UK police appeal for help to find Devon girl missing in Thailand

webfact

What I'm missing here? A father went to Thailand with is half Thai daughter, to see the kids family or ex wife the mother of the kid. Correct? They might stay with the ex wife, fell in love again??

Please enlighten me.

Where do you see that she is "half Thai"? I do not see it mentioned anywhere. Would think it would be, if it were the case.

Evidentally there were concerns about his treatment of her prior to going to Thailand as a child welfare hearing was already scheduled. Indeed his going to Thailand may have been to avoid the hearing and possible loss of custody and/or criminal charges that might have resulted.

What exactly the concerns were, we don't know.

Very true.... We don't know.

And in not knowing, your comment that "evidently there were concerns about his treatment of her.... " is prejudicial and assumptive.... They may be running from an abusive mother

All we can really do is hope that dad and daughter are safe and well, failing that, then that they are found and restored to a safe environment.... but more information is needed to galvanize public support, given the demonstrated lack of faith in the (seemingly holier than thou) social services system

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All publicly known fact is included in this report in a respected British newspaper

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/03/uk-and-thai-police-search-for-devon-girl-in-bangkok

Speculation is unhelpful.

All that matters is that the child is found (hopefully, safe and well)

What then happens is a matter for the UK/Thai authorities to determine

I believe it is the FATHER who goes to the ATM, store, buys air tickets .. etc.

How about a picture and info about HIM?

Let me tell you ... if they had simply taped his picture to every cash register at 7-11 and Tesco ... with a 10,000 baht reward ...

He would be in custody, and we would know his favorite brand of crisps.

Is it just me???

Why should he be in custody ? He is with his daughter and there seems to be no reason he shouldn't be.

The courts in the UK have a habit of trying to destroy families for some reason.

Have a read thru the many cases whereby children have been taken away from their parents because.... well because they can, cant really continue posting this without having a good old swear.

Oh and don't forget the parents of the boy who had cancer a couple of years ago, they took him to Spain I think it was to get the best possible treatment. They ended up being arrested because the NHS and its so called professionals .... Again feel another swear coming on.

Reading the article i am wondering why a father needs permission to take his daughter out of the country? Surely parents have full control over their children and don't need permission from someone else?

Oh, but the government always knows what's best for everyone. If they are unsure they can always ask their masters from the EU. Surely the UN will also handle this.

The child belongs to the state so why should the parents have a say about anything?

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" is one of the biggest lies ever told.

You know, I've always wondered where all those who screamed blue murder about social services doing their job and working to protect those most at risk in society went when they got tired of their ranting and raving.

Often they were the same people who screamed blue murder when social services failed to protect a child who was neglected to the point where they died or suffered serious harm.

Having read some stunningly obtuse posts on this thread, now I know.

Don't get me wrong I know social services get it wrong at times but I'd still rather they continued in their role of caring and looking out for the most at risk.

Edited by Bluespunk

You know, I've always wondered where all those who screamed blue murder about social services doing their job and working to protect those most at risk in society went when they got tired of their ranting and raving.

Often they were the same people who screamed blue murder when social services failed to protect a child who was neglected to the point where they died or suffered serious harm.

Don't get me wrong I know social services get it wrong at times but I'd still rather they continued in their role of caring and looking out for the most at risk.

Do you recall the parents who had 2 of their children taken away from them because one of the kids bruised easily.

Even after it was proven the parents had never hurt the children the courts refused to return the kids to them.

The woman had to leave the country because she got pregnant again and the courts had told them as soon as the baby was born it would be taken from them.

Just how <deleted> up is that ?

They do sometimes get it wrong, sadly even when they know they have got it wrong they still ................................ <deleted>.

Do you recall the parents who had 2 of their children taken away from them because one of the kids bruised easily.

Even after it was proven the parents had never hurt the children the courts refused to return the kids to them.

The woman had to leave the country because she got pregnant again and the courts had told them as soon as the baby was born it would be taken from them.

They do sometimes get it wrong, sadly even when they know they have got it wrong they still ................................ <deleted>.

