in the past done the whole ducks, rendered the fat, made duck confit with the legs and had the breasts as you described. However, we are too lazy and it is too hot to do that now so this time, we are probably only after breasts.

Also, yes, I think Tesco's may have been frozen first, but I cannot be sure because I did not find them that way....

It has been ages since we've gone to Makro. Do you still need to get a membership card now?

So it seems Falang also interpret fresh differently as I wouldn't consider just any non-cooked product incl. previously frozen as fresh.

I've never needed a Makro card, they ask if you have one, but always accept no, or it's in the car, for an answer and then allow one to make their purchase.

Perhaps when they opened my then local store in Pranburi around 8 yrs ago they did require one, which they readily issued, but I can't recall needing one in CM.

But ahh confit leg of duck does sound good and luckily since it's such a good low-fat dish it's perfect for my health lifestyle! biggrin.png

As said before, the makro frozen duck breasts are good.

The notorious Gordon Ramsey has a good vid on You Tube on how to cook them. Ive used his method several times and my...the breast does taste good.

As an aside his method for scrambled eggs is also fantastic.

As said before, the makro frozen duck breasts are good.

The notorious Gordon Ramsey has a good vid on You Tube on how to cook them. Ive used his method several times and my...the breast does taste good.

As an aside his method for scrambled eggs is also fantastic.

Thanks for mentioning this. May have a look if I ever get to buy some duck. It is so HOT now that I cannot even think about cooking....

So it seems Falang also interpret fresh differently as I wouldn't consider just any non-cooked product incl. previously frozen as fresh.

I've never needed a Makro card, they ask if you have one, but always accept no, or it's in the car, for an answer and then allow one to make their purchase.

Perhaps when they opened my then local store in Pranburi around 8 yrs ago they did require one, which they readily issued, but I can't recall needing one in CM.

But ahh confit leg of duck does sound good and luckily since it's such a good low-fat dish it's perfect for my health lifestyle! biggrin.png

Great. Thanks... Yes, confit mmm... I haven't looked recently, but there used to be a company that provided one confit duck leg that was local to Chiang Mai. I saw the product at Rim Ping (in the ham, sausage area), but have not been looking in that section for over a year. We figure eating it once in awhile is okay (once or twice a year)???!!

re

Can't get much fresher than this

oh yes you can :)

by caversham bridge in reading england any day you want :)

or the thai version ( cooked ) in anusarn market every night !

dave2

Oh - THAT kind of fresh....

The butcher section of Muang Mai market.

Thanks for this by the way. It has been ages since I've been to that market and never in the butcher section. Unfortunately, we were there at a bad time of day (mid-day) and must have missed the duck vendors. We did roam around and bought a nice variety of chilis, wing beans, yellow split moong beans and a dried black bean as well as leaves for miang kham. Never used the moong beans before, but used a dal recipe I had and we enjoyed some nice dal. We are on our 2nd batch today and just wanted to say Thanks!

The butcher section of Muang Mai market.

Thanks for this by the way. It has been ages since I've been to that market and never in the butcher section. Unfortunately, we were there at a bad time of day (mid-day) and must have missed the duck vendors. We did roam around and bought a nice variety of chilis, wing beans, yellow split moong beans and a dried black bean as well as leaves for miang kham. Never used the moong beans before, but used a dal recipe I had and we enjoyed some nice dal. We are on our 2nd batch today and just wanted to say Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm. Delicious.. Well, even though it is hot as hxxxx, we cooked to hide from Songkran revelers... Potatoes, duck breast with shallot, cognac, triplesec, dried cherries wine sauce and sauteed Shanghai bok choy.. We had a salad first... Thanks for helping us eat well... Sorry, can't seem to add the picture...