VAT refund, how much do we get back?

Cheesekraft

There's a small processing fee involved as well, I think.

If you are buying an item that is generally sold at a fixed price (a Samsung phone/tablet for example) then it may be easier and cheaper to buy it in the Duty Free section as there you do actually pay the street price less the tax. Obviously you need to check details for each individual item

Check the documentation requirements and make sure the vendor actually issues it correctly otherwise you'll get 0% back ...

And make sure you get the document stamped BEFORE you go through security as afterwards it's too late and they wont process your claim or let you go back. The customs office before security is quite well hidden, some might say deliberately, and I suspect that a large percentage of people dont get their due refund because of this.

For a Bt10K purchase (7% of that was VAT) your refund would be Bt500. And it not a linear refund relationship...for example a Bt10,700 purchase (7% of that was VAT) your refund is still Bt500. For a Bt11K purchase (7% of that was VAT) your refund is Bt550.

Go to the VAT refund calculator at the bottom of this Revenue Dept webpage and punch in various amounts to see your refund.

Additionally, the purchase has to be for at least B2K to get a refund of Bt80. A Bt1,999 or less purchase gets zero refund.

But as a rule of thumb for VAT refund eligible purchases, the refund is 5 to 6%

Edited by Pib

10,000 Baht = 107%

7% = 10,000/107*7= 654 Baht

So you should get 6.54% back, but I think they only give 6%.

I recently had a VAT refund for a laptop purchased here and was also surprised that I got back less than 7% of the total amount, e.g. something like 5.4% or so. The lady at the counter showed me a list with different refund percentages and some pre-calculated amounts. According to her, the actual refund percentage depends on the cost of the item.

By the way, the below site has a refund calculator which calculated my received refund perfectly:

http://vrtweb.rd.go.th/index.php/en/

Do you have to show the actual item purchased eg. laptop? I know you need the receipt with proper VAT annotation and get it stamped before entering Immigration, then go to VAT refund.

Review this website which is the Revenue Dept website talking VAT Refund: http://vrtweb.rd.go.th/index.php/en/component/vrt/main/1?layout=newslist

Just one snapshot of available info below.

post-55970-0-58842800-1457070309_thumb.j

Do you have to show the actual item purchased eg. laptop? I know you need the receipt with proper VAT annotation and get it stamped before entering Immigration, then go to VAT refund.

Review this website which is the Revenue Dept website talking VAT Refund: http://vrtweb.rd.go.th/index.php/en/component/vrt/main/1?layout=newslist

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

The website does not say anything about, if it's allowed to use the item before leaving Thailand.

Maybe best to present the item in original box, so it looks unused.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

The website does not say anything about, if it's allowed to use the item before leaving Thailand.

Maybe best to present the item in original box, so it looks unused.

Of course you could use it...and keenaiu96 didn't ask "could he use it"....he asked if he had to show the actual item. As long as you show the item when leaving (within 60 days) and the required receipts that is all that is needed. If you had the receipt for a laptop it's going to show the brand, model, etc....maybe even the serial number depending on the store.

Here's another page from above website that breaks it down to three easy steps.

Here's another page from above website that lists the reasons a VAT refund would be disapproved. You are not going to see on this list the item must depart with its original packaging, show no signs of use, etc. Heck, people have up to 60 days to leave the country and claim the refund...I expect in many cases the items they buy are used during that period.

Thx Pib, so have to show the item but I know you can use it during stay in TH. I have been thinking of getting some pricey perfume for my squeeze and giving it to her for use but taking it back for my trip to Europe and returning back with same item. Airport duty free shops have limited selection of real quality perfumes and are usually overpriced, so export+re-import may be a good thing.

You should get 7% but there are some service charge that make it little lesser

Most people expect to get that, but imagine if the VAT was 100%

So an item valued at 5,000 will have added 5,000 in VAT and cost 10,000.

Would you then expect to get 100% back?. It would be nice though.

5000 in added VAT on a 5000 baht purchase?! I can see you don't know the VAT is Thailand is 7%...that's what's being talked about for refund. You are probably confusing possible import and excise taxes with VAT.

5000 in added VAT on a 5000 baht purchase?! I can see you don't know the VAT is Thailand is 7%...that's what's being talked about for refund. You are probably confusing possible import and excise taxes with VAT.
On second read of your post I now realize you where probably just using an extreme example. So never mind by above post...I expect you do indeed understand the VAT amount.

There's a small processing fee involved as well, I think.

If you are buying an item that is generally sold at a fixed price (a Samsung phone/tablet for example) then it may be easier and cheaper to buy it in the Duty Free section as there you do actually pay the street price less the tax. Obviously you need to check details for each individual item

Hi Kittenkong,

I think you are right If you are buying an item that is generally sold at a fixed price.

Thanks