I've spent 25 years working with children. I've seen over the years the results of there not being any intervention by social services. Not often, not every year, but enough times to know that abuse exists and that I'm all in favour of someone trying to do something about it.

I've spent 25 years working with children. I've seen over the years the results of there not being any intervention by social services. Not often, not every year, but enough times to know that abuse exists and that I'm all in favour of someone trying to do something about it.

I think we all know abuse exists, one doesn't need to go to class to learn that. Trouble is social services tend to look the other way when abuse is clear.

I think we all know abuse exists, one doesn't need to go to class to learn that. Trouble is social services tend to look the other way when abuse is clear.

Not true.

I've lost track. Is there an indication or allegations that this child is being abused by the father? Is there any indication that the child was being abused by the mother? Is there any indication that anything is happening other than the government wanting to have control?

If there is any indication that the child is being abused, I'm all for the government stepping in. I know it happens and I know it's necessary. I also know of cases where they totally get it wrong and abuse their discretion.

Cheers.

I've lost track. Is there an indication or allegations that this child is being abused by the father? Is there any indication that the child was being abused by the mother? Is there any indication that anything is happening other than the government wanting to have control?

If there is any indication that the child is being abused, I'm all for the government stepping in. I know it happens and I know it's necessary. I also know of cases where they totally get it wrong and abuse their discretion.

Cheers.

On this specific case I have no idea what the problem is and don't wish to speculate on it.

My post was in response to some of the more eccentric posts, regarding the role of social services, that have been made on this thread, not this case.

Edited by Bluespunk

Reading the article i am wondering why a father needs permission to take his daughter out of the country? Surely parents have full control over their children and don't need permission from someone else?

Of course he does not need permission (other than from the mother if she is alive and if she has joint custody -- both things we don't know) to take his daughter out of the country. Though he may well need permission to take her out of school for 4 months.

The issue seems to have arisen because of his failure to attend the hearing. If he had gone and come back in time for that, would not be an issue.

Those who assume the hearing was unwarranted state interference and those who assume there was abuse taking place are in both instances projecting their own experiences onto a situation of which they have no personal knowledge. Likewise those assuming an ex-wife is behind this.

Fact is, we simply do not know.

I've lost track. Is there an indication or allegations that this child is being abused by the father? Is there any indication that the child was being abused by the mother? Is there any indication that anything is happening other than the government wanting to have control? If there is any indication that the child is being abused, I'm all for the government stepping in. I know it happens and I know it's necessary. I also know of cases where they totally get it wrong and abuse their discretion.

Here's an oh-so-typical account of what the UK government gets up to, usually in secret.In this case, it was exposed. In most cases, you can go to prison (it's called innocuously "contempt of court") for revealing any information, no matter how minor, about your kids or your plight with the "child protection" agencies. (BTW, the clandestine recording of the social worker stating: "we will be applying for a court order to remove your baby at birth and put it up for adoption, even though we have no particular concerns..." was quickly removed from youtube following a court order.)

If it didn't happen to us in almost exactly the same way, I would never have believed it. Like most people, I would have thought it's some kind of sensationalist reporting or at the very least "there's no smoke without fire". We also had a social worker (who we had never met before) introduce herself to myself and my pregnant wife with the words: "Hello, my name is Su Tan. We have concerns about the welfare of your baby when it is born, so we will be applying for an ICO to take it away at birth and try to find a good family who will adopt it and look after it properly."

Since that moment on, I recorded everything, even the court proceedings. I also provided video evidence of how we took care of our children in the 6-8 years since they were born and how happy and healthy they appear, but the judge refused to look at it. Throughout the sorry saga, we were presumed guilty and we had to prove our innocence (viz. our ability to care for our children safely and without neglect, which includes agreeing not to homeschool them of course) beyond a reasonable doubt. We engaged two separate legal teams (one to represent me and another to represent my wife). We were lucky (!) because the legal teams understood perfectly that it wasn't about "rights" or "the law", it was about massaging the egos of the social workers and their managers, and the local authority legal advisors, and the children's guardian, and most importantly the judge(s) at the Family Court. Nearly everyone else I subsequently met who had similar experiences did not have the same legal guns as us and they usually lost their children.

My belief is that the main reason why real abuse is seldom discovered is because the authorities are squandering all their time and resources on chasing after irrelevant little "concerns" and have nothing left to investigate the real cases. I've been advocating that social workers should represent the parents exclusively, in a case of a family in crisis or who are simply struggling to make ends meet, and to provide whatever resources and help they can think of to help the family to cope. If there are any real concerns of real child abuse (viz., sexual molestation, physical violence, real neglect) then that should be the responsibility of a special child-protection police force, not the job of social workers with psychology degrees they picked up at the North London College for Nurses. (Fat chance...)

BTW, what Su Tan and the Calderdale council (in the youtube clip) failed to realise is that their intended actions were completely illegal according to an ECHR ruling in 2000. This ruling was the result of a case where a baby that was wrongfully given away at birth for adoption and even when it was subsequently deemed illegal it wasn't possible for the baby to be returned! The legal process took so long that it was deemed too emotionally traumatic and unsettling for the child to be told that the adopted parents weren't her real parents and that she had been stolen. She'll be about 20 now. So I wonder whether they've told her yet and what kind of psychological trauma she'll be experiencing if that were the case...

Edited by RapidMethod

The UK courts and SS have very wide ranging legal powers in the UK, fortunately they are of no consequence in Thailand. They can wave the big stick, huff and puff but without the father and daughter within their jurisdiction there is sweet FA they can do.

There is no law or statute in Thailand for abducting ones own children so they have not broken any laws here. Children under 15 do not need a visa, so as long as the fathers immigration status is sound he should have nothing to worry about.

I have some first hand experience of this and my advice to the father would be to ignore the SS & judiciary cants back in England, do not listen to or co operate with anything they suggest. The UKSS are nothing more than a bunch of self serving sycophants to a corrupted and bloated legal establishment.

If the father wants to PM me I can give advice in relation to my own dealings with UK family courts.

Have to agree, i also was the "bad guy" the court ruled i could only see my daughters under supervision , my crime = throwing a drink over my kids mother , the fact the new boyfriend smashed my 70+ yr old parent car to bits had no bearing on the case !, i refused to be treated like i was an unfit father after the first time i took my kids out of the supervision center we were followed by the X and the new plonker on the block ,so did not have contact for 5 yrs, when my oldest daughter was 16 she came to see me and was soon telling me how they were made to lie to SS by being kicked under the table to either "shut up or speak out ", i still have not seen my youngest daughter for 12 yrs now , she was totally brainwashed at the age of 4 , my eldest who was 8 remembers i was a good dad who always had time for them ,......i would never "dob" this guy in to be persecuted by a one eyed systed that favours the mother 96% of the time and agrees to unjustfied requests to satisfy the mother, there is only 1 side to the story as far as the SS is concerned , i will never forgive what they did to my Daughters and myself , the results of which are continuing to this day, i urge anyone reading this to find out more about this story before acting blindly to help authorities who have a lot to answer for, from kidnapping children and sending kids to australia in the 40s to the present, i have no time for them , would 'nt trust em to dogsit for me !

I've lost track. Is there an indication or allegations that this child is being abused by the father? Is there any indication that the child was being abused by the mother? Is there any indication that anything is happening other than the government wanting to have control? If there is any indication that the child is being abused, I'm all for the government stepping in. I know it happens and I know it's necessary. I also know of cases where they totally get it wrong and abuse their discretion.

Here's an oh-so-typical account of what the UK government gets up to, usually in secret.In this case, it was exposed. In most cases, you can go to prison (it's called innocuously "contempt of court") for revealing any information, no matter how minor, about your kids or you plight with the "child protection" agencies.

If it didn't happen to us in almost exactly the same way, I would never have believed it. Like most people, I would have thought it's some kind of sensationalist reporting or at the very least "there's no smoke without fire". We also had a social worker (who we had never met before) introduce herself to myself and my pregnant wife with the words: "Hello, my name is Su Tan. We have concerns about the welfare of your baby when it is born, so we will be applying for an ICO to take it away at birth and try to find a good family who will adopt it and look after it properly."

Since that moment on, I recorded everything, even the court proceedings. I also provided video evidence of how we took care of our children in the 6-8 years since they were born and how happy and healthy they appear, but the judge refused to look at it. Throughout the sorry saga, we were presumed guilty and we had to prove our innocence (viz. our ability to care for our children safely and without neglect, which includes agreeing not to homeschool them of course) beyond a reasonable doubt. We engaged two separate legal teams (one to represent me and another to represent my wife). We were lucky (!) because the legal teams understood perfectly that it wasn't about "rights" or "the law", it was about massaging the egos of the social workers and their managers, and the local authority legal advisors, and the children's guardian, and most importantly the judge(s) at the Family Court. Nearly everyone else I subsequently met who had similar experiences did not have the same legal guns as us and they usually lost their children.

My belief is that the main reason why real abuse is seldom discovered is because the authorities are squandering all their time and resources on chasing after irrelevant little "concerns" and have nothing left to investigate the real cases. I've been advocating that social workers should represent the parents exclusively, in a case of a family in crisis or who are simply struggling to make ends meet, and to provide whatever resources and help they can think of to help the family to cope. If there are any real concerns of real child abuse (viz., sexual molestation, physical violence, real neglect) then that should be the responsibility of a special child-protection police force, not the job of social workers with psychology degrees they picked up at the North London College for Nurses. (Fat chance...)

BTW, what Su Tan and the Calderdale council (in the youtube clip) failed to realise is that their intended actions were completely illegal according to an ECHR ruling in 2000. This ruling was the result of a case where a baby that was wrongfully given away at birth for adoption and even when it was subsequently deemed illegal it wasn't possible for the baby to be returned! The legal process took so long that it was deemed too emotionally traumatic and unsettling for the child to be told that the adopted parents weren't her real parents and that she had been stolen. She'll be about 20 now. So I wonder whether they've told her yet and what kind of psychological trauma she'll be experiencing if that were the case...

I have great empathy for you and thank you for your sharing this candidly with us.

UK social services, when they do get it wrong, do so spectacularly. There have been many cases where social services have been shown to be wholly inadequate, ineffective, inefficient, and very unprofessional. In many of these cases those responsible either refuse to resign, leave with a "golden handshake", a dismissed and claim unfair dismissal or quietly return back to work when the dust settles. Many are shown to be politically driven both in actions and in taking no action.

There is no doubt responsibility lies with councils as well. They are elected to ensure the public receive good professional services. Family courts are well known among the legal profession as being the most unpredictable with some of the most "abstract" judges.

The whole process needs a massive overhaul.

I won't speculate on this case, other than to note that in the absence of a court order restricting travel. the parent and child would not face any challenges. If the other parent objected she would need to take legal action to prevent it. Social services requesting a meeting is irrelevant. If they had strong reasons to believes she was in danger then they should have applied for a court order. Not asked for a meeting and then been surprised.

"Miles failed to attend a meeting arranged by Devon council to address concerns about the girl’s welfare. A judge has officially ordered that she be returned to the UK."

A custody battle, no reason to think that Zara is in trouble.

We had to attend several meetings arranged by the Social Services at the local council. If I knew then what I know now, I would have also taken the first plane out the country with my kids before getting inextricably embroiled in the legal process. These meetings are a farce. Parents have absolutely no legal rights and the meetings are basically rubber-stamping decisions already taken by the social workers privately beforehand. The only rights parents have are to be formally informed of the decision: their own input is irrelevant. Usually, the meeting is simply to inform the parent(s) that the child's name is to be placed on the At Risk Register, without any explanation what this means and what the implications are. Well, the implications are dire: officially, the family is entitled to "support" by the various children's services but what happens in practice is that if the parent(s) don't "cooperate" then it is very easy to obtain an order to remove the child, the parent(s) don't need to be present at the court hearing (which basically rubber-stamps the Interim Care Order) and they needn't be informed either until after the fact. An ICO gives the Social Services power over the child for about 2 months, but it is always routinely renewed indefinitely (every two months) by a family court judge. With an ICO, children can be removed and placed in foster care - and if the child is young and cute the standard procedure is to start the process of putting it up for adoption (without requiring the biological parents' consent). Older children's wishes are routinely ignored also (illegally so according to the Voice of the Child). Zara will have no say in who she'd prefer to live with, despite being the legal age of consent, usually around 11 or 12...

It's a grinding, inexorable process that can't be easily stopped once started. Get out while you can! Trevor, you did the right thing.

not seen anyone mention the rights of the real thai mother , i suspect she was possibly denied a visit visa and both mother and daughter denied an emotional reunion ,could this be a possible reason ? we don't know ,the ukba release hundreds if not thousands of illegal immigrants every year,but try getting your wife of 5/6/7 yrs a visa , NO WAY !, you can have a relationship akin to marraige living apart ! W H A T ?!, I do'nt see the validity in the refusals , you can own 3 houses and still not make a profit of 18.6k , why do they insist on stating that "you are not entitled to state benefits" , is it so difficult to say NO, your not entitled IF a claim is made whilst there ?. until we know more about this father /daughter keep shtum , I for one would buy the guy a beer before grassing him up .Let the girl see her real mum if this is whats behind it all , we dont know

I know that he has reported to the Thai police with his daughter. They are no longer missing. The Thai mother does not live in UK and walked away from her daughter when the baby was 1 year old. He has taken good care of her since. There has been no child abuse. He loves his daughter and she wants to stay in Thailand with her dad. As Rapid Method says is all about an over zealous social worker. He took his daughter to the UK, to get her in school. He was harrassed

and threatened by the SS. They threatened to take her away because she had been home schooled. As there was no court order in place at the time, he decided to save his kid and take her to Thailand. He left before the SS could make a control order, so he has done nothing wrong.

I know that he has reported to the Thai police with his daughter. They are no longer missing. The Thai mother does not live in UK and walked away from her daughter when the baby was 1 year old. He has taken good care of her since. There has been no child abuse. He loves his daughter and she wants to stay in Thailand with her dad. As Rapid Method says is all about an over zealous social worker. He took his daughter to the UK, to get her in school. He was harrassed

and threatened by the SS. They threatened to take her away because she had been home schooled. As there was no court order in place at the time, he decided to save his kid and take her to Thailand. He left before the SS could make a control order, so he has done nothing wrong.

Where does it say that? Do you have a link to where that is being reported?

Genuine request, not doubting your post.

Edited by Bluespunk

Totally unsurprised that most people jump to the conclusion that the girl is in some sort of danger.

I noticed many instances of children being taking better care of by their dad than their mum.

Many females in today's world act like immature adolescents when they go out. Some act like men! Drink pints because of the attitude that "if men can do it, why can't we?" Unfortunately, most cannot handle copious amounts of alcohol and as such, find themselves all over social media the next morning strewn across the street with miniskirt around waist flashing her Alan Whicker's and James Hunt for all the world to see! Very graceful!

My son was about 4 when me and his mum had a break and I received a call to let me know she was down the local pissed and my boy was there. I went down and he saw me, his face lit up and he ran into my arms. I turned around to leave and she started scowling at me trying to wrestle him from me. He said he wanted to go with me which made her worse! Quite embarrassing really.

Needless to say, he came home with me and that was that. Even her dad agreed that he should have come with me!

She ended up an alcoholic but thankfully is clean now.

Please keep an open mind. Not all dads are absent selfish pricks. I willingly did everything for my boy. Why wouldn't I? He's my son, I'm his dad, and most time custody goes in favour of the mother. Maybe this guy is at a similar stage and doesn't want to lose his daughter?

I suspect and hope that this is the case here.

Cheers

Edited by Walter Travolta

thank you for yhis. Good to have first hand info to fill in the gaps.

I agree Sheryl but their is still a big question to be answered. Her mother was Thai, she walked out when the daughter was just a year old. The Thai mother does not live in the uk, so if the mother resides in Thailand, and that's an if. This could cause tears for someone.

I agree Sheryl but their is still a big question to be answered. Her mother was Thai, she walked out when the daughter was just a year old. The Thai mother does not live in the uk, so if the mother resides in Thailand, and that's an if. This could cause tears for someone.
I fail to see how? Zara was 1 when her mother walked out. I bet she doesn't even know or care. Many Thai women leave their children for months at a time without a second thought. This 'mother' has been absent for years.

Well done to the father, putting his daughter before anything else

Totally unsurprised that most people jump to the conclusion that the girl is in some sort of danger.

I noticed many instances of children being taking better care of by their dad than their mum.

Many females in today's world act like immature adolescents when they go out. Some act like men! Drink pints because of the attitude that "if men can do it, why can't we?" Unfortunately, most cannot handle copious amounts of alcohol and as such, find themselves all over social media the next morning strewn across the street with miniskirt around waist flashing her Alan Whicker's and James Hunt for all the world to see! Very graceful!

My son was about 4 when me and his mum had a break and I received a call to let me know she was down the local pissed and my boy was there. I went down and he saw me, his face lit up and he ran into my arms. I turned around to leave and she started scowling at me trying to wrestle him from me. He said he wanted to go with me which made her worse! Quite embarrassing really.

Needless to say, he came home with me and that was that. Even her dad agreed that he should have come with me!

She ended up an alcoholic but thankfully is clean now.

Please keep an open mind. Not all dads are absent selfish pricks. I willingly did everything for my boy. Why wouldn't I? He's my son, I'm his dad, and most time custody goes in favour of the mother. Maybe this guy is at a similar stage and doesn't want to lose his daughter?

I suspect and hope that this is the case here.

Cheers

been having WiFi problems last couple of days and freespirit posted that they were no longer missing before I posted the above. I have only just seen it just to clear up any confusion.

Of course he does not need permission (other than from the mother if she is alive and if she has joint custody -- both things we don't know) to take his daughter out of the country. Though he may well need permission to take her out of school for 4 months.

The issue seems to have arisen because of his failure to attend the hearing. If he had gone and come back in time for that, would not be an issue.

Those who assume the hearing was unwarranted state interference and those who assume there was abuse taking place are in both instances projecting their own experiences onto a situation of which they have no personal knowledge. Likewise those assuming an ex-wife is behind this.

I would be surprised if the father even knows he should have gone to a hearing.

Chances are a letter would have been sent to the address he used to live in in the UK. He isn't there now.

And that is all the UK government need to destroy a mans life. Oh and his daughters too.

They have specialist that will try to brainwash that girl into believing her father is evil for taking her away and that she should never see him again.

Edit.

Had not seen the above posts before I posted this. If you have half a clue what goes on in the world you don't need to have first hand experience to realize just how evil those people with a little bit of power can be.

Thanks to the above for sharing their experiences and well done for beating the system.

Edited by berybert

Chances are a letter would have been sent to the address he used to live in in the UK. He isn't there now.

And that is all the UK government need to destroy a mans life. Oh and his daughters too.

They have specialist that will try to brainwash that girl into believing her father is evil for taking her away and that she should never see him again.

from post #84 it appears he did know and this was the reason he left....concern about possible loss of custody

Also appears the issue was that he had home schooled her so not a matter of abuse by any reasonable definition.

If even half of what has been said in this thread re UK social services is true I am really shocked. In the US it is the opposite extreme.

from post #84 it appears he did know and this was the reason he left....concern about possible loss of custody

Also appears the issue was that he had home schooled her so not a matter of abuse by any reasonable definition.

If even half of what has been said in this thread re UK social services is true I am really shocked. In the US it is the opposite extreme.

When you live in the UK you get used to it.

Not sure if you ever read the story of baby P ? One of social services greatest failures. I think it took a public outcry and the full force of the media to force the woman in charge stand down. And even then she got a big pay off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084972/Treated-like-dog-used-punchbag-The-life-death-baby-boy-called-Smiley.html

The story is one of many. As a poster above mentioned they spend far to much time trying to 'get' decent loving parents to worry about saving those in need.

I mentioned earlier about a British boys whos parents were arrested for acting in his best interests

http://news.yahoo.com/british-boy-ashya-headed-spain-cancer-therapy-143451468.html

If anyone can tell me why real parents end up in jail and keep apart from a frightened very sick little boy, while sick evil bastards are allowed to carry on living with their son long enough to kill him please speak now.